Tire suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
So I came to the conclusion that when my PW arrives, I will be sending it to our upfitter for 35" tires. Not just for the cool factor, but because it will see a fair amount of beach driving, and a 35x12.5 will theoretically perform better in the sand than the stock Goodyears. The problem is, I am very picky with my tires and can't really find a set that I like. Here are my criteria:

1) Doesn't matter to me A/T or M/T, i don't buy in to "M/T tires don't perform on the sand." Plenty of evidence to the contrary.
2) I strongly prefer OWL tires, especially in that size on a 17" rim. I just think they look better with all that side wall.
3) Need to be at least E load tires since AEV ProCal doesn't currently support 2018MY and they need to be aired up to 60ish
4) I strongly do not like the "square tire" look that some off-road tires in this size give off, if that makes any sense

Outside of that, I have to "like" the tread pattern (which I know is a harder thing to comply with lol). To that point, I do NOT like the BFG KO2s, and won't be swayed to them. I know they're a great tire and everyone swears by them, I just can't stand how they look and will never get past that. I was originally going to just get the same Duratracs in a 35" size, but for some reason those tires aren't OWL in a 35" tire, only in the stock PW size (which doesn't really make a lot of sense to me, but whatever). So I then started looking at the BFG KM2 mud terrains, which ARE an OWL tire, but they're only D load up to 50 PSI, so they're out. Cost isn't really an issue, I'll pay what they cost, and I get supplier discount, but i scanned tirerack and discounttiredirect and didn't really see much. I'll give up the OWL requirement if i really have to, which will just send me back to the Duratracs unless i find something better.

what do you guys have/recommend? pics on the current PW rims would be a bonus.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Would you consider a 315/70/17? I think the firestone destination M/T might check those boxes for you. The white tire thing is what really limits it.

You could also look at "tire stickers" on amazon. You can do custom ones or, measure/send in the sidewall imprints and they'll make them. We had good luck with them at my last shop, but those went on cars only-no offroad stuff, so no idea how they'll hold up.

OP
OP
IRSmart

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
it's not impossible to sway me off of the OWL tires, but i would need to see real life pictures to do so, not just stock website photos.

pwjouster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So I came to the conclusion that when my PW arrives, I will be sending it to our upfitter for 35" tires. Not just for the cool factor, but because it will see a fair amount of beach driving, and a 35x12.5 will theoretically perform better in the sand than the stock Goodyears. The problem is, I am very picky with my tires and can't really find a set that I like. Here are my criteria:

1) Doesn't matter to me A/T or M/T, i don't buy in to "M/T tires don't perform on the sand." Plenty of evidence to the contrary.
2) I strongly prefer OWL tires, especially in that size on a 17" rim. I just think they look better with all that side wall.
3) Need to be at least E load tires since AEV ProCal doesn't currently support 2018MY and they need to be aired up to 60ish
4) I strongly do not like the "square tire" look that some off-road tires in this size give off, if that makes any sense

Outside of that, I have to "like" the tread pattern (which I know is a harder thing to comply with lol). To that point, I do NOT like the BFG KO2s, and won't be swayed to them. I know they're a great tire and everyone swears by them, I just can't stand how they look and will never get past that. I was originally going to just get the same Duratracs in a 35" size, but for some reason those tires aren't OWL in a 35" tire, only in the stock PW size (which doesn't really make a lot of sense to me, but whatever). So I then started looking at the BFG KM2 mud terrains, which ARE an OWL tire, but they're only D load up to 50 PSI, so they're out. Cost isn't really an issue, I'll pay what they cost, and I get supplier discount, but i scanned tirerack and discounttiredirect and didn't really see much. I'll give up the OWL requirement if i really have to, which will just send me back to the Duratracs unless i find something better.

what do you guys have/recommend? pics on the current PW rims would be a bonus.

so here is where i am with my 2018 powerwagon.
so far have 25oo miles on stock setup.

purchased method NV in 17s and Toyo RT 35x12.5x17 Load E( i will run them 40-45 front and 35-40 rear)

i think this is your answer. the rt was a long time in the making by a company that makes the truest, longest lasting, most heavy duty tires, in large scale international markets.

trust me on this, i am picky about tires, performance over everything including cost. i took weight,construction, reviews,experience to heart.
wet/dry/sand/mud are all very important to me in south florida, and im confident in my selection.

they should fit stock and should run better then stock goodyears.

load range is same weight capacity as stock.

clearly with my 2018 being in the same boat as you...i already deal with the TPMS lights and warnings daily.... im running 50 front ~40 rear
just got them in the mail yesterday....will report back when mounted this weekend!!!
they look freakin incredible and so much tread!!!

pwjouster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
look at CJC offroad website, find the blog, or find them on instagram for inspiration.

alot of 35 rt setups on 17 and 18s.

BTW you clearly disagree...nothing looks bettter than huge BFG ko2s on offroad truck builds

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Try also asking in the 4th gen exterior section...also the 4th gen heavy duty section. Might get more suggestions

OP
OP
IRSmart

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
So, my entire life I have driven cars of various sizes, from Neons to Chargers. This will be my first non-sedan, let alone jumping all the way up to a heavy duty. So forgive me, I’ve never had to worry about load ratings before.

After research, the tires that the truck comes with are rated for up to 65 psi and I believe run at 60. I landed on and like the look of the. BFG KM2 mid terrains, but I steered away since they’re only D load rated up to 50 psi. I stumbled across the thread in the 4th gen HD section on how to adjust the dummy light thresholds, so as long as the procedure is still the same on the 2018 MY trucks I won’t have any issues there. My question now is in the fundementals or running a tire rated for less than the stock tires. What kind of things can I expect changing from a 285/70/17 AT tire at 60 PSI to a 35x12.5/17 MT tire at say 45 psi? Will the tire bulge due to the weight? Can I expect tire roll due to the weight of the truck? I don’t want to sacrifice performance just to go to a 35” tire, but since this is my first truck I feel like I’m playing with things I don’t entirely understand.

OP
OP
IRSmart

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Would you consider a 315/70/17?
I checked that size today, and lo and behold, i believe i have found a winner! Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ in a 315/70/17. Seems to satisfy all of my requirements (OWL, aggressive look, not overly aggressive, E load rating), and we have upfitted Jeeps at my dealership with that tire in that size i was able to look at today.

Truck should be here tomorrow or Tuesday, then the fun begins!

Last edited:

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Excellent choice for your beach driving! They should keep you from getting stuck in the sand.

Last edited: