Throttle body connector help please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M&Ms4D

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Im doing a tune up to my truck today. I am changing the plugs and want to clean the throttle body.

Iv'e done the hard part (the plugs)....

BUT.... (now stupid question) What's the trick to getting the electrical connector off of the throttle body without breaking it???

Thanks

Attachments

• TB connector.jpg
    TB connector.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 112

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think you slide the red part inwards, then pinch the black part while pushing the connector further on, then it will side out (continue holding in the black part). Just like the coil pack connectors. The only difference is the red part slides in.

I cleaned my throttle body without removing it last weekend. I guess I should have removed it.

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
DO NOT use throttle body cleaner, use only brake cleaner, and do not spray it anywhere near the electronics on the throttle body. If it's not to dirty, will be much nastier on the back side, you can spray a rag and wipe it out that way. Be sure to follow the procedure to recalibrate it when it is reinstalled. There is a real good how to video about cleaning the throttle body on U-Tube. I can't recall who made it, but I would check it out.

Last edited:

Harley Harrold

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I found this on another post.

Throttle Body Cleaning
Dodge Ram 5.7 Liter

Difficulty level: Easy - Moderate

Tools Required: (I happen to have an aftermarket CAI. If you have the Stock HEMI breather hat, you will need the necessary tools to remove it as well)
- #2 Flathead Screwdriver
- 1/4" Ratchet
- 1/4" extension
- 8mm socket (1/4)
- 5/16th Socket (1/4) or equivalent Nut-driver
- 3 Cans of Brake Cleaner (DO NOT USE Throttle Body Cleaner!!!!!!!!!!)
- Several Clean Shop Towels (Lint Free)
- 1 Toothbrush or similar sized non-abrasive scrub brush

You’ll be intimately cleaning the throttle body, that on this particular truck is actuated via Electronic Throttle Control (Drive by Wire). EXTREME CARE must be taken to avoid damaging any electronics, sensors, etc. This isn’t meant to scare you, just to warn you. As you will see, this is very easy to do if you are well armed with cleaner and know how to use a screw driver.

Step 1: Determining what you will need to remove the Intake

Take a minute to thoroughly look over your intake system. Make note of all your sensors, Wires, retention brackets, etc, and make certain you have the appropriate tools.

Step 2: Removing the intake from the throttle body
Most of us have aftermarket intakes so it will vary from truck to truck, if you have the OEM Hemi hat then its just a few bolts holding it down. Use common sense and determine what steps will be necessary to remove enough of the air-box system so that you have easy access to the throttle body.

Step 3: Removing the CAI Tube from Throttle Body

BEFORE you go yanking the top of your engine apart. Make note of a couple of connectors you need to remove to avoid damage.

FIRST (in my case) was the easiest. I simply used a flathead screwdriver to "break the seal" of a Vacuum line attached to my CAI and was able to pull it free with very little effort.

Step 3: Removing the CAI Tube from Throttle Body

The next thing to watch out for is the Intake Air Temperature Sensor, Commonly referred to as the IAT. Special care should be taken because this sensor is VERY fragile.

In My case, and in most others, you will probably not have to physically remove this sensor from your CAI Tube / Hemi Hat. You will likely be able to simply unplug it.

If you have ever worked on anything with a motor, you should be able to figure this out. Depress the Locking key and wiggle the IAT Sensor harness plug from the sensor

Step 3: Removing the CAI Tube From Throttle Body

Go ahead and take a second to look closely and make sure everything is disconnected and the entire intake system free.

***NOTE: If you have loosened all the bolts and left them in their proper holes, PLEASE go ahead and take them ALL out before you attempt to pull the intake system off the top of the engine. THE LAST THING you want is to drop a nut or bolt into the throttle body / Intake.

Now, gently remove the remainder of your intake. It would be a good idea to have a partner watching closely as you do this because forgotten items still attached will quickly be noticed by that extra pair of eyes.

Step 4: Removing the Throttle Body

Once the Throttle Body opening is secured, go ahead and look around your work area and secure all loose dangling harness connectors that we have removed to this point. Once we start the next step, you’re going to need all of your hands and those loose dangling wires just get in the way.

If your Throttle Body is a "Drive By Wire system, you will find somewhere, a harness plug that supplies current for the motor and other essential signals passed from the computer tot he T-Body.

On HEMI's, this plug is located on top, in the front of the T-Body.

***NOTE: This connector doesn't work like ones you may be used to. You DO NOT push the tab to remove the plug, you will use a screw driver to pull the tab slightly away from the connector (to the rear of the plug) and this will unlock it, allowing you to remove the T-Body harness plug.

Again, Make sure you tuck the Harness Connector out of the way.

The Next step is to identify the Bolts we need to remove to physically take the throttle body OFF of the intake manifold.

On The HEMI, You will fine VERY easily which they are. There are four 8mm bolts located at each corner of the T-Body and they face forward. You cant miss them. They have been painted GREEN:

Using a 1/4" Ratchet, attach a 6" extension and an 8mm Socket.

Loosen AND REMOVE the bolts one at a time using a criss-cross pattern. Top-Right, Bottom-Left, Top-Left, Bottom-Right.

These Intakes are plastic and you want to keep the torque stress on the intake as even as possible to avoid any possibility of over stressing one particular area, resulting in a possible crack in the intake.

Once you have all four bolts removed, the throttle body will literally fall into your hand:

Step 5: Cleaning the Throttle Body

For this, USE BRAKE CLEANER

Once again, DO NOT USE THROTTLE BODY CLEANER! Not even the MOPAR BRAND. Based on the TSB that I did this after, even THEY say to use BRAKE CLEANER ONLY because it evaporates fast, and wont damage the sensitive sensors and electronics on board the T-Body

Do yourself a HUGE favor and grab 4 cans. I used three completely and a 4th would have been nice.

Also Get a Tooth brush handy because you will need it, I assure you!

Last but most important, DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS WITHOUT SAFETY GLASSES

1.Grab the T-Body and hold it with actuator motor UP so the cleaner has less chance of soaking the electronics.

2. Hold the T-Body as far away from your body as possible and start blasting. The majority of the Coking will wash right away.

By now you have seen that Brake cleaner is some SERIOUSLY good stuff The Coking should be stripping off and pouring out of the T-body with every squirt
When you can see that your spraying is no longer doing much Good, Its time to get the brush out...

Spray a little, Brush a little, Spray a little, Brush a little.

I have heard that you DO NOT want to press open the butterfly valve. Personally, I threw caution to the wind and pushed it almost fully open and using spraying and brushing, cleaned it spotless. The Butterfly is spring loaded and will close back just fine. Keep at it until it is clean...

Once your done, allow it to sit and dry. REMEMBER, Keep the Motor Side of the TB facing UP at all time. Better to be safe than sorry.

Step 6: Reassemble in Reverse Order

OP
OP
M&Ms4D

M&Ms4D

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OK guys I figured it out, mine is a 2007 5.7 and for this clip you have to slide the red part all the way to the left to unhook the connector! hopefully this will help somebody else with a 2007

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I used throttle body cleaner... I sprayed a microfiber rag and wiped the inlet side part clean, opened the valve and wiped inside a bit. I have done it this way on many vehicles. I can see not using throttle body cleaner if you are spraying directly on it, and/or soaking it.

Harley Harrold

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
My repair manual says NOT to use throttle body cleaned and states to use only brake cleaner. Brake cleaner doesn't leave any residue on the parts either.:peace::waytogo:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357