Tonneau suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bricknhank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Crew Cab,
I have a 2020 1500 Longhorn Crew Cab 5’-7” bed with Rambox. I currently have a Truxedo Pro X15 soft Tonneau which has been great and has served me well. I’m thinking about getting a hardtop tonneau. I am probably leaning towards a retractable as opposed to a 3 or 4 piece flip-up because if I want to haul something and utilize the entire bed I’m not too keen on the tonneau blocking the rear window. As many of you know the choices are limited with the Rambox but I’m sure open for suggestions.

Rav3ncroft

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Take a look at the Revolver x4s. I believe that's the right one for your truck but you'll need to verify.

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Remember that a Revolver type takes up about a foot of bed length for the mechanism and housing. Many of the hard fold cover like the Undercover Flex series fold up leaving only a couple of inches of the tonneau intruding into the bed.

Yes they do block the rear window but generally so does any large object you are hauling. That's why trucks come with those large door mirrors.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I dont have the Rambox but I use a soft roll up tonneau. I'm not sure if any are made for the Rambox beds but when its rolled up it doesn't take up any room in the bed and it does not block your view. Just giving you something else to consider

OP
OP
Bricknhank

Bricknhank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Crew Cab,
I dont have the Rambox but I use a soft roll up tonneau. I'm not sure if any are made for the Rambox beds but when its rolled up it doesn't take up any room in the bed and it does not block your view. Just giving you something else to consider
Yes, I have a soft roll up now. You’re right, it doesn’t take up much space at the front of the bed when rolled up, it’s just not very secure. Kind of like a convertible. All you need is a knife.

OP
OP
Bricknhank

Bricknhank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Crew Cab,
Remember that a Revolver type takes up about a foot of bed length for the mechanism and housing. Many of the hard fold cover like the Undercover Flex series fold up leaving only a couple of inches of the tonneau intruding into the bed.

Yes they do block the rear window but generally so does any large object you are hauling. That's why trucks come with those large door mirrors.
I agree with the Revolver type taking up quite a bit of space when rolled up. I may as well get a retractable as opposed to that.
I can think of a number of large things that I hauled that still allowed me to see out of the back window. Maybe not 100% but certainly not 100% blockage either like the solid flip type tonneaus. Yes, I use my side mirrors but if manufacturers didn’t want you to utilize that nice large rear window they would make everything like a panel truck . I may ultimately decide to go that route after I weigh out all of the pluses and minuses of each. I need to sort through the few that work with a Rambox. I appreciate the suggestions and please keep them coming.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, I have a soft roll up now. You’re right, it doesn’t take up much space at the front of the bed when rolled up, it’s just not very secure. Kind of like a convertible. All you need is a knife.
Ive been using a soft cover for years and nobody has bothered it at all but I'd rather have a criminal use a knife to cut the cover than a pry bar, screwdriver or hammer to pry open the cover possibly damaging the bed sides or tail gate

OP
OP
Bricknhank

Bricknhank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Crew Cab,
Ive been using a soft cover for years and nobody has bothered it at all but I'd rather have a criminal use a knife to cut the cover than a pry bar, screwdriver or hammer to pry open the cover possibly damaging the bed sides or tail gate
I suppose there’s something to that logic. Or they may just keep going and look for the next easier prey.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
While it may be pricey I have a rollnlock M series. Had them on my last 3 trucks. Require some minor maintenance to keep them from freezing shut in the winter, but apart from that they work well, keep stuff dry apart from around the tailgate as long as you keep the drains clear (if not the drain box will overflow or in the winter whatever thaws will end up freezing in the box so you can't roll it open). I use wd40, wire dryer or whatever on hand to clean the lock/latches, clear the drains and then coat the runners/latches and lock with spray grease to keep moisture out once or twice a year and have no trouble with it as low as -50 so far. 3 covers over the last 17 years. Could have used the same cover for all 3 trucks, but I keep selling them on the truck and buying new ones for new trucks. Well built, parts available not that I've ever needed them and available for ram box. Also, the smallest cannister I've seen so the least cargo space lost.

Finla-Mor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I had a Revolver X4 on my 2019, I have no idea what people are talking about it taking up bed space, it takes up NONE because it's rolling on top of the box and all the way against the cab. It overlapped the front panel of the cab an inch or two at best.

Now, the Retrax I just ordered for my 2021 is going to take up bed space for the mechanism. I went with the Retrax as, over time, the vinyl cover of the Revolver faded, it's also very difficult to operate in cold weather if needed. Other than those two quibbles I liked it. I just decided to step it up with the full metal of the Retrax (at significantly more money).

Rav3ncroft

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a Revolver X4 on my 2019, I have no idea what people are talking about it taking up bed space, it takes up NONE because it's rolling on top of the box and all the way against the cab.
Agreed, I like my X4. My brother in law purchased one after seeing mine and he's enjoying his as well.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I had a Revolver X4 on my 2019, I have no idea what people are talking about it taking up bed space, it takes up NONE because it's rolling on top of the box and all the way against the cab. It overlapped the front panel of the cab an inch or two at best.

Now, the Retrax I just ordered for my 2021 is going to take up bed space for the mechanism. I went with the Retrax as, over time, the vinyl cover of the Revolver faded, it's also very difficult to operate in cold weather if needed. Other than those two quibbles I liked it. I just decided to step it up with the full metal of the Retrax (at significantly more money).
I found the metal slat type retractables the worst in cold weather. Moisture gets between the slats and freezes. My vinyl coated one works like a dream as long as I do the maintenance. I'm not in a hot climate though so the vinyl doesn't take as much punishment in the summer.

Tracy in IL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 diesel
I have the long box, the ram boxes, and Tuxedo does sell I Low-Pro model for it. I got it order and installed within 2 weeks.

mandavdle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I too have the revolver on my 2017 Laramie. It required some adjustment to the catch cord when I installed it but has held up well since 2017. Heavy snow not a problem and minimal leaks once you seal the post holes.

Iiplus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2020 1500 Longhorn Crew Cab 5’-7” bed with Rambox. I currently have a Truxedo Pro X15 soft Tonneau which has been great and has served me well. I’m thinking about getting a hardtop tonneau. I am probably leaning towards a retractable as opposed to a 3 or 4 piece flip-up because if I want to haul something and utilize the entire bed I’m not too keen on the tonneau blocking the rear window. As many of you know the choices are limited with the Rambox but I’m sure open for suggestions.
Try Under Cover hardtop covers. Look great and great customer service. I bought one in 2011, a bracket broke in 2020. When I reached out to get a replacement part they offered to send me a new hardtop cover for $200.

Tony Stark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a Roll-N-Lock and liked it except for the area at the front of the bed that it used. If you need that space it’s a pain to take it out.
I’ve had 4 of the folding type and I like them better. Currently I have a BakFlip MX4 on my Ram 2500 with 6’4” bed which I like the best of any of them although it is a little heavy. I had a warranty issue and found their customer service to be great.

No_cards

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a lo-max. I'm really happy with it. It's a folding cover. The last section doesn't fold up against the window. The benefit of it is it's really easy to remove with one person if you need the whole bed. It just un clips and pulls out. Looks really good imho too.

Phillykid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Roll n Lock A-series on my '21 Bighorn Quad - has the powdercoat metal top finish instead of the vinyl. Yeah, does take up a small amount of room up front but only from the top of the bed - underneath the housing is still plenty of space to push things all the way up front beneath it. In my case I have the 6'4" bed length anyway so not anticipating much if any space issues in my truck's lifetime

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio