Topper third brake light Wire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dennis Gulau

Reaction score
Ram Year
1997, 2015, 2017
Engine
5.9l, Ecodiesel, 5.7l
I have a 2018 2500 4x4.

I have a topper to put on and want to wire in the third brake light.
I've read that there is supposed to be a wire stubbed out of the factory harness that is for the third brake light in a topper but can't for the life of me find it.

Any tips on finding this mystery wire?
Or perhaps a different way to wire in a third brake light?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I believe is a Wht/Purple wire located about where the receiver mounts to the frame on the driver's side. That where I found mine(it a 1500 though), your should be in the similar area.
Depending on the topper, my Leer actually has a module that you wire the Left and Right trailer lights to and that turns the Third brake light on. The topper also has lights and power lock(that wired to the tailgate lock).

OP
OP
D

Dennis Gulau

Reaction score
Ram Year
1997, 2015, 2017
Engine
5.9l, Ecodiesel, 5.7l
I believe is a Wht/Purple wire located about where the receiver mounts to the frame on the driver's side. That where I found mine(it a 1500 though), your should be in the similar area.
Depending on the topper, my Leer actually has a module that you wire the Left and Right trailer lights to and that turns the Third brake light on. The topper also has lights and power lock(that wired to the tailgate lock).

Thanks, that is where I've been looking. If it is there, It must be hidden well.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Thanks, that is where I've been looking. If it is there, It must be hidden well.
Tried my Google-Foo and came up with a video, it's of a '15 2500 though

In a description on another forum someone noted the wire was under the spare tire.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Glad you found it. I was getting ready to reply that it was on the passenger side on my '16 2500 and to look there, but you beat me to it. There was only one wire on mine for the brake light so not sure what the others are for on the '18? For the interior lights in the topper I ran a hot wire all the way from the fuse box under the hood back to it.

OP
OP
D

Dennis Gulau

Reaction score
Ram Year
1997, 2015, 2017
Engine
5.9l, Ecodiesel, 5.7l
Glad you found it. I was getting ready to reply that it was on the passenger side on my '16 2500 and to look there, but you beat me to it. There was only one wire on mine for the brake light so not sure what the others are for on the '18? For the interior lights in the topper I ran a hot wire all the way from the fuse box under the hood back to it.

I have the auxiliary switch option. The two extra wires are for battery power and ignition power through the aux switches if I want it.

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I have the auxiliary switch option. The two extra wires are for battery power and ignition power through the aux switches if I want it.
Ancient thread, but this is where I got my info to search for it. I extended the wires on the topper harness and ran them and strapped the extended harness. I was looking for the fulltime power for the topper dome light and bupkiss. Neither had power no matter of off/acc/on. Incase we overnight somewhere in the bed, won't have to have the key in. Unstrapped everything and tapped off the 7way trailer hitch full time power in the bed.

20230826_103442[1].jpg

1693082214977.png