Thumping and Clicking in 4wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Silver24V

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 24v Cummins
Hi Forum

I’ve got a 2002 2500 Cummins

I’ve been having some issues with my 4wd
My issues are loud thumping noise when driving In 4wd straight and turning. The noise slightly goes away when giving it power but when I take my foot on the pedal it gets worse.

As well as sometimes when I brake I get feed back on the brake pedal when it 4wd

I’ve tired unwinding my trans and t case rolling backwards down a hill. (Didn’t work)
Trying to figure out where the noise is coming from. I can’t tell if it’s my hub, drive shaft, diff, wheel bearing or my t case or a bad actuator.
Also when going in or out of low it sputters when moving the shifter. As well as vibrates then a big thud. Then in 4wd goes back to clunks.

I’m commuting to work at a mountain everyday and need 4wd. Any help would be great

My auto trans works good all the gears work

Brent 1955

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I can answer this how often do you use your 4wd? The bands get dry and create a noise when turning or in 4wd backing up. How I fixed that noise in my truck was changed my fluid and added a quart of Lucas and then filled with Amsoil 75x90 full synthetic gear oil. Drove it a while both forward and backwards and the noise gradually went away. I don't use my 4wd much but now once a month or when it rains or snows, I click it into 4wd drive to lubricate the bands. I own a 2013 ram Laramie Limited Edition 3500 HD One other thing I just thought of when was the last time you checked your inner U-Joints on your axle. Just another suggestion I just thought about. it would do the same thing if going out.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio