Timing cover coolant leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemimax

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 1500 Laramie
Engine
318 5.2L Magnum
Hi all, great forum!
1998 Ram 1500 5.2
Have had a very small coolant leak for quite a while, I could not find it until now because it dripped onto the engine and evaporated. Finally found that it is seeping from the upper left of the timing cover on the engine block. Could this be a bigger issue than just a very old gasket? I have no other problems other than the crank seals are also old and seep oil in the cold winters. Thanks for your consideration.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
There's also the thermostat outlet gasket as a leak point and then there's also the corner of the intake manifold gasket that can leak. My 94 Dakota 5.2 was leaking last year down the front of the block and it was the thermostat gasket. I noticed yesterday it is leaking again but now appears it could be the corner of the intake or timing cover.
After removing the accessory mount I should be able to pressurize the system to find the leak. That's what I'd recommend to you, to verify the leak. If it is the timing cover since my truck has over 100k miles I'll probably also replace the timing set if the chain shows signs of wear/stretch.

OP
OP
Hemimax

Hemimax

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 1500 Laramie
Engine
318 5.2L Magnum
Thank you, after I my post I realized it has to be blowing back from the water pump gasket or a hose connection and just staining the timing cover, since there is only oil behind that cover, right?
I appreciate your help I will investigate all the connections more closely. It's just so small that the engine heat and radiator fan hide it well.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Timing cover does have it's own gasket for the 2 coolant ports. They are known to leak. That's why its important to remove the accessories' bracket and pressurize the system so you know.
Screenshot_20230306-102157_Chrome.jpg

OP
OP
Hemimax

Hemimax

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 1500 Laramie
Engine
318 5.2L Magnum
I will do that cause I'm just guessing its coming from the gasket around that port. Only other thing I can't see is the bypass hose under the compressor.
Mostly it's just annoying, probably drips 12-16oz a year.

Last edited:

Delta11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I used the blue dye that you can buy from tractor supply for herbicide spraying. Helps to pin point leak. Just put a couple of ounces into radiator and run engine.