Thinking of trading in my 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Driving my 2020 power wagon i get 17 mpg or so. If i want to get 12mpg i can do that too. Does fine on 87 octane and the owners manual says it was designed to run on 87.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Power wagon my ass, go for the 702 hp TRX:D
It is a bad ass looking truck and you can get a nicely trimmed one for under $100k
:cheers:

David_411

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wrestle with this myself on a weekly basis haha.
At the end of the day I have a hard time getting out of a truck that is paid for into a 2500 which I don't really need.
All I haul is dirtbikes, mountain bikes, and kayaks. Which fits in the 1500 payload perfectly.

Moving into a Power Wagon would be awesome, but I would have to change out the suspension to a Thuren/Carli kit (just the way I am), which would add more cost.

This summer was nice, not having a truck payment allowed us to do some pretty cool trips.
One truck payment these days would cover a day of CAT skiing.

Dalton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 TD
I upgraded to the 2500 with the CTD. Mileage is 20+ highway, 16-17 around town. Towing a 8k lb trailer, gets about 12. Diesel fuel is more expensive to it comes out to about a wash as far a fuel economy but the difference in power is staggering..

Supahflid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi all,

Like the OP, I am considering trading my 2019 Laramie Longhorn for a 2500. The sole reason for considering this change is that I have recently bought a toy hauler and I am not super happy with the way it pulls. The weight of the trailer is on the underside of what the truck is capable of by the numbers and with my heaviest motorcycle in it, it's slightly above the numbers. It doesn't feel unsafe to drive and I've even tried to induce an out of control trailer sway to no effect, it just feels like there is a lot of load on the truck. Braking is no issue at all.

I haven't had the trailer long, but, have hauled it four times since July 4. I REALLY love my 1500 when I'm not hauling the trailer and I don't haul too often otherwise. My wife and I are trying to make one trip a month in the camper so that is the expected use for whatever truck hauls the trailer. I drive a pretty good mix of highway and city and by the time I have driven one year in this truck I will likely have run up about 25,000 miles and that's fairly typical. If the 2500's are like the F250's I used to drive, they ain't much fun running up and down the road without a load. I think I'm on the edge of needing/liking/enjoying a 2500. Insight would be appreciated!!!

Also, I have a vibration when taking off in what I think is the driveline. Once I roll above 10 mph it goes away. Drive shaft?

TIA for replies!

Also, also, this is my first post! Thanks for letting me joint!!!

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Hi all,

Like the OP, I am considering trading my 2019 Laramie Longhorn for a 2500. The sole reason for considering this change is that I have recently bought a toy hauler and I am not super happy with the way it pulls. The weight of the trailer is on the underside of what the truck is capable of by the numbers and with my heaviest motorcycle in it, it's slightly above the numbers. It doesn't feel unsafe to drive and I've even tried to induce an out of control trailer sway to no effect, it just feels like there is a lot of load on the truck. Braking is no issue at all.

I haven't had the trailer long, but, have hauled it four times since July 4. I REALLY love my 1500 when I'm not hauling the trailer and I don't haul too often otherwise. My wife and I are trying to make one trip a month in the camper so that is the expected use for whatever truck hauls the trailer. I drive a pretty good mix of highway and city and by the time I have driven one year in this truck I will likely have run up about 25,000 miles and that's fairly typical. If the 2500's are like the F250's I used to drive, they ain't much fun running up and down the road without a load. I think I'm on the edge of needing/liking/enjoying a 2500. Insight would be appreciated!!!

Also, I have a vibration when taking off in what I think is the driveline. Once I roll above 10 mph it goes away. Drive shaft?

TIA for replies!

Also, also, this is my first post! Thanks for letting me joint!!!
Based on your post, I'd stay 1500. You already don't like how the F250 drives. Ram 2500 has better ride quality, but it's still a purpose built 2500 heavy duty series truck.

I average about 11 city and 17 highway with my 2500, about 11-12 mpg pulling my 6K tt, which it does very well.

I love my 2500 and have no desire to go back to a 1500, but I also have a Rav4 as a spare.

With all the miles you run and only towing once per month, and your dislike of 3/4 ton trucks, stay 1500 and beef it up some to handle the load. I believe @69GWC has done major rear end upgrades to his 1500 with good results.

Just my .o2. Do what is best for you. Good luck