tank size

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bigger.
Anyone have any insight to the doug ram post?

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Newbe here. I just ordered a 2021 1500 Bighorn with the 3.0 Ecodiesel. I tow a 6000 pound travel trailer long distance, so I really wanted the 33 gallon tank. The sales manager could not order one. He checked twice. Three times. It simply was not an allowed option combination. We tried to do it on every trim level. When he added the tank, the system forced him to choose a different engine. He couldn't recall seeing one. He asked the service manager, who couldn't remember seeing one either. Service guy thinks its the DEF tank is in the way. I'd be really really interested to hear if anyone here has a 33 gallon tank and the 3.0 Ecodiesel on the Ram 1500.

Thanks
That's strange. The online configuration tool allows it. But that's not what dealerships use when ordering. I know I've read on other forums about people claiming to have the ecodiesel and 33 gallon tank, but those were pre-2021 models. Maybe they changed it for 2021. When I was shopping for a truck last year (2020 MY), the dealership configured a Limited with the ecodiesel and 33 gallon tank. So it is something they were doing at that time at least.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I drive a longer distances with my ecodiesel, i have the large tank.
My most common trip without pulling anything, is from San Diego to El Paso, i only stop in Yuma Arizona to top off the tank & then i can drive to Exit 37 in El Paso Texas before refueling. That is around 600 miles.

If you are pulling a trailer, some fuel stations can be a pain, so fewer stops is always a good thing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel 3.0L
My best mileage on the 33 gallon tank is 734 miles on 1 tank but i routinely get 650 miles before filling up, i think its definitely worth the upgrade.

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
Question answered. I consulted the sales manager at my ordering dealer today (he was not there Friday). I asked him if the 33 gallon tank was really not available with the ecodiesel in my Quad cab 1500 truck. He said none of the ecodiesel 1500 Quad cabs get the larger 33 gallon tank. There is not enough room for both the DEF tank and the 33 gallon tank in the Quad cab. To get the larger tank and a diesel engine, I have to order a Crew cab. So I changed my order to a short bed crew cab.

Papa Red

Papa Red
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You will enjoy the extra room of the crew cab. I was very surprised at how much room was back there. I love mine.

Red

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
I was surprised how much room was in the back of the Quad Cab -- as much as there is in my Frontier's Crew Cab. Leo The Great (dog) is going to be awfully comfortable. It won't be hard to take a nap back there on long trips. When the wife is driving...

OP
OP
J

Justin Matthews

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
That's strange. The online configuration tool allows it. But that's not what dealerships use when ordering. I know I've read on other forums about people claiming to have the ecodiesel and 33 gallon tank, but those were pre-2021 models. Maybe they changed it for 2021. When I was shopping for a truck last year (2020 MY), the dealership configured a Limited with the ecodiesel and 33 gallon tank. So it is something they were doing at that time at least.

I just ordered my 2021 with eco and 33 gallon...

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
Been playing with the configurator this am. It seems as if there is no 33 gallon tank with any EcoDiesel Tradesman or any Diesel Quad configuration. At least for 2021.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
The mpg depends a great deal on where you are doing your driving. Stop and go driving or crawling long back roads and the mpg will drop considerably.

Barely 20% of the gas stations in my state have diesel at the pumps so I drive twice as far to get fuel as with a gas engine. If I lived where B20 was at the pumps I would drive further to get B5 or better diesel fuel.

Flame Red Rebel

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Rebel
Engine
Hemi Hybrid
Bigger always, only down side is at the pumps.........LOL

Yes bigger is better PER the WIFE !!! ROFL

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6

That is not true as the larger tank option also requires a Level 1 or Level 2 package that is going to cost a couple thousand dollars.

If you drive outside of the cities then having more range with a tank of diesel is great for peace of mind. Not a big deal when a gas engine runs out of fuel but it is for a diesel engine with the priming needed.

MPG also depends on hills and headwinds and tow loads and the amount of diesel needed can double. My diesel 2500 got 22 mpg on level highways with nothing being towed and no wind. With a 10 mph headwind and towing a travel trailer in the mountains the mpg was 10-11 for the truck.

OP
OP
J

Justin Matthews

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
That is not true as the larger tank option also requires a Level 1 or Level 2 package that is going to cost a couple thousand dollars.

If you drive outside of the cities then having more range with a tank of diesel is great for peace of mind. Not a big deal when a gas engine runs out of fuel but it is for a diesel engine with the priming needed.

MPG also depends on hills and headwinds and tow loads and the amount of diesel needed can double. My diesel 2500 got 22 mpg on level highways with nothing being towed and no wind. With a 10 mph headwind and towing a travel trailer in the mountains the mpg was 10-11 for the truck.

Ordering from the website options, the 33gal tank on 1500 is a stand alone option that is 445$. Both as quoted from the website and dealership.

unless they changed something in the last 3 weeks... there isn’t a larger package requirement.

It may not be available on the base v6 though? I didn’t look into that.

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
I can't say whether this is true on all other configurations of truck, but on the '21 Bighorn Crew Cab Ecodiesel I ordered, the 33 gallon tank was a standalone option. $445 on the configurator. But only $398 on my order sheet. As of last week no other options were required on my Big Horn. I made sure I had the ecodiesel, bigger tank, and tow package before I went back thru and added the Big Horn Level 2 package and a couple of other things. I had to be picky because I really don't want the 20 inch tires -- for the moderate off roading I will have to do, they really are not wanted/needed. Plus I have to have snow tires in winter, and 20 inch low profile snow tires are really, really, really pricey.