06 Ram 1500 Transmission Issues - Advice Please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brocktricitydodge

Reaction score
Hi And Thanks ahead of time for your advice

I have a 2006 Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab 4x4 5.7L HEMI A/T with about 145K, I bought this truck as trade into my old dealer about 5-6 years ago with 100K on it. Since I've owned it I've replaced the bedsides, NHOU undercoated every year, replaced suspension all around, brakes, tires, power steering cooler, transmission lines, thermostat, plugs, all fluids several times, and many more things. It's been a decent truck but the transmission always felt a little sluggish. Within the past year or so I developed an issue where if I went from D to R, or R to D soon after a start it would stall out sometimes, or it might need to rev up a bit to move in drive right away. About 2-3 months ago I started getting a noise that I thought was an alternator, I'm being told it's my torque converter. Anyway, the sound is getting louder and so I've stopped driving it.

I've been advised to replace just the torque converter, then I've been told that it's a waste of money because I should rebuild part of the transmission with a Mopar kit, and then I'm being told just to replace the transmission.

Financially I'm not at a place where I can waste a ton of money, or get a new truck right now.

I've looked at remanufactured transmissions at Advance or whatever parts stores for around $1,900, Mopar doesn't offer a reman anymore. I also thought about just repairing the transmission I have.

Has anyone else experienced this? I've never had a transmission issue in my life

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Welcome to 3rd gen 545RFE ownership lol. You'll love the rest of the truck, you'll hate the trans.

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I don't have your tranny or your problem. However I did have a chevy cavalier wagon that had an over drive lock up solenoid that would stall me every time I came off the highway until I figured out what it was and unplugged it. You might look for something like that, but I hear your tranny has a bad rep all the time so a rebuild may be your best option.

I have looked at rebuild videos and when you do it like the pros and separate the internals into the 3-4 main components it doesn't seem that daunting. So if you are handy and have tools you may be able to do it yourself. It's really just cleaning and replacing, but there are places where wear is critical and hard for a novice to see. Still, if you don't have the cash for a reputably rebuilt unit, but have time, your effort may get you the miles you need. I've got a tranny shop 5 blocks away and they are always packed. You might look for a shop like that to see what they will charge you for a rebuild if you bring it in.

Check for codes!

CorDog009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine has done that a handfull of times. Last year for some reason only between 70 and 75 the converter would unlock and lock back maybe once or twice a week for about a month. Made me a little leery of it and I bought a new car just to be on the safe side. Ever since then the converter issue hasn't reappeared, but maybe once every 2 months or so it'll try to stall when going from reverse to drive, or when going from park to reverse it'll not engage and feel like it's in neutral for a few seconds..go back to park then reverse again and it'll slam into gear. I was thinking it might be tcm related, or hoping anyway since that'd be an easier fix. 99% of the time it drives fine now though.