Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matthew Hallman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l Magnum
Hello everyone. I'm new to the forums and hope this is posted in the right section. I'm having some very troubling problems with my Dodge. It is a 2002.5 (3rd gen) ram 1500 SLT 4x4 with the 5.9l Magnum and a 46re auto. I've been driving the truck for over a year with no issues, however it developed a problem where sometimes coming from a complete stop, you would start to accelerate and it would move slow, and then feel like it finally kicked in to gear and would accelerate normally. Shortly after, I was coming home one night with cruise control set to 65mph and I went up a slight hill and doing so the truck upshifted one gear, and when that happened the truck revved out and would no longer move. Every gear basically came neutral. You couldn't even feel the truck engage in any gear, R, D, 1, or 2. And there is also a whining noise. Fluid had already been due for a change which was supposed to happen the following weekend. Doesn't smell burnt, but was fairly dark, with some metal but hardly any. There wasn't any metal previous to this happening and the fluid was still nice and red. If the truck is in drive, reverse, 1 or 2, there is a whining noise and it doesn't move at all or try to. If the truck is in park or neutral, the whining noise is gone. And also like I said, you can't even feel the truck shift in to any gear anymore. It won't even engage as usually you can feel when you change to reverse or drive etc. I pulled the trans out yesterday, and was thinking based off what I read that it was just the torque converter. As I read if it was the pump, it would constantly make the sound. But in neutral or park it does not. I start a new job tomorrow and have just today to figure this out, unless it means a new transmission. Any help is greatly appreciated. I just needed a second opinion from my exact problem as I could only find somewhat similar threads. Thanks in advance.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Did you sort this out?