Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Imprtkllrz28

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I’m looking into an electric fan conversion but plan to tow maybe once a month a toyhauler with rzr about 8-9000 pounds. Has anyone had any overheating issues? I live In SoCal so it gets hot and have some grades to pull. Also can alfaobd adjust the temp the fan turns on at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Are you referring to the V6 electric fan conversion?

If you are doing that, then you would have to set the temperature for when the electric fan comes on. I think that AlfaOBD can let you set fan temps.

Another thing to consider is getting a lower temp thermostat too.

OP
OP
Imprtkllrz28

Imprtkllrz28

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are you referring to the V6 electric fan conversion?

If you are doing that, then you would have to set the temperature for when the electric fan comes on. I think that AlfaOBD can let you set fan temps.

Another thing to consider is getting a lower temp thermostat too.

Yes that’s what I’m looking to do

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
You'll need to program it, and as stated it'd be worth getting a lower temp thermostat.

One thing to consider is does the electric fan move as much air as the mechanical one? I don't know, but it'd be worth researching.

What you're looking at doing is very common for racers - you're freeing up horsepower, and generally speaking electric accessories actually can help decrease heat, since the motor doesn't have to waste energy turning those pumps.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I’m looking into an electric fan conversion but plan to tow maybe once a month a toyhauler with rzr about 8-9000 pounds. Has anyone had any overheating issues? I live In SoCal so it gets hot and have some grades to pull. Also can alfaobd adjust the temp the fan turns on at?

What are you looking to gain? You can do it but there are no gains to be had in all honesty and the temps will stay much more stable with both fans vs. just electric - well unless you run the electric almost constantly.

I don't think alphaobd can change fan temps, for that you would need a PCM and tune - which can/will void your warranty on several parts.
I may be wrong on the alpha thing, but I don't think so.

OP
OP
Imprtkllrz28

Imprtkllrz28

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What are you looking to gain? You can do it but there are no gains to be had in all honesty and the temps will stay much more stable with both fans vs. just electric - well unless you run the electric almost constantly.

I don't think alphaobd can change fan temps, for that you would need a PCM and tune - which can/will void your warranty on several parts.
I may be wrong on the alpha thing, but I don't think so.

Just wanted the benefits of having an e fan when not towing.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There really aren't any gains.
Well there is a bit less noise on start up and the few seconds the clutch fan engages when at a stop in hot weather.
You won't notice any power or mpg increase in normal driving.
Maybe a tad more on the top end when racing - if you do that.

Don't believe me, just pull off the clutch fan and drive around - the stock electric fan will keep you cool under most all conditions if you have the honeycomb grille - even towing for the most part.
I have towed my boat (5000 lbs or so) from Pittsburgh to the Florida Keys with just the stock electric fan in July/August and never overheated. The electric fan will kick on with the AC or if your coolant temps get to 220 degrees or so - perfectly safe.

Under the vast majority of conditions and time, the clutch fan just freewheels.

Last edited:

Gero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd personally leave it alone unless you need the room for some crazy custom intercooler or supercharger.

I dont think there's ever been any direct and provable dyno gains or 1/4mile from this mod. All the big dog 1tons have clutch fans.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeanD