Tires 2019 RAM 1500 Rebel - towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stephen Yale

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac LT275/70r18 tires fitted and will probably have to replace in the next 3 months. I tow a small (currently but will buy bigger soon) travel trailer with a gross weight of 3500 lbs. I like the tires and although have not been off road with them I would like to. I know questions like this are subjective but I am looking for opinions and the reason(s) for alternatives. So my specs are off road and towing what should I get?

This is my first truck and I love it!

Stephen

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
First, research the payload on the 1500, NOT towing/pulling. That is the limiting factor on the size of your trailer.

Second, get tires that are the max load rating for your truck.

Third, then look for the type of tire.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac LT275/70r18 tires fitted and will probably have to replace in the next 3 months. I tow a small (currently but will buy bigger soon) travel trailer with a gross weight of 3500 lbs. I like the tires and although have not been off road with them I would like to. I know questions like this are subjective but I am looking for opinions and the reason(s) for alternatives. So my specs are off road and towing what should I get?

This is my first truck and I love it!

Stephen
I picked Falken Wild Peak AT3W.

I off-road with them. They are ok. Not the best for off-roading.
They are R rated, for higher speed,
but also E with max load is 3750, so not bad for towing.

For just off-roading, M/T would be better.

Almost all Tire companies have online spec list.
So what I did was looked at all specs and picked best ones for my needs.
I plan on getting Falken M/T just for off-roading. But Wild Peak are good balance for towing and off-roading.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nothing wrong with getting the duratracs again. Pretty good tire imo.

I put the falken at3w’s on my power wagon when the duratracs wore out, and they have been a damn good tire.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What I personally have, Falkens, but since I do not carry a Big Load, got "C" Rated instead of "E" Rated tires. Tires are like Oil filters, oil, air filters, so many opinions. I have also had Toyo AT's, and done well. A lot of PPL like Michelin, again, all depends. I found the Falkens do well off-roading, BUT not extreme. That calls for suspension upgrades, etc etc. All IMHO...

New tire on truck.jpgNew tires left side truck.jpg

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Being a 1500 E rated is overkill. You could do a c rated or d rated tire. The vehicle gross weight limit is around 7,000 lbs if I remember correctly. Axle weight rating is 7800lbs or so. My truck has e rated tires because the size I run only comes in e rated unfortunately or I would have purchased a c rated tire if possible. If you are not planning on doing any off-roading I would lean towards a highway m+s rated tire for better mpg and better all around on road traction. If you do off-roading as well lean towards an AT tire like your current set. I like my 305/70r18 Mickey Thompson atz p3. They drive amazing. Super quiet. Even wear at 9,000 miles on them. Next set will be 285/75/r18 cooper discoverer at3 xlt to try and reduce rotational mass. They weigh 12lbs less per tire than my mickeys. Still E rated as well.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Duratracs are highly rated tires (usually the only type I'll buy from GY). I've had them on a number of my Wranglers and trucks. The only negative that most off-roaders will mention is the softer sidewall as compared to competitive manufacturers which really only matters if you're going to do some serious rock crawling.