Thoughts on hard folding cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had installed a Bedrug and folding hard cover on my 2008 Dakota Crew Cab. It was a great investment that provided a lockable (and dry) storage option. Now that I have bought my new Ram Crew Cab I'm looking to do the same.

My question is, have any of you installed the BAKFlip VP Tonneau Cover on your bed and if so what is your opinion. It looks great on the videos I have watched and I really like that it can fold totally back to give use of the entire bed length. The cover i had on the Dakota was great with the exception of the sections stacked on top of the section closest to the cab so some length was lost when hauling taller items.

RangerGress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0l turbo diesel
I have a 1500 Ecodiesel on order. Last week I bought a Bakflip from a guy selling it on CL. Tonneaus definitely have their charms in that you can secure your gear from people and weather. Like you I chose the Bakflip because it allows full access to the bed.

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I love hard covers, but I'm highly biased against Bakflips.

The one I had on my last truck was garbage and fell apart right after the one year warranty. Were talking one month after. Now I do realize that one year is one year, but the way it fell apart was an obvious manufacturing defect and design flaw. At the time, I had also read on other forums about others having similar issues .

When I say fell apart, I mean BIG TIME. The first and second panel separated while on the interstate and one side of the cover lifted in the wind. Luckily I saw it in the mirror right away.

I took photos, provided my purchase info, and the most Bak Industries would do was offer me a 20 or 25% discount on a new G2. I forget which.

I paid a lot of money for that cover.

Mine was the first Gen Bakflip and they made significant changes in the design for the G2 and up because of this. I'm sure they are much better now.

Bak kind of lost out by not giving me at least a 50% or cost, or whatever. It wouldn't have cost them anything to do an at cost replacement. I have several family and friends that changed their mind about buying Bakflips because of how they handled my issue. And I don't know how many on forums, etc.

Ray