Towing with 2022 etorque v6 bighorn

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brandonb028

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 etorque
I purchased a 2022 bighorn v6. Love the truck hate the pulling trailer with it. As I’ve been told and read up in these trucks run at a high rpm. I was told the tow load is 4850,7850, and 6850. So not sure who to believe. Not the less I’m well below any of those anyways. I have a 7x18 landscape trailer that pulled fine with the 2010 2500 I had. Conserving getting a smaller 7x14 tandem trailer but not sure how much of a difference that will really help. Sometimes runs 4000+ rpm in second gear going to third with an empty trailer. Trailer weights about 2100lbs empty. Doesn’t want to come out of 5th gear doing 70mph either. I’d like to haul a 1500 sxs too. I know the high rpm’s is normal but full consumption sucks. Is there anything to do to these so they don’t run so high and drink the $4 a gallon soda it likes.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I purchased a 2022 bighorn v6. Love the truck hate the pulling trailer with it. As I’ve been told and read up in these trucks run at a high rpm. I was told the tow load is 4850,7850, and 6850. So not sure who to believe. Not the less I’m well below any of those anyways. I have a 7x18 landscape trailer that pulled fine with the 2010 2500 I had. Conserving getting a smaller 7x14 tandem trailer but not sure how much of a difference that will really help. Sometimes runs 4000+ rpm in second gear going to third with an empty trailer. Trailer weights about 2100lbs empty. Doesn’t want to come out of 5th gear doing 70mph either. I’d like to haul a 1500 sxs too. I know the high rpm’s is normal but full consumption sucks. Is there anything to do to these so they don’t run so high and drink the $4 a gallon soda it likes.

What gears does it have?

Also if you want to check the payload/towing here's a website you can do so with your vin:

Or that information should also be on your door jamb sticker.

Sorry I can't help otherwise, hardly ever tow and have never had the v6.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Tow load depends on if you have a 4x4 or 4x2 truck, Quad or regular cab, gearing etc....

OP
OP
B

Brandonb028

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 etorque
It’s the 8 speed but not sure off hand what gears it has it is 4x4 quad cab

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
@Brandonb028 the high RPMs and transmission staying in lower gears is due in part the your 3.21 axle gearing and the 3.6 torque peak is 269 ft/lbs @ 4500 RPMs. In comparison my EcoDiesel is 420 ft/lbs @ 2K rpms, my trans would stay in 7 or 8 and turn in the low 2K rpms pulling your trailer depending on speed.
It's not so much the weight that kills the fuel economy when towing as aerodynamics does. If your landscape trailer has a load ramp tailgate, that's what's probably hurting you more than anything. Both the 24' enclosed car hauler (empty) and boat I pull weight just above 3K lbs but the car hauler eats up about an extra 4 mpg compared to the boat. When I load up the car hauler it only eats up an extra 1-2 mpg with the weight more than doubling.

OP
OP
B

Brandonb028

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 etorque
@crash68 I’m looking at getting a smaller landscape traile 7x14 or so with a gate. Do you suggest a car hauler instead with just ramps or tilt? I found one like that, that weights 1200. Just trying to see what’s going to be best for me fuel wise. Thanks for all the help too. Is there any mods to do to these trucks to get better pulling fuel mileage or no. Thanks again.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
@Brandonb028 if your looking at just towing a SxS then just a plain flatbed trailer will probably be the most fuel efficient. You can always mount a locking toolbox for secure storage.
If you want to have enclosed trailer look at something with a V-nose and try to keep the overall height down.
As with towing any trailer keep the speed down for fuel economy and safety.