Those Without Wireless Charging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chazulson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 eTorque
What the hell are we using this spot for? I can see on the models with Qi that it's flat where a phone would go. Mine doesn't have Qi, so this spot seems useless to me right now because the backing is rounded, if I put my phone there it'll just tumble in to the dark abyss below..

New owner of a 2020 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn looking for some guidance, loving the truck and the forums have a lot of great info, thanks!

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
What's Qi? My truck does not have wireless charging, but I can still insert my phone in the spot it would be if I did have it. It's just a holder for the phone. I'm kind of confused at what you're describing as the dark abyss.

OP
OP
Chazulson

Chazulson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 eTorque
Qi is the tech used in the wireless charging pad that comes with trucks that have it equipped. The dark abyss would be the area right below the phone holder, basically the big center storage bin. My phone must just be too big for this spot or the little flaps in the phone holding area are too tight for it to fit in there. All good, minor detail I figured I'd ask about.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Ah, okay. Thanks for clarifying. What kind of phone do you have? Does it have a thick case? Mine fits easily even with the case, but it has a pretty slim case.

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
Qi, pronounce "chee", (the ancient body power to Asian folks https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/qi ) is what MOST phones have, not all. Some have proprietary wireless charging. You're not missing much. Better to plug in so you have carplay/android auto. Until they make wireless careplay/android auto more available in more vehicles that is....

bluebeast1562

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My phone has the ability for wireless charging but my Ram does not have it, not a big deal, the area where the charger would be is not big enough for my phone in the first place. I just use one of the three USB ports to charge if need be. I do keep my hand sanitizer in that spot, pretty easy to get to.

OP
OP
Chazulson

Chazulson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 eTorque
Yeah I found that I can get my phone to actually fit if I pull a little harder on the clips in front, I have a Note 10 so it's a decent sized phone. I agree with Narg too about the need to plug in, I wish android auto/apple carplay would function over bluetooth.

Mehgyver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L V8
on longer trips when i bother plugging my phone into the usb-c port for android auto action i stick my phone down there, never had any issue with it staying put

Matty Moo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine fits in there and stays there,i can see some of the larger phones not fitting though.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On MY 19, Bighorn, I can use Bluetooth for Carplay, I have a I Phone 11, but I choose to plug in since keeps phone charged up... Think I am gonna buy an oversize weathertech cup/phone holder for my phone.........but things are so backed up and delayed on purchases, who knows.

beerthirty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi v8
I have an iphone XS in a lifeproof case that I usually just rest on the lip. Phone/case is just a little bit too large I don't want to snap it off forcing it in there.

Pjwishlist

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes
Yeah I found that I can get my phone to actually fit if I pull a little harder on the clips in front, I have a Note 10 so it's a decent sized phone. I agree with Narg too about the need to plug in, I wish android auto/apple carplay would function over bluetooth.

Heck, I wish it would utilize the entire 12" screen! Not sure who designed that it only works on the upper half and the bottom is....wasted space essentially. Sure hope soe sort of update comes about that makes better use of the screen. I mean, it was a selling point. Now it is the same size as the Chevy or Ford.

Terry Reedy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is it possible to purchase and install the Qi charging unit in that area? Does anybody know where to purchase things that were not installed as options on your vehicle? I own a 2020 Ram 1500 Rebel crew cab.

dieseldave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My phone has the ability for wireless charging but my Ram does not have it, not a big deal, the area where the charger would be is not big enough for my phone in the first place. I just use one of the three USB ports to charge if need be. I do keep my hand sanitizer in that spot, pretty easy to get to.
Is there a USB port that stay on with the key off

bluebeast1562

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is there a USB port that stay on with the key off

I am know that the USB ports stay on for a little while after the engine has been shut off but not sure if they are able to stay on without the ACC pushed.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Is it possible to purchase and install the Qi charging unit in that area? Does anybody know where to purchase things that were not installed as options on your vehicle? I own a 2020 Ram 1500 Rebel crew cab.
Yes, there is a Mopar kit you can install. I've seen them on ebay. Here's just one of them...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2019-2020-...968805&hash=item3d94600d00:g:FGAAAOSwNaBd6pJy

I went a different route and just installed an extra charging pad I had laying around. It seems to work fine.

Wireless charger.jpg

Last edited:

dieseldave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It would have to be wired to be hot all the time, with the parasitic draw these new truck have it could possible run down the battery.

gphilpot1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone know if there is anyway to install the Mopar wireless charger unit in an earlier model (2017 Laramie)?

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Anyone know if there is anyway to install the Mopar wireless charger unit in an earlier model (2017 Laramie)?
Not without a ton of custom work.