Things I am surprised the 5th Gen doesn't have....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Both GM/Chevy and Ford have rear axles rated by AAM for 10,000 pounds. The payload for these trucks is limited by the leaf springs and the load capacity of the wheels and tires.

GM/Chevy diesel trucks still come with the 6-speed Allison transmissions but one can special order the trucks with a 10-speed Allison transmission. I see no real advantage with a 10-speed transmission for a diesel pickup when the engine produces peak torque at 1700 RPM's.

wyo2track

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 2500
Engine
6.4L Hemi w/ 4.10's
Just like the 1500's, I'd suspect to accommodate the new 1500 cab the wheelbases would have to grow a few inches on the heavy duty trucks. I agree that the current 19 and 20 models are more like Gen 4.5. At least they can get the CTD dialed in. The 6.4 w/ 8 spd appears to be competitive even with the new Ford 7.3 and 10 spd. But RAM has fallen behind in the diesel/tranny tech. They need ONE transmission covering all their heavy duty truck lines. I've never agreed with this having to buy a 3500 to get a heavier duty transmission which is less efficient than Ford and GM's offering is ridiculous. And now there's a recall on the 19/20 68RFE tranny. Why? For as long as they've been making it...unbelievable.

OP
OP
SouthTexan

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Just like the 1500's, I'd suspect to accommodate the new 1500 cab the wheelbases would have to grow a few inches on the heavy duty trucks. I agree that the current 19 and 20 models are more like Gen 4.5. At least they can get the CTD dialed in. The 6.4 w/ 8 spd appears to be competitive even with the new Ford 7.3 and 10 spd. But RAM has fallen behind in the diesel/tranny tech. They need ONE transmission covering all their heavy duty truck lines. I've never agreed with this having to buy a 3500 to get a heavier duty transmission which is less efficient than Ford and GM's offering is ridiculous. And now there's a recall on the 19/20 68RFE tranny. Why? For as long as they've been making it...unbelievable.

The 68RFE is different than the pre-2019 trucks. They have a dedicated valve for the TC which allows it to ramp up pressure for smoother lockup. The same with reverse if I am not mistaken. It doesn't do anything for reliability, just smoothness when engaged.