Help with towing. New to owning a dodge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
quick question and not meant to open a can of worms !!! 2019 1500 5.7 hemi 8sp 4x4 crew 5.7 box with factory Trailer brake 3:21 rear gear GVW 6900 Lbs with aftermarket I am looking at air bags added in rear coils ! I am looking at a TT 32 foot long 6283 Lbs dry with WDH as well will i be able to safely tow this trailer?
You won't be happy. It will be a white-knuckle drive everywhere you go.

chaosh1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
quick question and not meant to open a can of worms !!! 2019 1500 5.7 hemi 8sp 4x4 crew 5.7 box with factory Trailer brake 3:21 rear gear GVW 6900 Lbs with aftermarket I am looking at air bags added in rear coils ! I am looking at a TT 32 foot long 6283 Lbs dry with WDH as well will i be able to safely tow this trailer?

Can you? yes people do it all the time.. Should you? well I wouldn't. That's pretty long for the 1500.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I use cruise control frequently, probably most of the time, when towing. I don't see a reason why not to. I don't pull many big grades though.

I don't think I'd use ADAPTIVE cruise control though - I don't know if it is smart enough to recognize that you don't want to get as close to the person in front of you with a trailer behind you.
exactly, unfortunately there's usually a bunch of pushback when towing and cruise control are mentioned in the same sentence. Gone are the days of unintelligent cruise control.
Adaptive cruise would probably cause some pucker factor when it decides to hit the brakes for a ghost vehicle.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I am looking at a TT 32 foot long 6283 Lbs dry with WDH as well will i be able to safely tow this trailer?
A lot of attention to how all the weight is loaded into the trailer, and onto the truck, along with tuning the WDH can make it tow smooth. You definitely won't just be hooking up and running down the road.
That's a long trailer for most trucks, considering it more like 36' overall. There's probably more length between the trailer hitch and axles than the tow vehicle is long, that's a lot of leverage to deal with especially if the truck has the short WB.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD

Will you be able to? That depends on your abilities as a driver. Will the truck do it? Yes but I wouldn't, that's a lot of trailer for that truck, especially considering you gave its DRY weight - once you're loaded up for a trip you're going to be looking at more weight than that, depending on what you take and what the GVW of the trailer looks like. Between the 3.21's and the length of that trailer you're likely going to have your hands full - it won't take off very well, and a trailer that long is going to catch a LOT of crosswinds and blow by, and is going to want to push you around a LOT.

As others have said, you're going to NEED a WDH with sway control. IF you add airbags (personally I wouldn't, they can mask a lot of issues), make sure you look into how to properly set up your rig with them. You won't be winning any races, so take it easy and set your speed lower, and watch out for everyone else on the road - never know when one of them is going to do something foolish.

Capt Derek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO Diesel
I recently purchased a 2020 dodge ram tradesman 6.4 hemi with a gas engine. The reason I purchased this vehicle was to tow an 8000 lb travel trailer. My trips will be from California to Montana twice a year. As I have never owned a Dodge truck, I’m new to the electronics in gear ratios. This specific truck has a thing called gear limit on the steering wheel and negative and a positive. What should that be in when I am towing this vehicle? even though it’s a 2500 it still feels kind of hard or slow on pulling.what is typical RPM and speed should I be in for flat highways and then what should it look like going up the hill to Reno from Sacramento on those grades? Where should I be with RPM and speed? Do I need to adjust the gear limiter as I drive?
You are definitely new as there are no "Dodge" Rams, Ram is the brand.

Jim BB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
A lot of attention to how all the weight is loaded into the trailer, and onto the truck, along with tuning the WDH can make it tow smooth. You definitely won't just be hooking up and running down the road.
That's a long trailer for most trucks, considering it more like 36' overall. There's probably more length between the trailer hitch and axles than the tow vehicle is long, that's a lot of leverage to deal with especially if the truck has the short WB.
32' is with tongue incld so about 26 to 28' without tongue 32' from very nose of tongue to rear bumper

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I used to have front and rear plows on my truck

Ain't nobody ever dumb enough to cut in front of that, or try to tailgate me iether

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
In my opinion, no, you don't have enough truck for that trailer.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
32' is with tongue incld so about 26 to 28' without tongue 32' from very nose of tongue to rear bumper

That's still a LOT of trailer, and I still contend that your truck, with 3.21 gears, isn't going to be happy with it. Again, it'll likely do it, but I highly recommend that if you're going to do it, get your WDH and sway control set up properly and don't get in a hurry.

DRam2019

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Like others said just put it in tow/haul, but I will add….. yes you need a weight distributing hitch ( personally a fan of blue ox) no you don’t want air bags, yes you should try to keep tanks empty if possible, and above all else keep your mirrors flipped down when not towing !

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh Oh, you really did it now.

Jim BB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
thank you all for the input !!!!

nickheaps819

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m towing a VIBe26RK with the same setup. I’ve got inspiring airbags in right now and moving over to full airbags but she tows great. Make sure you’ve got the WDH set up correctly and upgraded brakes. I’ve put in slotted and drilled rotors with upgraded pads. I monitor the temps of oil, trans, and water constantly and they only go above normal by about 20 degrees on the trip through the western states in December. I use a swaypro WDH with 1200lb bars. Love this setup. Easy to adjust and install.

AlexC2350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My Dad is pulling that size trailer with same truck just a 22. He’s pulled that trailer all over New Englan with the truck and a 15 Durango RT for a few years before the truck. You have to watch what and how you load it.

Jim BB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I’m towing a VIBe26RK with the same setup. I’ve got inspiring airbags in right now and moving over to full airbags but she tows great. Make sure you’ve got the WDH set up correctly and upgraded brakes. I’ve put in slotted and drilled rotors with upgraded pads. I monitor the temps of oil, trans, and water constantly and they only go above normal by about 20 degrees on the trip through the western states in December. I use a swaypro WDH with 1200lb bars. Love this setup. Easy to adjust and install.
already upgraded brakes to slotted cross drilled with upgraded ceramic pads ! and i have air bags in springs ! i loaded my Brother in-laws TT 32' 7500 Lbs dry but it had food and clothing ect ! with 2 full 20Lbs propane and Battery on it ! it only squatted the back of the truck about A 1.5 inch with out WDH and yes I know I need WHD !!! I had 15LBS of air in bags !
that is why i was looking at a 32' TT that weighs less than his dry !
Thank you everyone for your input :)

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Or Alabama. They look for the most dangerous thing they can find. I swear having anything attached to or pulled behind a big truck is like a salt lick for cattle.

Jim BB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Or Alabama. They look for the most dangerous thing they can find. I swear having anything attached to or pulled behind a big truck is like a salt lick for cattle.
lol funny you say that I did live in Huntsville AL for about 6 years! so I know exactly what you are saying !

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
lol funny you say that I did live in Huntsville AL for about 6 years! so I know exactly what you are saying !
Brother if you thought it was bad then, you should see it now. We've doubled in size in the past 3-4 years and construction is everywhere. We're adding another 16k apartments right now with another 12k in planning, and close to (if not more) that many homes. The roads haven't really changed. It is challenging to tow much of anything with the congestion that's everywhere. Seems like it's a rite of passage to cut off at least one big truck a day.

My 2012 Ram 2500 got cut off by a guy in a Tahoe a few years back. Needless to say I totaled his Tahoe (bent his frame like a U) and drove the ole Ram home.