Thoughts on this phenomena

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

British Bulldog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
so, these two not very good pictures are of the driver side door outside panels. They are shiny pastiche, not painted. Embedded in them are six snowflake like patterns. You only see them in a certain light or with a flashlight. WHAT ARE THEY? can’t be smudges from paint. Are they some sort of embedded sensor? Look closely to see them, 6 in a block and only on this one panel. The other three seem clear of them. I can’t even show the dealer I have to be in my garage with a certain light on to catch them
thought welcome. This is just interesting that’s all.
vehicle is 2021 1500 Longhorn Limited, black Pearl coat

Attachments

• A63DAB66-095D-4BFF-A104-8D14A1DB76EB.jpeg
    A63DAB66-095D-4BFF-A104-8D14A1DB76EB.jpeg
    61.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 86DEA2B1-2B0F-4666-900D-D7102F1118AB.jpeg
    86DEA2B1-2B0F-4666-900D-D7102F1118AB.jpeg
    64.1 KB · Views: 33

LSU04_08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e-torque
That looks like some type of grid inside. If you look at your windows closely, you can see something similar but only in certain light. It's to block UV light. The purpose of that in the particular spot you've pictured, however, is a mystery. Or it could be part of the sound proofing.

OP
OP
British Bulldog

British Bulldog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
well thanks for replying. It does indeed look like some sort of grid. It may be on the other door pillars too but I can’t see them. I only caught it by accident one day as I was cleaning.

BNeal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Pics are blurry. Hard to tell whats going on there.

OP
OP
British Bulldog

British Bulldog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
nope. That is not from something behind me! That’s the best pictures I could take. But thanks both of you for input. It really isn’t that big of a deal, just intrigued

SOKY_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hard to tell from the pictures but if that is vinyl covering on the B pillars, I am guessing that is a defect in the vinyl. I have seen a similar grid on "air release vinyl" which lets the air escape as it is being installed to prevent bubbles.

OP
OP
British Bulldog

British Bulldog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
this has obviously got people intrigued….my B pillars are not covered in vinyl. They seem to be solid plastic on this model truck. I like the idea they might be alignment marks. Wish I could get better pictures though.
joking apart, maybe it IS something to do with the surround view cameras?

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
this has obviously got people intrigued….my B pillars are not covered in vinyl. They seem to be solid plastic on this model truck. I like the idea they might be alignment marks. Wish I could get better pictures though.
I would think if it has something to do with the surround camera thing then the other side would be the same or similar. Can you tell or feel if the mark's are on the outside of the trim piece? It maybe possible that something was adhered to it and the adhesive left those mark's. Try using some type of a wax cleaner or compound and see if you can remove the mark's

OP
OP
British Bulldog

British Bulldog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
Done that, polish/compound, even cleaner. This is definitely inside the plastic….could be marks left from adhesive but they do not come off, and it is not visible except in the certain light pattern. It may be on other side too, but I can’t see anything even if I shine a light obliquely on it.
Maybe it’s another Easter Egg from Ram, just to me! Lol. I never thought this would provoke any response, no matter the interest it has…..

LSU04_08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e-torque
I would think if it has something to do with the surround camera thing then the other side would be the same or similar. Can you tell or feel if the mark's are on the outside of the trim piece? It maybe possible that something was adhered to it and the adhesive left those mark's. Try using some type of a wax cleaner or compound and see if you can remove the mark's

Whatever they are, they're below the glass/plastic. I wish all Rams were like that, I hate the vinyl covering. Mine was beginning to peel with I traded my 2016 and my 2021 has it, too. I don't think there's a such thing as vinyl conditioner to keep the material from drying out.

LSU04_08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e-torque
Done that, polish/compound, even cleaner. This is definitely inside the plastic….could be marks left from adhesive but they do not come off, and it is not visible except in the certain light pattern. It may be on other side too, but I can’t see anything even if I shine a light obliquely on it.
Maybe it’s another Easter Egg from Ram, just to me! Lol. I never thought this would provoke any response, no matter the interest it has…..

Perhaps if you park your truck in the garage frontwards (if it was parked backwards with the pics) then the light will reflect the same and you'll see if it's in the other pillars.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Whatever they are, they're below the glass/plastic. I wish all Rams were like that, I hate the vinyl covering. Mine was beginning to peel with I traded my 2016 and my 2021 has it, too. I don't think there's a such thing as vinyl conditioner to keep the material from drying out.
My 2011 Bighorn had the matte black vinyl that started to bubble and crack. Having found out through various forums that it is body color under the vinyl I peeled them all off. It actually looked way better off than it did with them on. My new 21 is also matte black but I dont know if they are vinyl stick on or a cover but if they start to bubble and crack like my 11 did I'll have no problem peeling all of them off too

LSU04_08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e-torque
My 2011 Bighorn had the matte black vinyl that started to bubble and crack. Having found out through various forums that it is body color under the vinyl I peeled them all off. It actually looked way better off than it did with them on. My new 21 is also matte black but I dont know if they are vinyl stick on or a cover but if they start to bubble and crack like my 11 did I'll have no problem peeling all of them off too

Sure wish I would have known that. Were they easy to peel off? I took mine to the dealer for body work after a dog tried to eat the truck and noticed the small wrinkles behind the driver window afterwards. I didn't say anything because I figured it to be normal.

Ram4.jpg

OP
OP
British Bulldog

British Bulldog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
they peel off really easily. Especially when warm. Use a hairdryer and the glue comes unstuck. Clean off adhesive and matching body colour underneath. My 17 Longhorn bubbled twice. Under warranty first time, second after reading on here about them I peeled the buggers off.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I doubt that's the case. I have the surround view cameras on my Limited. It has the night edition package so the b-pillar garnishes are flat black. There is no weird pattern like that in mine.

OP
OP
British Bulldog

British Bulldog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
Mikeru,I can only see mine cos they ARE shiny plastic. I am gonna do as LSU04_08 suggested, back in same spot in garage to see if the exact same light pattern on the passenger side will show anything.
Just a sideline, it was my Birthday yesterday, I have a hangover therefore nothing seems that important or urgent at the moment I am afraid! Oh well…….

LSU04_08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e-torque
Mikeru,I can only see mine cos they ARE shiny plastic. I am gonna do as LSU04_08 suggested, back in same spot in garage to see if the exact same light pattern on the passenger side will show anything.
Just a sideline, it was my Birthday yesterday, I have a hangover therefore nothing seems that important or urgent at the moment I am afraid! Oh well…….

Happy belated birthday! I look forward to seeing how they look from the other side.