Third Brake Light Upgrade 2022 Laramie

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KYPOTLICKER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looking to upgrade the stock 3rd brake light on a 22 Laramie. Anyone make this upgrade ? Suggestions welcome
Thank you

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
2014 Laramie 1500. I ordered LED reverse lamps and an LED for the 3rd brake light.
I ordered the wrong LEDs for the reverse but found they fit in the cargo lamps. So now I have LED 3rd brake light, LED cargo, and LED reverse.
The reverse lights are like rear-facing headlights and the cargo lights are like stadium lighting. In reverse I can light up the whole back yard, about 3/4 acre.
The 3rd brake light bulb from the factory wasn't bad but the LED kicks it up a bit.
The assembly has never leaked on my truck even though I've had it apart and re-assembled at least 6-7 times.

OP
OP
KYPOTLICKER

KYPOTLICKER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looking at the Morimoto LED third brake light... It was recommended. Nick@GotExhaust has them in stock. No problems reported with this light interfering with the key fob operation

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have no experience, except what I posted. I was thinking you were looking at alternative assemblies, I just wanted to post my own DYI.
The only other thing I can add is that I have heard good things about Morimoto, and very good things about Nick. If you go that way you should be happy with your modification.

DreamWeaver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2014 Laramie 1500. I ordered LED reverse lamps and an LED for the 3rd brake light.
I ordered the wrong LEDs for the reverse but found they fit in the cargo lamps. So now I have LED 3rd brake light, LED cargo, and LED reverse.
The reverse lights are like rear-facing headlights and the cargo lights are like stadium lighting. In reverse I can light up the whole back yard, about 3/4 acre.
The 3rd brake light bulb from the factory wasn't bad but the LED kicks it up a bit.
The assembly has never leaked on my truck even though I've had it apart and re-assembled at least 6-7 times.

Curmudgeon, what bulbs did you buy? Autozone's big book in the aisle didn't specify the hi-mount bulb size or the reverse bulb size. I did buy cargo lights, though. I want to upgrade tomorrow night before I black-RTV my whole light ass'y to my 2012's cab so it doesn't leak again.

Jas34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Curmudgeon, what bulbs did you buy? Autozone's big book in the aisle didn't specify the hi-mount bulb size or the reverse bulb size. I did buy cargo lights, though. I want to upgrade tomorrow night before I black-RTV my whole light ass'y to my 2012's cab so it doesn't leak again.
I used Auxito 194 LED for the license plate lights from Amazon.
EDIT: I may have used these at license plate: https://dieselleds.com/products/premium-dl300-osram-leds-194-license-plate
I used Lumenex for 3rd brake, but they call for a 900 lumen LED.
I used these instead, 1200 lumen...

They say "cargo" but they fit in the 3rd brake light and are 300 lumens brighter.

The CHMSL and cargo lights (cargo lights very bright!) both came from Lumenex. I bought 2 types...
7440-P, WHITE qty 2, and
921-P WHITE, qty 2.

I bought the wrong ones for reverse but found out they fit as cargo bulbs. Pretty sure you want the 921-P WHITE for cargo, the others just look too large to fit. Try buying both, use one set for reverse and one for cargo.

No codes or "bulb out" from anything.

I also tried Sylvania LEDS from a local store and CANBUS showed bulb out right away. I stay away from Sylvania now.

DreamWeaver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm no help with the bulbs, but skip the rtv and use this instead:

I'm torn on this. I bought said seal as my Plan A. Though, my co-worker had tried first replacing the gasket, then tried this seal, then RTV'd sealed it permanently, because he claimed that after a month, both his 1st and 2nd attempts leaked again.

Could this be a regional benefit?
I'm in northeast Ohio.

Thanks.

Jas34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dunno. My seal hasn't been on a month yet. I hate gluing things on and once you go silicone, you don't go back. My real leak was the plugged up sliding window drains anyway.

DreamWeaver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I completely understand. I'm dreading it. Im only at 60k miles and want to keep it many more years. Just want to stop it for good.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Did you use original gasket or change each time ? Tks curmudge

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Did you use original gasket or change each time ? Tks curmudge
First, it must be said that I bought my 2014 used, in 7/2017, with 22,000 miles on it. The only thing I know about what occurred prior is what I could find in a detailed CarFax report. Oil changes and not much else, certainly nothing notable.

Having established that variable, I have had my CHMSL assembly apart probably 6 or 7 times. I have never found it to be leaking before ever removing it the first time and it it is not leaking as recently as yesterday.

I have never modified it other than to install LEDs. I once saw the utility in dry-wiping the gasket and the roof because I had heard about leaks, but never done anything to correct or prevent.

Call me lucky if you must, just don't ask me about my exhaust manifold bolts or my fuel sensor. :rolleyes:

*Also, 106,363 miles as of tonight.

EDIT: based on some of the pics I've seen here on this forum, my gasket *appears* to me to be of the thicker/newer type. That was my immediate impression when I first cracked it open.

Black-Wolf

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dunno. My seal hasn't been on a month yet. I hate gluing things on and once you go silicone, you don't go back. My real leak was the plugged up sliding window drains anyway.
I think you just solved a problem I noticed the other day... :)

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
First, it must be said that I bought my 2014 used, in 7/2017, with 22,000 miles on it. The only thing I know about what occurred prior is what I could find in a detailed CarFax report. Oil changes and not much else, certainly nothing notable.

Having established that variable, I have had my CHMSL assembly apart probably 6 or 7 times. I have never found it to be leaking before ever removing it the first time and it it is not leaking as recently as yesterday.

I have never modified it other than to install LEDs. I once saw the utility in dry-wiping the gasket and the roof because I had heard about leaks, but never done anything to correct or prevent.

Call me lucky if you must, just don't ask me about my exhaust manifold bolts or my fuel sensor. :rolleyes:

*Also, 106,363 miles as of tonight.

EDIT: based on some of the pics I've seen here on this forum, my gasket *appears* to me to be of the thicker/newer type. That was my immediate impression when I first cracked it open.
Thanks again !

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
I replaced the seal on my third brake light and then I laid a good bead of high quality outdoor rated silicone on the body of the truck where the gasket on the light meets the body, and a dab in each screw hold down (speed clip).

I waited for it to cure properly and then I installed my third brake light. Snugged it up nicely and now I have a great seal and no water ingress at all (doused with a hose and at the car wash).

DreamWeaver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I stuck with the Home Depot seal, which I am very impressed by.

Instantly, my doors make whisping noise when shutting and my blower fan is whistling slightly.
It seems there is now TOO much cabin pressure. Did faulty or clogged rear cab vents blow out my cargo light seal in the first place?

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I stuck with the Home Depot seal, which I am very impressed by.

Instantly, my doors make whisping noise when shutting and my blower fan is whistling slightly.
It seems there is now TOO much cabin pressure. Did faulty or clogged rear cab vents blow out my cargo light seal in the first place?

You might be on to something here, although Ram has already improved the CHMSL gasket, and reportedly the new one works?

Check your vents and let us know? I don't have the cabin pressure issue you describe.

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Shame Ram did away with those little side vent windows. Since man was a Neanderthal I always leave the front window down 1/2 inch in case of a key in the truck thing.. just an old habit that served me well on 2 occasions:

DreamWeaver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You might be on to something here, although Ram has already improved the CHMSL gasket, and reportedly the new one works?

Check your vents and let us know? I don't have the cabin pressure issue you describe.
That answers a pending question I had over the phone with the local Ram dealer. I wasn't sure if the improved design for the CHMSL (not sure what that stands for, but the square cab vents behind the bed) was through Ram or was aftermarket. Now, I know!

I will update soon about the condish of my vents.

Thanks to all!