Tonneau Cover for 2018 Laramie short bed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Still really like my roll n locks. 3rd one for me.IMG_20171126_120427.jpg IMG_20171126_120259.jpg

TatertotScott

The man, the myth, the legend, the one and only!
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I really enjoy my BAK revolver x2. Stays dry inside, rolls very nicely, no chance of the sides being lifted like its Velcro-sided rivals, holds 400 lbs if necessary on top, looks like a soft-top which I like. This thing is super secure compared to ANY soft top, and just as secure as any solid/fiberglass tonneau.

Even though the instructions state you are supposed to close the tailgate first, I regularly close my tailgate with the cover closed or open without issue.

Installation was a breeze too.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Let us know if we can assist you in your purchase. We offer great pricing on bed covers and carry many brands. Send me a message if you would like a quote

BTD07

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I also have been looking into tonneaus, but my question is, do people break into them often? I decided Id only get a hard tonneau, but of course the price sky rockets compared to soft. My fear is that a tonneau on makes one think theres something under, even if its empty. Whos to stop them from slicing them open? I see a ton of guys with them on here, but never really in real life. The whole point to me is the ability to keep stuff in the bed without worrying, not really keeping things dry. But then wheres the safety? Its the reason I have put off getting one.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I've had people break into my truck cab, but so far never into my tonneau. If they tried to slice it I'd notice since it's vinyl over steel. That said whenever I go into Vancouver I take everything out of the box and leave the cover open to avoid the temptation. Luckily I don't do that very often.

TatertotScott

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've had people break into my truck cab, but so far never into my tonneau. If they tried to slice it I'd notice since it's vinyl over steel. That said whenever I go into Vancouver I take everything out of the box and leave the cover open to avoid the temptation. Luckily I don't do that very often.
I do much the same. BUT it is nice when I do happen to have something of value in the bed, that no one can get to it, even with a big knife.

Tapatalked from my expensive "smart" phone.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
"Out of sight out of mind"

The only time our vehicles have been broken into is when my girlfriend has left something out for the thieves to see. Thieves are in general lazy and I can't imagine they would expend the effort to break into the bed cover not knowing if there is a "reward" of some kind underneath.

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had a hard cover on last truck for 5 years and with current for another 4 and in that time never had an issue with breaking and entering. In reality while obviously more protection than a soft cover the hard cover panels use plastic latches so if someone really wanted to enter it a crow bar should take care of it without breaking a sweat.

But, as was said, out of sight, out of mind.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I prefer the roll type covers since I need full bed access multiple times a day and the tri folds are a bit of a pain to fold up every time vs the unlock and give it a quick shove of the premium roll type. I'd go roll n lock or retrax if you want a secure cover and never take it off. The roll n lock uses less bed space of the 2, which is why I went roll n lock. Tri fold hard cover like truxedo or bakflip if you want secure, but don't need to access the bed too often apart from next to the tailgate and want to remove it completely. A soft roll up if you just want something to keep stuff dry in the back, but don't care about security as they are a lot cheaper and will do the job if that's all you require.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
The Bakflip MX4 does not need to be lifted to open and close the tailgate. I just installed one on my truck over the weekend:

296c6631013dec43d6f5fc1627bb0760.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hitchhiker,
Does it interfere with the ram boxes or keep them from opening?

FROM THANKAVETTODAY

TatertotScott

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Had a hard cover on last truck for 5 years and with current for another 4 and in that time never had an issue with breaking and entering. In reality while obviously more protection than a soft cover the hard cover panels use plastic latches so if someone really wanted to enter it a crow bar should take care of it without breaking a sweat.

But, as was said, out of sight, out of mind.
You would be causing significant damage to the bed of the truck before getting the locks on the Revolver X2 to give. The use a full length aluminum bar down each side, and steel brackets holding that bar in place near the latches.

A typical, classic, hard cover though, you are absolutely correct in most cases.

Tapatalked from my expensive "smart" phone.

HitchHiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hitchhiker,
Does it interfere with the ram boxes or keep them from opening?

FROM THANKAVETTODAY

Nope, here’s a pic of one of my ramboxes open, cover closed:

9b49f7ec7d1929bd16c51af2f1cb3e06.jpg

Basically along the bed between the rambox and the bed itself is a two inch rubber seal on the bakflip cover, so the one inch on the rambox side simply folds up along with the rambox when you open it, and folds right back down when you close the rambox. Never had an issue with the seals on either of my RAMs.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Nope, here’s a pic of one of my ramboxes open, cover closed:

9b49f7ec7d1929bd16c51af2f1cb3e06.jpg

Basically along the bed between the rambox and the bed itself is a two inch rubber seal on the bakflip cover, so the one inch on the rambox side simply folds up along with the rambox when you open it, and folds right back down when you close the rambox. Never had an issue with the seals on either of my RAMs.

Awesome

Ramsal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
My last truck had a BakFlip and on this one I have the MOPAR cover. They are both nice but I do like that the MOPAR does not need to be lifted to open and close the tailgate.

MOPAR cover below:

full
I have the Mopar cover too that was installed at the dealer. I have to lift it to open or close the tailgate
My last truck had a BakFlip and on this one I have the MOPAR cover. They are both nice but I do like that the MOPAR does not need to be lifted to open and close the tailgate.

MOPAR cover below:

full

Ramsal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I think the dealer installed the tailgate hook because the instructions said too, but I think it’s unnecessary since the tailgate has a lock and the Mopar cover has a separate lock. I will probably just remove the hook and tongue latch for the cover . It really is a nice cover even though I probably paid too much at the dealer. $900 installed, which took them 2 hrs. I didn’t want to wait until spring to do it myself.

Longhorn45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've had two Bak-Flips previously and loved them outside the opening and closing of the tailgate. With that said, I just installed a Peragon cover on my 1500 two weeks ago. Biggest benefit over the bakflip is that when its open, you can still see out the back window. Not to mention slightly more affordable. I highly recommend checking them out.

clay282

Black Betty had a child... named Betty White
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I just bought a Tyger tri-fold for around $230 on amazon for my 2018 RAM Quad Cab. The build quality is fantastic, it looks great and is a fraction of the cost of almost all of the other well known brands. This is the second tri-fold that I've bought (owned one for my Titan in 2005). Anyway, tri-folds are very versatile, water tight and the Tyger brand fits RAMs really nicely.
I ordered the same one. I don't remember the brand of the last one I had but this one is just as good. I really like it, fits good.

HitchHiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had two Bak-Flips previously and loved them outside the opening and closing of the tailgate. With that said, I just installed a Peragon cover on my 1500 two weeks ago. Biggest benefit over the bakflip is that when its open, you can still see out the back window. Not to mention slightly more affordable. I highly recommend checking them out.

Paragon is great, however I do not believe they have a rambox cover option.

Beagler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Installed the Undercover Ultra Flex on mine that I purchased from Tonneau Factory Outlet. 2nd Undercover flex I've had and they work great with no leaks. With the Ultra flex no worries on closing the tailgate.