Timing chain failure!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gregg75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good morning, this is my first time posting on here. I just had a total timing chain failure. I had to replace the guide, tensioner, chain and the oil pump. I also went ahead and changed the harmonic balancer as it had about half inch piece missing from it. So I replaced it and put it back according to the diagram of the key at 2 o clock, bottom at 6 and top at 12. Now it turns on but sounds out of timing and check engine light is blinking. I also here a bad clack as if a lifter on the driver side head that I didn't have before... is it a possiblity the piston damaged a valve thus effecting the lifter?? Not really sure how this works? Thanks any information would be greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
G

Gregg75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks gentlemen, as this was exactly what I was hoping not to hear, lol.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Before you tear heads off check compression on all cylinders so you know what valves are bent ect. I only got lucky once on a 08 5.7 timing chain broke during startup so lifters where not pumped up all the way no bent valves runs great so rare It will never happen again.

OP
OP
G

Gregg75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok but I am still stuck between how timing chain failure bent a valve, I thinking the idiot who installed the timing chain for me and didn't correctly put it back in correct timing position caused the bent valve. Anyone know anything about this?

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
Ok but I am still stuck between how timing chain failure bent a valve, I thinking the idiot who installed the timing chain for me and didn't correctly put it back in correct timing position caused the bent valve. Anyone know anything about this?
Google "Interference Engine". Your piston/valve contact occurs not when you reassemble(if done correctly), but when the failure occurs. Could he have reassembled it incorrectly? Possible. Was everything fine right after the failure? Not probably....Which is why they call them interference engines.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
Previously you stated, " **I** had to replace the guide, tensioner, chain and the oil pump. **I** also went ahead and changed the harmonic balancer as it had about half inch piece missing from it. So **I** replaced it and put it back according to the diagram..." I thinking the idiot who installed the timing chain for me and didn't correctly put it back....
So much for that idiot.

LAWBC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just happened to have the same ( broken Chain this weekend ) 70k miles only. In garage will see what a tear down going to reveal . $$$$ will keep you posted

LAWBC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Broken timing chain in Chrysler 5.7 maybe that is why I'm having the same issue but no recall on Ram trucks. See video.

LAWBC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wasted motor of $13,000 CDN To R & R a re-manufactured 5.7 motor Called Chrysler Canada, no warranty and they are right went out in 2017. Get the truck back next week. Boy I could have bought a lot of gas and hauled a long way with that cash.

LAWBC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Update on engine failure , the shop has pulled the engine and it was a cam lifter failure, parts found in the bottom of the oil pan the timing chain was ok.