Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mikc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Good day all, new guy here and hoping for a little real world towing experience for my 2016 Ram Limited with a Hemi. It does have the tow tackage. From what I see it can handle around 10k. My question is I am looking at a travel trailer GVWR max at 7k. Does anyone tow a trailer in this range. If so how well does it maintain speed on the highway. Can it maintain 65 mph on most normal interstates with noraml hills? I think GPM will probaly be around 7-8?
I am approaching retirement and the wife and I want to short haul travel in our region. My appreciation for any input.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Delete

Last edited:

GrumpyOleMan

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Look at the drivers door. That will have the actual towing capacities for your truck, as delivered from the factory. I've seen upper end trucks with a payload of 900 pounds.

If new to towing, learn a few phrases. Start here - https://rvlife.com/guide-to-towing-a-travel-trailer/
/\/\/\ This. With your truck being a Limited, it is on the heavy end of the spectrum before you put anything in the cab, bed or on the receiver. My '19 Limited has a payload of 1280 (per the sticker referenced above). A little diligence (research) will pay off big time in the long run if you know what your true weight limits are. That being said, I have a tow rating of just over 8k since my truck has the 3.21 rear end and I tow a travel trailer just over 7k with no problems. A good Weight Distribution Hitch is a must at that weight. I have seen MPG between 8 and 13 towing but to be honest, the 13 was with a stiff tail wind, I usually see 8 to 10 putting along at 65.

rmill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
most important number to know, not guess, is the tongue weight of trailer with batteries and full propane tanks as that will cut into your payload (gvwr) big time.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab

Instead of guessing, look it up.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel
At a ~12% tongue weight your trailer's tongue will be 840#. That is the capacity you are using. The rest of your capacity is for passengers and gear.

RafaMexico

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2021 Hemi Sport Classic, 4th gen like yours, lists 5135KG on the build sheet for towing capacity. About 11K lbs. 3.92 rear axle, air bags on back and HD coils, WD hitch a must. Squat measures 1" from unloaded height. 5.7 engine, 8 spd transmission. Tow from AZ to Eastern WA every summer and back. This trailer is 29 feet, 5850 dry weight, 7200 wet. Will do 65 all day except on the steeper hills, then I let it drift down to 50's. Stable like a bullet even in sidewind. Mileage is around 11 to 13 depending on headwinds, (on the dash calculator).

Last edited:

HighDesertRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Diesel
+1 on the weight distributing hitch. I used to tow a 7500 pound boat without one and it always scared the heck out of me. Now I tow a 10,000 pound trailer, admittedly with a diesel, and the weight distributing hitch is the only way I would ever tow from here on out. Makes all the difference in the world.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If the truck is factory rated to tow 10k than it should have no issues towing 7k. I wouldn't suspect it would have any issues maintaining 65 mph under most conditions.

09SilverRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2021 Hemi Sport Classic, 4th gen like yours, lists 550KG on the door post for towing capacity. About 11K lbs. 3.91 rear axle, air bags on back and HD coils, WD hitch a must. Squat measures 1" from unloaded height. 5.7 engine, 8 spd transmission. Tow from AZ to Eastern WA every summer and back. This trailer is 29 feet, 5850 dry weight, 7200 wet. Will do 65 all day except on the steeper hills, then I let it drift down to 50's. Stable like a bullet even in sidewind. Mileage is around 11 to 13 depending on headwinds, (on the dash calculator).
550KG is you payload (1200 pounds), not the towing capacity. Although unless you are towing a boat you will max out payload with an RV before towing capacity.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
550KG is you payload (1200 pounds), not the towing capacity. Although unless you are towing a boat you will max out payload with an RV before towing capacity.

X2 - OP asked about towing (pulling) power but the limiting factor with half-tons is almost always payload (carrying). Truck manufacturers are borderline fraudulent with their advertising when they splash big towing (pulling) numbers. The fine print is that number can only be achieved with nothing but a driver and maybe a cup of coffee inside the truck and bed.

09SilverRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good day all, new guy here and hoping for a little real world towing experience for my 2016 Ram Limited with a Hemi. It does have the tow tackage. From what I see it can handle around 10k. My question is I am looking at a travel trailer GVWR max at 7k. Does anyone tow a trailer in this range. If so how well does it maintain speed on the highway. Can it maintain 65 mph on most normal interstates with noraml hills? I think GPM will probaly be around 7-8?
I am approaching retirement and the wife and I want to short haul travel in our region. My appreciation for any input.

7k GVW for the trailer should be fine for a half ton as long as you don't have an abnormally low payload, but how long is the trailer?

Three major factors are going to drive "what truck do I need to tow this". Payload, length of the trailer in relationship to the wheelbase of the two vehicle, and the towing capacity of the two vehicle.

A lot of people move from a 1500 to a HD truck to get a heavier truck with a longer wheel base, even if they were still inside of the payload and towing capacity of the 1500.

Lainey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have a 2007 1500 4x4 with a tow rating of 10,600. I tow a 34 foot trailer trailer with a GVWR of 8600#. I rarely drive over 62 mph. Gas fuel gets around 8.9 to 10 mpg. I have no issues towing in tow mode. The truck to trailer has a anti=sway weight distribution bars. Don't see any issues with your set up.

MVinman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is the only tag I could find on my rear end. I've been reading about towing on here and all the great advice. I don't think I have the actual tow package, I just have the tow/haul button, not the brake assistance controls. I've tried decoding my VIN online, but still can't determine any additional information. So according to online research if I have 3.21 gears, I should be able to tow about 8000lbs, 10,000lbs if I have 3.92 gears. My question from the pic is if anyone can confirm that the 32180p....# means I have 3.21 gears. We plan on buying an rv in the future and I want to make sure I don't get one too big. Plus salesmen will sometimes sell you anything regardless if you should actually be towing it or not. Thanks in advance for any light someone may can shed.
20230809_201448.jpg

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
This is the only tag I could find on my rear end. I've been reading about towing on here and all the great advice. I don't think I have the actual tow package, I just have the tow/haul button, not the brake assistance controls. I've tried decoding my VIN online, but still can't determine any additional information. So according to online research if I have 3.21 gears, I should be able to tow about 8000lbs, 10,000lbs if I have 3.92 gears. My question from the pic is if anyone can confirm that the 32180p....# means I have 3.21 gears. We plan on buying an rv in the future and I want to make sure I don't get one too big. Plus salesmen will sometimes sell you anything regardless if you should actually be towing it or not. Thanks in advance for any light someone may can shed.
View attachment 526299

With your VIN you can look up the build sheet it list every thing in your truck...

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
View attachment 526299
Do you have the 2 stickers on your door jamb? Those will have that data you need. You should sée one that has payload capacity, but what is more important is what your truck actually weighs on a trip (without the trailer attached) to help find how heavy of a trailer you can actually tow.

Load the truck (gas, people, gear, hitch, etc., just as if you were heading in a trip) and go to a CAT scale for a weight ticket. That will tell everything you really need to know.

For example, if your truck has a max GVWR of 8,000 pounds and your fully loaded truck is 6,800 then your maximum payload capacity for tongue weight is 1,200 pounds. Then, assuming the tongue weight of your trailer is exactly 1,200 pounds (your available remaining payload capacity) and assuming this is the 15% average of tongue weight to the total trailer weight, the math of the maximum trailer you could tow would be 1,200 / .15 = 8,000 pound trailer. Even if you find your truck is "rated" for 10,000 pounds, payload capacity of 1500s almost always ensure you will never tow that maximum.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thoffmann517