Tailgate assist

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sixxram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just wondering about the DZ tailgate assist. Looks like some are complaining on installation. Is it a PITA? Is DZ the only one made or are there other, possibly better versions?

RamRod666

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It was the first mod I did to my truck. I had read some similar reviews but to be honest the install was very straight forward and the results were just as expected. The hardest thing to get used to is the tailgate not dropping on you.

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Mine i dont believe was a dezee although it looks identical and the instructions are the exact same ones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

unkalj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Very simple installation. Make sure shock bolt is measured at 3/4 inch and be sure to turn bolt 9 turns a full 360 degrees or will not tighten properly. DeeZee has a nice you tube video on their website showing the installation as well.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Get it. Its a no brainer. For a while there was a problem with it rubbing and not fitting well. That has been resolved, just make sure you get the part number for the 2014. Best upgrade. These trucks should have just come with it.

OP
OP
Sixxram

Sixxram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah it one of the things really liked about the Tundra when I looked at it. I was just wondering because I saw some complaining about some "nut" that sounded hard to get to tighten.

OP
OP
Sixxram

Sixxram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine i dont believe was a dezee although it looks identical and the instructions are the exact same ones

So there is a different brand?

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was not able to get the nut tightened and I followed the directions and tried for an hour...
Deezee is sending another install kit, so I'll give it another shot before I write it off. :)

OP
OP
Sixxram

Sixxram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was not able to get the nut tightened and I followed the directions and tried for an hour...
Deezee is sending another install kit, so I'll give it another shot before I write it off. :)

Exactly what I'm afraid of.

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The concept is great if it would install and function as intended, but the installation parts are poorly designed, imho.

It's the "nutsert" that gave me problems. It is supposed to work like a drywall anchor (pictured).

The problem I had was turning the nut caused the nutsert to turn inside the tailgate and that wouldn't allow it to collapse inside the hole, despite the washers and silly little ball bearing... :crazy:

Attachments

• drywall anchor.jpg
    drywall anchor.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 115
OP
OP
Sixxram

Sixxram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The concept is great if it would install and function as intended, but the installation parts are poorly designed, imho.

It's the "nutsert" that gave me problems. It is supposed to work like a drywall anchor (pictured).

The problem I had was turning the nut caused the nutsert to turn inside the tailgate and that wouldn't allow it to collapse inside the hole, despite the washers and silly little ball bearing... :crazy:

That's what I've been reading. Sadly, what you are going through, is exactly what usually happens to me.

Jeff CA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I installed it. It was easy to install and works great. Be sure to count how many turns you tighten the nutsert, following the instructions. I used a small paint dot to clock the nutsert.

Reactions: PX8

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I followed the directions to a T and had problems

Paint dot for reference, measured 3/4" and turned it 9 times and was able to pull the nutsert right out
Their directions say 9 turns but their video says 9-12
I was able to put the screw back in and give it a few more turns

Their directions give a torque to tighten the bolt to but the nutsert started spinning before I got to the torque

The washer supplied was to thick and made the shock head hit the tailgate (same hint on my dad's '11)

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is one of my favorite mods. I love asking this kids (5 and 7) to open the tailgate for me when we're at a hardware store or recycle depot, with people around expecting it to drop on them.

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So there is a different brand?

Ya dont even know what brand, wife ordered it for christmas last year, box is plain with nothing on same for shock, same issues as most though had to tighten the nutsert alot more then they say in the instructions, still has lifetime warranty

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel

When I did mine I got it tightened on but when I went to insert the little bolt with a ball end it slid right in! Almost as if they sent me one that was too big so the bolt wouldn't catch threads. They've sent me a new one but now I can't get the old nut insert out of the tailgate! Lol

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
When I did mine I got it tightened on but when I went to insert the little bolt with a ball end it slid right in! Almost as if they sent me one that was too big so the bolt wouldn't catch threads. They've sent me a new one but now I can't get the old nut insert out of the tailgate! Lol

Could you cut it from the outside then grab the piece inside from the access panel?

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Could you cut it from the outside then grab the piece inside from the access panel?

I think that's what I'll have to do. There is enough room to get the sawzall in there, i'll just have to be careful! That's tonight's project, along with installing my airlift system and troubleshooting an HID issue! Haha

sport654

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The nutsert was a PITA. Just squirt the bearings with a little WD4 & put threadlock on the thread portion of the fastener. This will stop the whole nutsert assembly from spinning and allow the molly portion to open up & grab Although you put threadlock on the fastener, don't worry it will still back out. The assist is a great mod once installed & working.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reyzapien88