Tonneau suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clint440

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a ram box and on my second tonneau cover. The first one came on my pickup when my bought it which a backflip mx4. It got some cosmetic damage in an accident so replaced it with the truxedo sentry CT. (I actually have it for sale)

The truxedo sentry is a hard roll-up cover, I definitely prefer it over the Bakflip. It can be easily removed if you need the xtra space but I don't feel it takes up any more space than the backflip tri-fold and I can still see out the back.

OP
OP
Bricknhank

Bricknhank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Crew Cab,
The Extang is a soft tri-fold which wouldn’t be any more secure than my current Truxedo soft roll up. I’m looking for something that can’t be cut with a knife.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
let us know if we can offer a quote on anything. We offer most brands and great pricing on them. For retractables it is hard to beat Retrax and Roll N Lock

AwesomeLaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter V8 Hemi MDS VVT
I have a 2020 1500 Longhorn Crew Cab 5’-7” bed with Rambox. I currently have a Truxedo Pro X15 soft Tonneau which has been great and has served me well. I’m thinking about getting a hardtop tonneau. I am probably leaning towards a retractable as opposed to a 3 or 4 piece flip-up because if I want to haul something and utilize the entire bed I’m not too keen on the tonneau blocking the rear window. As many of you know the choices are limited with the Rambox but I’m sure open for suggestions.

The Revolver 4XS is the cover you want. I have it with my ram boxes and it works great.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
the X4S is a great cover. Our customers love it. BAK fixed the little issues the X4 had with the new X4S. It is a great cover and a popular seller for us.

OP
OP
Bricknhank

Bricknhank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Crew Cab,
What were the issues that they had? Someone posted on here that they had a revolver and the top would freeze to the rail and it was difficult to open.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The X4 had cloth runners that would fail and fall off. The X4S are a rubber and much more durable. Also the underside was silver which customers didnt like due to reflections and cosmetic appearance, the X4S has a black underside to combat this. Those were the main issues I remember

OP
OP
Bricknhank

Bricknhank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Crew Cab,
Does the revolver 4XS seal as well as the BAKflip MX4 tri-fold?

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
some of the reviews state the 4xs leaks.

Yangster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi eTorque
I have a '21 Ltd Longhorn w/rambox. I bought the Truckcovers USA retractable in matte finish. The housing is the smallest at 8x8". It is one of the more expensive models, but you get what you pay for. I paid a couple hundred less on autoplicity.com and no tax.

Attachments

• tonneau 2.jpg
    tonneau 2.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 12
  • Tonneau1.jpg
    Tonneau1.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 12

LugsLeadOut84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
some of the reviews state the 4xs leaks.

You'll find some reviews for every cover that say it leaks.
I think leaking is subjective and only the single-piece toppers don't leak at all, but in my opinion are very limited in their functionality. I'm realistic and accept minor leaking/spotting around the tailgate. I mean we're talking about the bed of a truck - not the interior. By design, it's exposed to the elements. A cover is designed to limit the exposure and provide substantial protection from the elements. If it does that, it's effective in my book.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
just about no cover is 100% water proof. Most quality covers will be 99% water proof though. Some instances that I see/hear from customers that have lead to leaks....
-In proper install, I have seen some people just not line things up correctly or tighten things enough. I have seen covers misaligned or shifted too far in one direction.
-extreme situations cause leaks. HEAVY storm rain, car washes with high pressure water sprayers that spray from the side, things like this.
-not doing proper maintenance. Many of these covers us a drain rail with drain tubes. Debris like dirt, pine needles etc...can block the rails and tubes. Periodically they should be checked and cleaned if needed.

Barring these stated conditions your bed should stay dry. I personally have used BAK, Undercover, Retrax, Truxedo, and Extang. They all kept my bed dry other than a few times and that was due to Hurricane weather. Don't rush the install and be thorough with your install. After that make sure to conduct preventative maintenance on the cover's drainage and your bed should stay dry under normal conditions.

Anyone needing a bed cover please feel free to contact me directly with questions and for pricing

Last edited: