Towing Mirrors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HAL9001

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
New here and need some advice. I'm configuring a build for a 2021 Laramie but I'm hung up with which mirrors to order, the standard or the towing mirrors.

In 2020, the towing mirrors didn't include some of the advanced features of the Laramie's standard mirrors, such as power folding, but for 2021 they fixed that. The towing mirrors now have all of the same advanced features as the Laramie's standard mirrors, with the possible exception of auto-dimming.

Two questions:
Does anyone know for certain if the 2021 towing mirrors include auto-dimming or not?

Do the towing mirrors offer a significant advantage over the standard mirrors for towing? The standard mirrors look big enough and have convex additions. It looks to me like they would work well enough for towing, but it's hard to tell.

I'd appreciate any insight on this. Thanks.

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel
New here and need some advice. I'm configuring a build for a 2021 Laramie but I'm hung up with which mirrors to order, the standard or the towing mirrors.

In 2020, the towing mirrors didn't include some of the advanced features of the Laramie's standard mirrors, such as power folding, but for 2021 they fixed that. The towing mirrors now have all of the same advanced features as the Laramie's standard mirrors, with the possible exception of auto-dimming.

Two questions:
Does anyone know for certain if the 2021 towing mirrors include auto-dimming or not?

Do the towing mirrors offer a significant advantage over the standard mirrors for towing? The standard mirrors look big enough and have convex additions. It looks to me like they would work well enough for towing, but it's hard to tell.

It really depends on what you are going to tow. Most of the year I just move around a jet ski so the regular mirrors are fine. However when I tow my 20 foot enclosed trailed the tow mirrors really help see around it when they are flipped up.

It's personal preference I think. As far as auto dimming no they still don't from reading a few build sheets.

Last edited:

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
same as above. I have the tow mirrors but I only turn em up when towing my travel trailer and they help to see all the way down the trailer. I leave em in the normal position for daily driving and pulling my utility trailer. my truck garage has 9' wide door and the truck barely fits thru there with mirrors in the normal position..a cpl. inches to spare on each side.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
same as above. I have the tow mirrors but I only turn em up when towing my travel trailer and they help to see all the way down the trailer. I leave em in the normal position for daily driving and pulling my utility trailer. my truck garage has 9' wide door and the truck barely fits thru there with mirrors in the normal position..a cpl. inches to spare on each side.
What do you mean you turn them down? Really? They turn down? All I ever see are the ********* driving around with the moose antlers up and a ghost trailer. Lol

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

NH RAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Tradesman 2500 Snow Chief
Engine
The towing mirrors are good while towing a larger trailer and also provide a good view of the rear wheels while backing up in the normal position. I like the towing mirrors better than the non-towing. On the 2500 I haven't had a need for the auto-dimming feature (I don't currently have it), but it was very helpful to have on my 2016 1500.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
What do you mean you turn them down? Really? They turn down? All I ever see are the ********* driving around with the moose antlers up and a ghost trailer. Lol

they turn up to vertical and when you do that, they also are a little farther out. they do make the truck look mooselike..especially without a trailer hooked on

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
they turn up to vertical and when you do that, they also are a little farther out
You missed the sarcasm buddy...lol

I know they do.... But apparently most guys that own them don't turn them back to normal like you when not towing

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I know they do.... But apparently most guys that own them don't turn them back to normal like you when not towing

I see lots of people around here driving with ghost trailers, or maybe looking for trucker love? I understand if you're actually towing something sizeable, but otherwise it looks ridiculous to me as well.

Back on topic, I've had 2 rams with towing mirrors and one without. Now that the tow mirrors have all the features that the non tows do, I see no reason not to go with them.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'

Most guys that drive around with them flipped up all the time have probably never towed a trailer in their life

clayinfla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi - no etorque
I tow an RV, and use my tow mirrors. The mirrors are really good when up, but TERRIBLE when down. Huge blind spots and distorted optics. I often leave them up after parking my trailer because the safety is so much greater and view so much superior. Feel free to laugh at me, I can handle it.

OP
OP
HAL9001

HAL9001

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I tow an RV, and use my tow mirrors. The mirrors are really good when up, but TERRIBLE when down. Huge blind spots and distorted optics. I often leave them up after parking my trailer because the safety is so much greater and view so much superior. Feel free to laugh at me, I can handle it.
This post has me concerned enough not to order the tow mirrors. So, are the standard mirrors good enough for towing a 7' wide, 22' long travel trailer?

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
they might be fine for that width..I think you get more features with the standard mirrors and you can buy some pretty nice clip-on extensions to use just when towing if need be. I had a set for my '17 sierra and my trailer is 8' wide and they did help quite a bit. when clipped over the oem mirrors, they looked like standard equipment. even tho the moose mirrors work pretty well when turned up, I wish they werent split screen.

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
On my 2013 2500 I used the clip on mirrors and they vibrated alot. To by the more expensive clip-ons were half the cost of tow mirrors. So I bought tow mirrors.MMy 3500 had them stock.

I leave mine up because on my Tradesman the smaller mirror I manually adjusted. I don't want the bother to readjust every other week as it is a pin to do so by myself.

I like the same view in the mirrors all the time. Dealing with all the inattentive drives I need all the advantage I can get.

Last edited:

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Give it a try with the stock mirrors. I think you will be comfortable with a 7' wide trailer as long as the trailer isn't too long

CKayaks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

Embarrassed to say it, but the opposite here. Have had my 2018 2500 for 18 months now. Just realized the mirrors flip UP after reading this thread! :confused: Major 'duh!' moment. Never had these kind of mirrors on prior trucks and was just happy they folded in so I could get through the garage door.

Rarely tow anything now that needs the "moose antlers" but it would have been handy last year when I was pulling enclosed equipment trailers back and forth between MT and NorCal.

SOLER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
My first Dodge Ram, a 2000 2500, had the regular mirrors. I hated them. I put the clip-ons for towing, and they shook so bad that they were useless. I was looking in my owner's manual, and came across the flip-out feature of towing mirrors. I was mad that I didn't have them. Got rid of that truck, because it was an auto and it was a terrible tow vehicle. I got a 2001, and made sure it had tow mirrors. I've had 4 duallies and 2 1500s since then, and they all had the tow mirrors. Even had a GMC 1500 in the mix in there, and I installed OEM tow mirrors on that truck.

Friend of mine had a 2006 2500 with regular mirrors, and always struggled with the clip ons. I tried to convince him to swap out for the tow mirrors. He finally did, and wondered why he didn't do it sooner.

If you want, go to the dealer lot and look at each. Test drive with and without the tow mirrors. If you still aren't sure, order with the regular mirrors. If you don't like them, swap the tow mirrors on later. They aren't cheap, but worth it IMO.

The skinny convex part isn't that great, and I still put 2" round convex on lower outside corner (when down) and I have ZERO blind spots on either side.

RaptorHD

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 2500HD
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Auto dimming,,nifty feature to be sure but then who would need them if all those A-holes wouldn't drive around with their brights on!

AlexC2350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

I’m with youI wish there wasn’t so much hate for having them up. Ford and Chevy mirrors are up all the time they just slide in and out. The tow mirrors down are really terrible. So to OP if you don’t plan on towing an enclosed trailer or TT don’t bother with tow mirrors they suck. You can’t see anything out of the passenger side with it down.

Dalton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 TD

Two questions:

The standard mirrors are fine for a motorcycle or open car hauler. However if you get a full 102" wide enclosed trailer you cannot see the sides or tires without trailer mirrors.