Tire size change alfaOBD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MTBryan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I know this has been beat to death, but it still wasn't straight forward for me.
I have a 2020 Power Wagon. I have a few notes (as a summary) and a question at the end.

The CAN blocks were tricky to access on my 2020. They are behind the light switch. You can take off the kick plate with 2 7mm screws then pull. Take off the light switch assembly just by pulling hard on that sucker. You can take the plate under the light switch off too by pulling. I was able to get the CAN connectors in OK. But no way getting them out without taking the CAN blocks off their mounting location. Luckily they clip in/out easily. Once you loosen them, you can get a small screwdriver in there to remove the catch pins.

Trying to clear some codes, I disconnected my battery. This completely wiped out all apps. So, my backup camera, air conditioner and satellite radio access icon were gone. I read they will come back on their own after the truck re-loads them. That's what happened! About 3 hours later, after much panic.

I purchased the ODB Link MX+, AlfaODB app for my Android phone, and the Kaodtech bypass cable. Mike at Kaodtech was a HUGE help with my stupid questions trying to figure out where the CAN blocks were located.

Once all hooked up, I followed the instructions on page 1 of this LOOOOONNNNNNGGGGGG thread. And overall it worked. It took about 6 times to get my circumference dialed in for my 35'. Ended up at 2688 mm.

Now for the Question

No matter what I do, I still get a C006A fault (access accelerator sensor) and cannot clear it. When I turn on the engine, both cruise controls are disabled (adaptive and regular) and it says the Stability control has been disabled and needs service. It also says the trailer brake system needs service.

I've performed the resets on page 1 of this tread probably 30 times: Static ECU initialization and clear rolls information. I've done them with push start recycle and without. I've waited 5-10 minutes between cycling with no luck. I've tried other resets too like ECU. I disconnected the battery for 30 minutes: Still no luck. I've stood on my head on a full moon. No luck.

I ended up taking it to the dealership today. they can't get to it for a week. Which is what they told me after a stern lecture (as I expected). Any additional help/thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

MTBryan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Update: I never got my cruise control reset. I had to make an appointment at the dealership. Somehow I deleted the module software for the trailer brake system and electronic stability control, which lead to the cruise control issue. They had to reset EVERYTHING to factory. Cost me $227 bucks and a lecture about using an aftermarket module.
And after all that, they reset my tire size back to stock so my spedo is off again.
So,
$99 for the ODBLink
$50 for AlfaODB
$50 for the Kaodtech security bypass cable
$227 to fix what I broke by trying to use the above.
The dealership did say, for $120 they can change any settings I need (tire size/pressure). I will be selling my cable and ODB module and going that route next time.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The dealership did say, for $120 they can change any settings I need (tire size/pressure). I will be selling my cable and ODB module and going that route next time.

I find that extremely hard to believe. Unless you have a "buddy" there I have not seen 1 single dealer that will change the tire pressure settings, not 1. It is technically illegal to change or disable the TPMS (Tread act) so they are not going to go down that road.

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
So reading the last couple pages for changing tire sizes it seems like there are some issues currently? What are the current steps for Alpha? i have version 2.1.9.5 and am ready to change my size, but also don't want to brick anything or run into some of these issues, 2018 Ram 3500. Running the android variant of alpha

CLeng3940

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I changed my tire size and got no faults after backing out of the BCM and cycling my key. Didn’t even go into the abs. Has anyone else encountered this?

MathanDubh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi t.7
You have only done the first part. The numbers will display
on the dash, but you'll still get a fault

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I did the full procedure listed in post #1 and it worked. Verified with a GPS app on my phone that everything reads correctly, when before it was about 2 mph off

UpInSm0kE

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500 Tradesman
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Update: I never got my cruise control reset. I had to make an appointment at the dealership. Somehow I deleted the module software for the trailer brake system and electronic stability control, which lead to the cruise control issue. They had to reset EVERYTHING to factory. Cost me $227 bucks and a lecture about using an aftermarket module.
And after all that, they reset my tire size back to stock so my spedo is off again.
So,
$99 for the ODBLink
$50 for AlfaODB
$50 for the Kaodtech security bypass cable
$227 to fix what I broke by trying to use the above.

Man, I think I just did this to my truck as well! 2019 Ram 2500, I changed my tire size to 2695mm with no issues at all but it was slightly off still so I went to change it again and now trailer brake system and service electronic stability control warnings are the only ones popping up. I cannot seem to clear these no matter what I do!

MTBryan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Man, I think I just did this to my truck as well! 2019 Ram 2500, I changed my tire size to 2695mm with no issues at all but it was slightly off still so I went to change it again and now trailer brake system and service electronic stability control warnings are the only ones popping up. I cannot seem to clear these no matter what I do!
Sorry, just saw this. I hope you got it sorted out? My dealer did a reset for $120 bucks and all is well now. Although, they put my tire size back to stock so my spedo is off again. But at this point, I'm happy it's all working.
No more AlfaODB for me!

Shawn Percifield

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Multi Displacement VVT
2017 Ram 1500 I can’t get the faults to clear on the ABS Any advise? I have cleared them in ECU and Body control but ABS will not

Cummins3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anyone successfully followed the above instructions on a 2019 and up?? I did and still can't get lights and warnings to clear

RamItGood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not sure if people still use this thread, or know where else to post a question for tire size steps.
Just had a question on when you get to the abs section and have to read through the steps it says to do, are any rams equipped with g sensor or ESC?
Never heard anyone say they went and did those steps also when going through steps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RamItGood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Didn’t think people looked in this thread anymore lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

czervika

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Necro reply,

Just tried to set the tire size on my 2016 to the new diameter. First one took fine but was slightly fast. Adjusting downward I ran in to the flashing lights, no 4wd, park sense off errors. After doing what is suggested in the instructions I gave up to go back to work. About 30 minutes later I went back out to try again, no errors at MAR, so I went for a ride, still slightly fast, so tried to adjust yet again. Back to the crazy lights and errors. Left it for another 30 minutes and went back, voila, no lights and the speedo reads right where I want it. Perhaps it's just a time delay thing.

Bill

rodent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just tried to change my tire size but it keeps showing this error about a write request and never takes the value. I'm using the suggested OBD2 to USB cable OBDLink EX. It works on other things like Keyfob and TPMS. Any ideas?

tiresizeerror.jpg

rodent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just entered the circumference rather than the drop down.
I've tried both ways and neither works (one or the other, not both). Size I used was 2741. Never takes the value. I've triple checked the connection. Works fine with other things that can be programmed. I've even tried to slow down the connection speed with no luck.

I think I may get the BT module they suggest and see if that helps. Just curious if anyone else here has ran into this issue.

rodent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Finally got the tire size to take. Had to upgrade to the BT module. Looks like I'll be returning the USB cable AlfaOBD suggested (OBDlink EX) and keeping the BT module (OBDlink MX). Hope this helps anyone with the same issue.

Bbroj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Just did my 2020 1500 Classic. A few things were different, Maybe I have a newer version of Alpha? Most notably, Ate/Continental was not an option under ABS. I used Bosch/Continental and it seems to have worked fine. No codes or lights after a brief test run. Speedo is within 1 or 2 mph of Waze or another route app at 60 mph. Close enough for me. Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio