To remove my cats or not

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Neo299

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
I have a 98 Ram 1500 Sport with a Magnum 5.2. Where I live catalytic converters are not required so my question is should I remove them or not. What are the pros and cons. I think it has only one O2 sensor before the cat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
There is no reason to remove them unless they are clogged and causing issues, they don't really restrict flow that much and you wont see any change at all in driveability.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No reason to do so. The current line of vehicles are so efficient you have no appreciable gains from removing them.

Kenne Bell themselves did a test on stock vs no cat cars with their supercharger upgrades and there wasn't an increase that was worth removing them.

If yours are clogged or bad thats a different story but to remove them for power has been gone since the 80's

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
The above posts are right but when pipe size is appropriate for setup. There is a restriction that does have a substantial effect on flow characteristics and output of the engine. Numbers are usually negligible however their locations change. The curve adjusts and CAN flatten out however it can also get rockier. Depends on what the engine dictates.

If you're asking the question then yours doesn't dictate that kind of flow characteristics. Don't bother unless it fails

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 97 magnum 5.2 has no cat. Only increase I got was in sound. I removed it for now because my plenum blew and I had a lot of oil dump into the exhaust.

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
Holy Cow Batman that sucks.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Holy Cow Batman that sucks.

If your talking about me my girlfriend was out in the truck with her niece and they were out shopping and I got a call that the truck was running funny. She was half an hour out and she drove all the way home with the truck smoking

Stegs

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.2L 318 C.I.
i removed mine due to it sounded like a bunch of marbles inside of it

Replaced with a magnaflow high flow cat (direct fit with downpipes) and new o2 sensors

No more rattle, made my truck a little louder, but i fixed that with a brand new magnaflow muffler!

Dont remove it unless it fails or rattles, then replace using a magnaflow direct fit....they are nice units

OP
OP
N

Neo299

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Ok thanks for the input guys. I will just leave it then. I am going to replace the stock muffler with a flomaster super 44 so that should help with power some.

Stegs

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.2L 318 C.I.
Ok thanks for the input guys. I will just leave it then. I am going to replace the stock muffler with a flomaster super 44 so that should help with power some.

flowmaster, come on son.....you can do better than that

if your looking for power, flowmaster wont give it to you. Only thing you will gain in a very loud, annoying truck that make a whopping 0hp more than stock

Flowmasters dont really "flow"

What you meant to say is replace the stock muffler with a magnaflow (straight thru design) or dynomax muffler

*fixed it for you* you can thank me later !!:happy107:

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I couldn't get a Dynomax super Turbo with a single in and single out. I managed to get a Thrush Muffler which best I can tell is the same muffler anyway. No videos of mine yet but I can post them later.

Stegs

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.2L 318 C.I.
I couldn't get a Dynomax super Turbo with a single in and single out. I managed to get a Thrush Muffler which best I can tell is the same muffler anyway. No videos of mine yet but I can post them later.

you will thank yourself everytime you drive your truck that you wen that way. Flowmasters may sound cool for the first week, but then you hate it.

You did it right the first time. Nothing wrong with that muffler, it will flow and sound good.....

SportyJames

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If your talking about me my girlfriend was out in the truck with her niece and they were out shopping and I got a call that the truck was running funny. She was half an hour out and she drove all the way home with the truck smoking

Sooo, ex-GF now?

j/k.

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
I'm talking about blowing your plentium.Not your girl friend I'm just concerned about the truck Crazykid1994 .

Last edited:

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
you will thank yourself everytime you drive your truck that you wen that way. Flowmasters may sound cool for the first week, but then you hate it.

You did it right the first time. Nothing wrong with that muffler, it will flow and sound good.....

Oh, I love this muffler.. I've had experience with Dronemaster.
This one is deep with no drone. I do have it dumped at an extreme 90 angle though. I should fix that.

OP
OP
N

Neo299

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Oh, I love this muffler.. I've had experience with Dronemaster.

This one is deep with no drone. I do have it dumped at an extreme 90 angle though. I should fix that.

Well then a Magnaflo 4" straight thru and it is only $64

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Well then a Magnaflo 4" straight thru and it is only $64

My Thrush Turbo was $33 and sounds good. :)

I will need to get a high flow cat in the not so distant future though. While I was in the process of reaching the muffler I noticed the cat was rattling really, really badly. So I had to gut it. I don't like riding with a hollow cat so it will get replaced.

OP
OP
N

Neo299

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Thrush does not impress me. I am not really going for the sound as much for the power increase.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Thrush does not impress me. I am not really going for the sound as much for the power increase.

Straight through mufflers are your best option there. They also sound much better.