Tailgate Theft Due to Tailgate Latch Recall

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

carsonwb12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Morning Gents,

So I have been battling Ram Customer Service for the past week for the theft of my tailgate due to the recall of the tailgate latch (U74 recall).
As a back story, my tailgate was stolen while my truck has parked in front of my house during the wee morning hours on 09/20/2018. I am 99.99% sure I locked my vehicle as I am pretty religious about locking it whenever I get out. I received the recall notification sometime the week after, between 09/24-09/28.
Ram Customer Service is telling me that this is an insurance and police issue and that they do not handle thefts, which I would agree had my tailgate been stolen AFTER I received the recall notice... but that is not the case.

Has anyone else had this coincidence and if so, been successful with having RAM either replace or pay your deductible to go through your insurance?

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
welcome

My thought is it is going to be up to your insurance. Right now you are assuming FCA is responsible/liable because there is a recall. What you can't prove is that the tailgate was stolen due to the defect. I can tell you that the defect doesn't prevent the tailgate from locking. Having said that, how do you know they didn't pry the plastic handle breaking it out allowing accessing to get it open? Also how can you prove that something like that didn't occur?

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow never thought of that scenario

Trucks parked outside, tailgate drops while your sleeping, thief’s drive by and see that easy picking and steal the tailgate

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Just 1 of the many reasons I install security carmeras for my customers.
Sorry to hear about your misfortune @carsonwb12 i wouldn’t count on them covering your deductible although it’s a coincidence they are far from responsible for the act of thief.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
While interesting and a plausible scenario, you are not going to come out on top in this argument with FCA to cover anything.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
It's an insurance deal. FCA isn't going to cover this. In my state, it would be covered under comprehensive.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
As stated above put a lock it or put a stainless steel gear clamp(44mm) on the right side hinge.
Even if the tailgate was locked and latched, the handle can be broken to unlock the gate or the access panel can be removed to access the lock.

OP
OP
carsonwb12

carsonwb12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Appreciate the feed back guys. I knew going into it that it was going to be a long shot but figured 'what the hell' doesn't hurt to try.

I did make a police report the day it was stolen and have kept an eye out on craigslist but haven't found anything. I'll just bite the bullet and pay the deductible. Fortunately enough it is a comprehensive claim so it doesn't raise my rates when my renewal comes around.

Already have the tailgate lock ordered and should be here tomorrow.

Reactions: JB1

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you don't have some kind of cover all they would have to do is unscrew the back panel, wouldn't make any difference if it was locked or not. All locks at good for is to keep honest people honest. If a thief decides he wants something bad enough he'll get it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
:welcome: I installed a Pop & Lock PL3400 Manual Tailgate Lock on my tailgate handle, and I also installed a SS hose clamp on the hinge that has to be lifted out to remove the tailgate. These will slow a thief down, maybe even stop them cold. Along with my alarm system, and the Dee Zee tailgate assist, I hope these will be a good deterrent, if it happens while I am within ear shot, my Glock 30SF will work too.
View media item 26378

liftedpsd2010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
heme
:welcome: I installed a Pop & Lock PL3400 Manual Tailgate Lock on my tailgate handle, and I also installed a SS hose clamp on the hinge that has to be lifted out to remove the tailgate. These will slow a thief down, maybe even stop them cold. Along with my alarm system, and the Dee Zee tailgate assist, I hope these will be a good deterrent, if it happens while I am within ear shot, my Glock 30SF will work too.
View media item 26378

Nice to see another Glock lover here. I’m kind of addicted...
7eccbc6b383bbff7a536007e13fbe9f3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk