This is why 35's look like crap on stock wheels.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CYSTemrebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 liter
I do not understand big wheels that stick out slinging slush, mud, salt all over the body. On my way back from an overnight trip of 300 miles to visit family, the roads were a mess and I was in the right and lane of a freeway heading east when this huge noise hit my ears and a 1500 Dodge with mud tires sticking out at least four inches tore by. There are fines for this protrusion past the fender if caught but the deal to me is what purpose does this serve? Does it look cool? Not to me and others I know. Is it a functional performance thing? I do not think so. But go to it, it is your money and truck. I hate muddy mirrors, side panels and windows. I already have tires sticking out a bit past the fenders due to me trusting a shop to order the right rims for my winters. Rule one, never trust anyone to order the right rims unless you check them for specs.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
I have the stock 20" wheels on mine. Would love to get nice aftermarkets but hard to justify spending the money...lol. Which is funny cause I use to race cars and built my own motors. I'd spend $10k on an engine without even thinking about it....lol. At 50 years old there are other priorities higher on my list...lol. My son has the same truck and would like aftermarkets but his get all scraped up from the job site. He has the steel gray so it would look great with a darker wheel

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I don't think the words nice and aftermarket really go together unless you are getting forged wheels. Of course I like them too but I really think most oem wheels are better than most aftermarket ones. Finally I'm getting my 315s put on this Friday. Keeping the stock 17's.

Pttrader

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I picked this truck up last Summer and had to replace the tires in Winter cause the Firestone's were slipping and sliding all over the road.
I went with 295/70/18 Cooper AT3 XLT's Since my budget is limited I am saving to upgrade the gears from 4.10 to 4.56, or 4.88's.
Not sure they look like crap on the stock wheels? :)

20191223_125755 (3).jpg

Last edited:

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
As a tween (40+ years ago) a neighbor had a '74 (IIRC) PW and I was properly impressed.

didnt like the name or paint decal combo. always made me think of powerman comic guy too.
Prefer 3/4 or 1 ton.

Ed F

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I do not understand big wheels that stick out slinging slush, mud, salt all over the body. On my way back from an overnight trip of 300 miles to visit family, the roads were a mess and I was in the right and lane of a freeway heading east when this huge noise hit my ears and a 1500 Dodge with mud tires sticking out at least four inches tore by. There are fines for this protrusion past the fender if caught but the deal to me is what purpose does this serve? Does it look cool? Not to me and others I know. Is it a functional performance thing? I do not think so. But go to it, it is your money and truck. I hate muddy mirrors, side panels and windows. I already have tires sticking out a bit past the fenders due to me trusting a shop to order the right rims for my winters. Rule one, never trust anyone to order the right rims unless you check them for specs.

I agree on not liking the look but the first thing I wonder is how long till they’re replacing wheel bearings.

Reactions: BWL

Fitzreefer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7 L
I agree on not liking the look but the first thing I wonder is how long till they’re replacing wheel bearings.
I guess this is the purpose of the discussion guys. How to maximize the tire without sticking out too far (bro dozer as they call it), but to get the preferred off road performance, while retaining on road ride. Personally, I prefer my on road ride with 37s, and I know for sure I can tackle much more extreme terrain off road. If you get the right spec wheel they will give you a little more room in the wheel well for a bigger tire while being reasonable with tire reveal outside of the fender. I would say mine is pretty well tucked. As far as wheel bearings the stock power PW wheels have some serious positive offset at about +45mm. Figure at +22mm offset I am only moving the centering of a tire/rim by about 1" outboard.c9c4a3afd7224caf0602bb4464543772.jpg

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
edit:

I realized this was for heavy duty rams not 1500’s so my comment wasn’t valid

I was gonna say, because the 20’s on both my new halfton and my old halfton were 9” wide. Lol. I’m not sure about the smaller diameter halfton wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CptDondo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Diesel
Stock 18x8 rims - anyone put bigger tires on those? I'd need load range E off road tires.

Walkdog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
I have a very similar Fuel wheel on my truck. That gray center looks pretty good with that max steel color truck. and +20 offset is the way to go. Doesn't stick out too far and is the best offset for clearing larger tires. Mine are +18 and I would never go further then 0 or a negative offset. Not unless you are going for the bro dozer look that all the kids are running these days.

View attachment 189513

Dang payload of this truck must be arount 800# LMAO

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Dang payload of this truck must be arount 800# LMAO

Payload is 2030 lbs.... Not the best for a 2500 but works for what I need around the farm and family needs

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
I do not understand big wheels that stick out

I personally like the aggressive look of a truck with a wider stance. Just a visual thing to me. That being said, my last two truck had wheels that stuck out some and as you mentioned and I could barely get out of the driveway without slinging crap all over the sides. For this reason, my new truck got 0 offset wheels. The tires are even with my fender flares which keeps the sides clean. I'd rather spend my time fishing instead than washing the truck so some dumb **** doesn't rub up against the truck and grind the sand into the paint in a parking lot somewhere...

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
none
Engine
Godzilla 7.3
Payload is 2030 lbs.... Not the best for a 2500 but works for what I need around the farm and family needs

...and actually more than a full ton. Haven't figured out the payload on my '20 1500 yet, but my '15 1500 was 16xx, or more than 50% over a half ton.

Of course, "payload" includes everything above empty weight, so if 4-5 full-size Americans hop in the cab you can be pretty close to max right there...