The dreaded code P0171 Lean Condition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrtama48

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi v-8
Hello everyone, I’m a newbie here so first time poster and want to say hello to all of you! Just to give you a little rundown of me and my truck. I have a 2006 Ram 1500 slt quad cab 4x4 with the 5.7. I bought her new in 06 and haven’t wanted another vehicle since. She’s got 160,000 miles and I perform all the maintenance and work on her myself. Now the problem I’ve been having for over a year now is the dreaded code p0171 lean condition. This has been driving me crazy. I’ve thrown the parts cannon at this too many times. I’ve replaced all o2 sensors, put on new exhaust from manifold to tailpipe, new manifold gaskets, map sensor and air temp sensor, new fuel injectors, cleaned the fuel rail, new fuel pump, smoke tested it and found no leaks. And what’s crazy is she drives and runs great but the darn money light keeps coming back. I know many of you are thinking if it runs good then so what but I’m a perfectionist and I won’t stop until I fix it. And also running lean all the time isn’t good my engine. So any tips , advice, walk throughs would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and sorry for the lengthy post.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
some of the videos that i just watched, indicated that there was an exhaust leak, one showed that the exhaust manifold Flange was just barely connected.
He replaced it & both 02 sensors reading returned to normal
................................................................................
Read this, where it reads Causes