Wiring Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TexasJon65

Reaction score
Ram Year
98, 99, 2001, 2005, 2009, 2018
Engine
5.2, 5.9, 5.9 Cummins, 6.7
Hello all
On my 98 Ram 1500 with the 5.2 motor I have an issue.
We had a neighbor dogs chase a cat up into the engine area then begin to chew and rip wires in an attempt to get to the kittens.
The dog chewed several wires including spark plugs wires and the positive harness to the starter.
I can no figure out where one wire came from.
It's a brown or blackish wire that comes out of the power distribution center and appears to have been running down towards the starter.
At this point when your turn the key it does nothing the engine will not crank.IMG_1055.jpegIMG_1049.jpegIMG_1056.jpeg

Black-Wolf

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Possibly a ground wire... Can't tell from those pics. You should be able to take a multimeter and set it to resistance, then go from the break to your frame, or from the break to the ground lug on the starter - if you get 0 ohms at both - then it is a ground. If you get infinity, then it might not be a ground wire. Locate the starter relay in the fuse box and see if you get ohms to the broken end on the fuse box side. If you do, it's power to the starter. If it goes into the cabin through a FW break, then it might be power or ground for the ignition key.