this weekends project... blackout!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ADUBIS

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
This weekend I decided to black out the tail lights. This will do untill I decide what to do for replacements. For safety I am going to add L.E.D. bulbs but that will be in a couple days. I used the VHT spray and it doesn't look too bad I think. There is a before and after shot below.

OP
OP
ADUBIS

ADUBIS

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
pics

Before and after

Attachments

• IMAG0412.jpg
    IMAG0412.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 69
  • IMAG0417.jpg
    IMAG0417.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 67
  • IMAG0419.jpg
    IMAG0419.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 73
  • IMAG0418.jpg
    IMAG0418.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 75

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
Watch out for jonny law. He may not like the blackout if your running lights are too dim. I know in Mississippi it is a $500 dollar fine and you have 30 days to get it fixed if you are caught with blackouts.

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looks good man, when I did mine it took me a couple days after to realize I forgot to spray my 3rd brake light

OP
OP
ADUBIS

ADUBIS

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Watch out for jonny law. He may not like the blackout if your running lights are too dim. I know in Mississippi it is a $500 dollar fine and you have 30 days to get it fixed if you are caught with blackouts.

Here in Virginia it seems like the only people who get popped for things like this are the kids running around in Nagasaki nut buckets that are lowered, have dark tinted windows and fart cans.
The bigger problem is the annual safety inspections. As long as the proper color light shows through, your vehicle will pass. But as I said, LED bulbs should ensure enough light I hope.

OP
OP
ADUBIS

ADUBIS

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Looks good man, when I did mine it took me a couple days after to realize I forgot to spray my 3rd brake light

Thanks, I did the tail lights last night and the 3rd brake this morning. I too realized last night that I hadnt taken it off

98hemi-ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looks good!

I have debating on doing this to my 06 but I think I'm just going to go for it now when I get some free time

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
looks good. I love my dark tails

OP
OP
ADUBIS

ADUBIS

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Now that the sun has gone down, I checked the lights and they are nice and bright.

krakaman24

2018 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7L
Looks good! Post a pic at night with the LED bulbs if you can. Also, what bulbs are you going with? If you are adding in your own resistors let us know how that goes for you. I want to add LED bulbs but not 100% sure I want to mess with adding in all that extra nonsense.

OP
OP
ADUBIS

ADUBIS

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Looks good! Post a pic at night with the LED bulbs if you can. Also, what bulbs are you going with? If you are adding in your own resistors let us know how that goes for you. I want to add LED bulbs but not 100% sure I want to mess with adding in all that extra nonsense.

It will be a couple days before I get the LED bulbs. Hopefully they react like my bike. I only have rear leds and the signals blink like they are supposed to. There is a load equalizer for motorcycles that corrects the quick blink, if this is the case, its possible that it could be adapted to work in the truck. Either way, as soon as I get them I will post a pic.

krakaman24

2018 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7L
It will be a couple days before I get the LED bulbs. Hopefully they react like my bike. I only have rear leds and the signals blink like they are supposed to. There is a load equalizer for motorcycles that corrects the quick blink, if this is the case, its possible that it could be adapted to work in the truck. Either way, as soon as I get them I will post a pic.

I had just rear LEDs on my bike also and they worked just fine but it was also a different style bulb. Not sure if that has any effect. I added LEDs to my front turns and then I got the quick flash. I had to buy the load equalizer at that point. Obviously the system is different but the plug and play equalizer made it pretty easy. As far as I know there isn't any direct plug and play piece to solve this problem on cars and trucks. From what I've seen you have to actually hard wire in a resistor to each bulb. I could be wrong. In fact I hope I'm wrong.

98hemi-ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I used one of those electronic flashers in my 98 ram and it worked perfect put my lights back to normal. No resistors to mess with just pull the old flasher out and put the new one in. Before I installed the electronic flasher they were flashing fast.

Can't say if it is that simple on the 3rd gen trucks though as I've never tried it yet.

OP
OP
ADUBIS

ADUBIS

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
On a side note: I noticed the right rear brake light was out after I put the lenses back on, so I took the lens assembly apart and it started working again. The tail light side of the bulb in question worked like it was supposed to. Monday morning the LAMP OUT light came on every now and again during the ride into work. One of my co workers helped me check the tail lights while the LAMP OUT light was on and the tail light was working but the brake light wasnt. I replaced the bulb and it hasnt come back on since. (by the way, the replacement bulb I purchased is one of those super white bulbs which arent any brighter than the stock ones and cost me twice as much) I wonder how the computer knew the brake light side of the bulb wasnt working seeing as how it only comes on when you depress the brake pedal.

BRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looks really good.

Looks really good. I'll be blacking mine out when I get back from vacation.

Tonight I just put in new headlights and I have to aim them correctly so I can see when driving at night.