To Cat or not to Cat?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramwad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am looking at swapping out the headers with some ARH Longtubes and stuck on should I get them with the cats or not. I have a Diablo T2 coming and can have the tuner fix any issues if I got cattless but not sure if there would be any benefit. I would guess the ARH with cats would be setup with good flowing cats but not sure. I will also be adding the vararam intake and still up in the air on the cat or no cat purchase. The system is pretty OEM except for the muffler which I swapped out to a borla. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you want to chase every ounce of horsepower than no cats. If you’re like me and want a sensible vehicle with good power than with cats are fine and can still pass a sniff test. Honestly I can’t see the high flow cats really robbing more than a few HP on a mildly built vehicle anyways.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
If you want to chase every ounce of horsepower than no cats. If you’re like me and want a sensible vehicle with good power than with cats are fine and can still pass a sniff test. Honestly I can’t see the high flow cats really robbing more than a few HP on a mildly built vehicle anyways.

Removing the stock cats on my wifes 2019 6.4 Challenger was good for almost a tenth .Car is totally stock and untuned,except for removal of the cats. Car went from a best of 11.91 with cats and it only ever did that once to a best of 11.805 with-out cats,and has ran several 11.80's since cat removal.DA was pretty well identical between days.That's the stock cats and i think they're a 400 cell cat though.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Removing the stock cats on my wifes 2019 6.4 Challenger was good for almost a tenth .Car is totally stock and untuned,except for removal of the cats. Car went from a best of 11.91 with cats and it only ever did that once to a best of 11.805 with-out cats,and has ran several 11.80's since cat removal.DA was pretty well identical between days.That's the stock cats and i think they're a 400 cell cat though.
That goes to prove removing the cats makes you quicker with the stop watch.:D

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
That goes to prove removing the cats makes you quicker with the stop watch.:D

Car gained a full mph at the track with-out the cats, removing them doesn't create any more crank horsepower,but it does free up some of the usable crank horsepower that's available,lol

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Car gained a full mph at the track with-out the cats, removing them doesn't create any more crank horsepower,but it does free up some of the usable crank horsepower that's available,lol
Theoretically anything creates backpressure so removing it has to help some.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ARH has good flowing cats but no cats will always be better. Will you notice the difference between ARH cats or no cats, probably not unless you are at the track and looking at your slips. Also volume comes into play. NO cats will be louder than the ARH cats. So take that into account too.

Let us know if we can help, we offer great pricing on ARH! Just send me a message for a quote

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
ARH has good flowing cats but no cats will always be better. Will you notice the difference between ARH cats or no cats, probably not unless you are at the track and looking at your slips. Also volume comes into play. NO cats will be louder than the ARH cats. So take that into account too.

Let us know if we can help, we offer great pricing on ARH! Just send me a message for a quote

Not sure how a 5.7 will react to no cats,but on the 6.4 it's a big enough differance to easily feel in the butt dyno Nick.A full tenth and 1 mph is very noticable.I never told the wife i'd cut the cats off her car,but she asked me what i'd done as her car felt faster,that's when i told her i'd cut the cats off.I didn't tell her,as i wanted to see if she noticed any differance,and she did.Admittedly a 6.4 is going to have more exhaust flow then a 5.7,but i'd almost lay odds there's a big enough differance even on a 5.7 to be noticable especially with a set of long tubes

Last edited:

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
At a track, mods such as this help because it is part of a list of things like shaving every unnecessary ounce from the vehicle. Street vehicles, why? You can keep a car legal (every little bit helps our air) and still get some more horsepower and performance. If you really want performance, run half tank of gas, lose some pounds, take all the big tires and push bars off. Then buy a Corvette 'cause you still weigh 6,000 pounds.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
At a track, mods such as this help because it is part of a list of things like shaving every unnecessary ounce from the vehicle. Street vehicles, why? You can keep a car legal (every little bit helps our air) and still get some more horsepower and performance. If you really want performance, run half tank of gas, lose some pounds, take all the big tires and push bars off. Then buy a Corvette 'cause you still weigh 6,000 pounds.
So true!
Weight added everywhere on my CCLB 2500 6.4 4X4 4.10:1

88 lbs for front grille bar
45 lbs for headache rack
60 lbs for side steps
60 lbs for 8' rubber bed mat
60 lbs for receiver hitches ( I carry 2)
20 lbs for 1/2" impact gun/battery/sockets
50 lbs for Jumper cables, straps, water, tools, food, first aid kit, flares,
30 lbs for ammo & cans, etc
240 lbs for my big ass
20 lbs for my "goes where I go" pack [emoji849]

And I STARTED with a 6,800 lb truck!
91ec8dbbedccef442edbe1845d42060d.jpge442dd71bfdd18bb73670fc097364402.jpg

Last edited:

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
^ And it looks really nice that way. I carry tools, hitch, etc. as well. That is what my truck is for.

co-pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I say if its a daily driver.....go with cats......you won't choke people in the front yard when you pull in the driveway, and you will be legal

OP
OP
ramwad

ramwad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well all good points and since I don't really track it and only like to get on it when someone wants to play around going down the road. I do like to see their face even with it stock when the don't understand even for its size the truck will move. I just want it to move a bit more lol. So I think I am going to go with the headers with cats sound should still be nice with Borla and after Vararam intake is one should sound nice. I will post a before and after clip. Sound is not an issue really or checks since we don't have them here, I just rather cat it and not worry about it. Thanks for all the help.

Wade

Saskwatch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I vote keep the cats. Catless stuff stinks and for the 2.2531 WHP You’ll gain on your 6,000lb truck is worthless in my opinion. You’d gain more in performance by removing your spare or other weight reductions.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
casey1981