Thuren suspension loaded?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boosted86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Does anyone have pictures or insight to the sag expected with Thurens front and rear coils with the bed loaded with firewood, etc anything?

I'm slowly adding Thuren bits and have been eyeballing the full suspension setup for awhile.
I dont really mind the ride now but passengers do, and some cross country trips have awful highway sections.

I usually load up firewood 8' bed full a few times a year, and boats/cars/tractors <10k trailer weight throughout summer.

I've seen the Carli pictures, if that's about what I can expect to see. Curious what others real world reports are.
Thanks!

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The Thuren springs will sag like a half ton would. So if you see a RAM 1500 towing/hauling like you would that will give you a very good idea of what it would sit like.

We offer Thuren, let me know if we can help.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Yep. With a load of wood you’ll be on the stops. It’s SOFT! But it’s sooooo good off-road. When I moved from Texas to AZ I pulled a trailer. I installed the Timbrens and they helped. Was rough but it kept it sitting right.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
The Carli springs handle a little bit more weight. Best bet is air bags with Daystar cradles. Then you have the nice soft Thuren ride and can air up and load it up.

G. Mcpherson

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Ram 2500 CC SB Tradesman
Engine
6.7 Cummins
You can also use Timbrens. Easy to install and remove and when not carrying heavy great ride.

thethrillofspeed

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500
Engine
My Thuren's squat pretty good with my trailer...however the rear axle now actually moves which is what I wanted. I have airbags for the time I haul heavy loads.

OP
OP
B

Boosted86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I talked to Thuren today and he was positive their shocks designed around oem coils would give me good results for both sides of the spectrum.

Now I just have to decide if I want the comfort a majority of the time over the sag when towing sometimes.

If anyone can chime in with pictures of thuren coils loaded down, itll help!

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
I wish I’d have taken some pics. I had a 16’ bumper pull flat bed loaded DOWN with furniture my wife was out buying. Don’t have the weoght...but it was after we moved here and I removed the timbrens. So it was on the bump stops and she was really nose high lol. With my camping gear.... rtt, about 200lbs of water, all camping cook gear, full tank of fuel, ice chest, blankets and 3 people. I prolly sag about 2-3”. It’s noticeable. Air bags coming after Xmas

G. Mcpherson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
20180506_104027.jpg 1k hitch wt. 1" rear coils and 2" front.

OP
OP
B

Boosted86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks for the help. I probably dont have half the gear you carry out for camping- we have a permanent lake lot so we dont have to pack heavy every time out.
I'm not getting beat to death stock nor do we have much in the way of trails here in Illinois, so I think all those combined I'll level with the thuren coils and run upgraded shocks 4 corners and track/ sway bars.

G. Mcpherson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yes about that weight. Bounced on the Timbrens when hitting bumps but not too bad.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The cats ass setup is a full thuren or carli setup with a set of bags. Rides great all the time, and you can still tow as heavy as your heart desires. If you are offroading often and using the extra travel these kits offer, then definitely get the daystar cradles.

If you tow fairly often, just pony up and get the auto fill compressor setup too. I only use the bags a little more than a half dozen times a year probably, and I am still gonna splurge for it. Its just too handy.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
The cats ass setup is a full thuren or carli setup with a set of bags. Rides great all the time, and you can still tow as heavy as your heart desires. If you are offroading often and using the extra travel these kits offer, then definitely get the daystar cradles.

If you tow fairly often, just pony up and get the auto fill compressor setup too. I only use the bags a little more than a half dozen times a year probably, and I am still gonna splurge for it. Its just too handy.
I’m looking into bags and cradles for mine. Do you have any pics fully flexed in rear? I’m curious if I’m loaded down with gear and I put air to level back out how they’ll perform off-road. Real world problems huh lololol

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m looking into bags and cradles for mine. Do you have any pics fully flexed in rear? I’m curious if I’m loaded down with gear and I put air to level back out how they’ll perform off-road. Real world problems huh lololol
Well, with them aired up you will certainly not get full articulation. With them empty its pretty much like they are not there. Thats where an onboard air setup would kickass. Just empty the bags if you need some serious articulation, then air them right back up after.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Well, with them aired up you will certainly not get full articulation. With them empty its pretty much like they are not there. Thats where an onboard air setup would kickass. Just empty the bags if you need some serious articulation, then air them right back up after.
Yep. I’ll have air. Prolly something to play around with and trial and error. I don’t need much I think. But not sitting level when you are LEVEL makes it look bad haha

OP
OP
B

Boosted86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yeah that's what I figured they'd look like without Timbrens.

I think I'll keep factory springs in the rear and add King shocks instead.

Anyone have input with that setup?

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah that's what I figured they'd look like without Timbrens.

I think I'll keep factory springs in the rear and add King shocks instead.

Anyone have input with that setup?

My opinion is, unless I was literally towing everyday and every time I used my truck, I would just run the soft springs and then add bags for when I tow. Its the best of both worlds. And in my world, my box is nearly empty and no trailer in tow probably 85% of the time or more.

Phylodog

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2018
Engine
5.7 Hemi & 6.7L CTD
I have the Thuren Overland kit and airbags with wireless onboard compressor and Daystar cradles and can't recommend this combo highly enough.