TONNEAU COVER - HARD TRI FOLD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KDP224

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any recommendations for a hard fold tonneau cover on a 2018 Ram 1500 with a 6.4 box quad cab ST model. Currently I am looking at the Bak MX4 however is there anything that would be as good for less money? Any suggestions are appreciated

Craw

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Careful going cheap. The cheap ones like to pull on the plastic rails causing them to lift and vibrate paint away. Why I just looked for the revolver x2 for used on amazon. Got it for 320 out the door. Never getting anything else.

GIJoe2010

No sh*t, there I was . . .
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any recommendations for a hard fold tonneau cover on a 2018 Ram 1500 with a 6.4 box quad cab ST model. Currently I am looking at the Bak MX4 however is there anything that would be as good for less money? Any suggestions are appreciated

I have this exact one and love it. I got it from our supporting vendor Tonnaeu Factory Outlet.

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
I found my Extang trifold on Craigslist. It retailed for $900 and I picked it up for $250. It actually came off of a Silverado in near mint condition. The Silverado short bed was exactly 1” longer than mine, but the cover fit just fine.

OP
OP
K

KDP224

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
thank-you for your input. I have the Extang on my old Ram which sits on top of the bed however my only issue from day one was that water would seep into the bed. I realize that these covers cannot be 100% water proof so that is why I was thinking maybe the MX4 from Bak as it seems to be able to channel water out. Does this make sense or do you think my old tonneau cover may have been installed incorrectly.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The MOPAR hard trifold cover is water tight and works well. Excellent quality. The cheap covers leak either immediately or after the second winter. The expensive ones also leak badly, soaking whatever is in the bed. You would think if you spend a lot of cash on a name brand one that they should be good quality, but it turns out to be mostly marketing. I would never buy another BAK because it leaked and fell apart with routine/daily use after about 2 years. They sent me more seals and fasteners but it just leaked at the seams, eventually they gave up. Very disappointed in the product.

Now if you don't care much about leakage and fit, and plan to replace them every three years or so, just about any cover will do.

Last edited:

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
thank-you for your input. I have the Extang on my old Ram which sits on top of the bed however my only issue from day one was that water would seep into the bed. I realize that these covers cannot be 100% water proof so that is why I was thinking maybe the MX4 from Bak as it seems to be able to channel water out. Does this make sense or do you think my old tonneau cover may have been installed incorrectly.

I don’t think there’s an incorrect way to install it since it can only go on one way. Mine gets a trickle of water in it too. I don’t keep anything in my bed, so it’s never an issue. The times I have traveled with stuff in the bed while raining hasn’t been an issue either. Most everything lays flat along the ridges in the bed while any trickle of water runs along the valleys to the drain holes.

Craw

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
HEMI 5.7

Makes sense to me. You are right they cant be 100%. Have you tried. May sound wierd. Lay in the bed, close it and have the wife take a flashlight shine through the entire edge to find the holes. Then take some weather stripping and patch it?

ncgrl1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 RAM LongHorn 4x4
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I don't know where you are located but I have a roll-up Mopar cover for sale that I just put on Craigslist. It's 1 year old and for a 6' bed. I bought another one just like it for my 2018 with a 5' bed. I'm in western N.C.

Will_Power

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Is there really much difference between the Bakflip G2 and the MX4 other than the paint and the load rating (300 vs 400 lbs)?

Beagler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I went with the Undercover Ultra Flex from Tonneau Factory Outlet. No water at all in my truck even after going through the car wash.

tma777

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have Bak MX4, it leaks very little. I did add stake pocket tie downs for the ones near the tailgate and added a tailgate seal to seal up the side edges of the tailgate. I do get some water on the sides but nothing major even going through the car wash.

jouart

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
Only had my G4 elite fold a cover a couple weeks but I like it
IMG_0003.JPG

spencer1122

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
5.7 HEMI
im also looking for a hard tri-fold. im having a hard time choosing between the bakflip mx4 and the undercover ultraflex.

pretty much the same cover, the proping system and the underside being carpeted on the ultraflex are the main differences.

was wondering if i got the ultraflex if you can still open and lean the cover on the cab just to load it? or do i need to secure with the prop rods every time?

TR Shaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.4
I only prop to run. However strap it if you run partially open. The bang when the slipstream tried to close my first BAK on my old Ridgeline got my attention.
I am getting a rub on the rear window (RAM 2500 6.4 bed) as I run it propped when towing my 5th wheel. Anybody got a fix for the rub?

Stage4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8 Cyl
All of the covers mentioned have a 1 (G2) to 5 year warranty (Ultra Flex). Only the Truck Gear covers have a lifetime warranty.