Toyota pickups do last longer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Never owned a Toyota so can't bash them but I have had 4 Rams with very minimal issues at all.

1985 D150 with over 100,000 miles. Had it about 2 years. Blew a rad hose

2007 1500 4.7. Bought new and traded with 47,000 miles. Had front rotors replaced at 12,000 miles under warranty. Tie rod ends were also replaced under warranty.

2013 1500. Bought with 4000 miles and traded with 67,000. Nothing ever replaced on it except wearable items but had the bedside replaced under warranty due to rust bubbles with just under 50,000 miles on it.

2018 2500. Bought with 8000 miles. Now just under 19,000 miles. Touch screen acted up and GPS was way off. Replaced under warranty

Now Ford:

1990 F150 302. Burned a quart of oil every 800 miles and got 9 MPG. Rebuilt engine at 45,000 miles under warranty. Used a quart every 1000 miles then so really no change. Rear end making noise and found lash was set wrong from the factory but all they would do is reset the lash which isn't a fix once pattern is worn in gears. Traded in with just under 50,000 miles.

1992 F150 302. Not much trouble with this one.

1991 F250 351. Not much trouble with this one

1994 F250 460. Junk. 4x4 quit working a few days later since they used plastic auto locking hubs. I replaced those with manual lockouts. Stereo quit working about a week after I got it. Truck wouldn't start if it sat for 2 days. Took it in 3 times and even took it to a local auto electric shop. Nothing found. Went through 3 batteries. Took it to Nags Head (about 800 miles one way). Went through 6 quarts of oil. Traded it in when I got back with about 40,000 miles on it.

1996 Windstar mini van. Bought new. 62,000 miles head gasket blew. Warranty ran out at 60,000. Engine replaced and no more Fords for me

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Last longer?
Seems nobody remembers horrible frame rust issue Toyota had for years with their pickups, Was not uncommon for trucks to break in half driving down the road. :eek:

For sure on that. I haven't looked in some time, but the local Yota dealer used to have stacks of replacement frames behind the dealership. A neighbor of mine is a Toyota master tech. Has been a Toyota tech for the same dealer network for about 20yrs. Interesting fella to talk with. He told me they had special made jigs to set the truck bodies on, that would allow them to quickly and efficiently swap frames and ALL the hardware in a matter of an hour or two. They had it down to a science.

It was impressive how Toyota stepped up to the plate on that one. They replaced frames on some old high mileage trucks at zero cost to the customer. Try that one with FCA.

I have no personal experience with Toyota having never owned one. I've maintained a few for my folks (mom is 81, dad passed away years ago). Mom currently has a 2015 Camry LE that's still original everything, but it's only got 38K miles on it. All I've done is oil changes for her and replace the FOB batteries (2 weeks ago).

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
Mom currently has a 2015 Camry LE that's still original everything, but it's only got 38K miles on it.

Similarly, my dad had a Camry for a few years. Loved it, but the "new fangled" Saturn (sedan) came out so he traded in the Camry and got the Saturn. In 6 months it was in the shop for at least two of them, and it stranded him on the side of the road twice so he dumped it and got another Camry. They're pretty good cars. My Mom has had a Toyota to drive since 2003. (Highlander, the Tacoma I own now that I bought from her and now she's in a Rav4). She's in her late 80's and it's important to have a reliable vehicle with a low probability of her getting stranded somewhere and it's hard to argue that Toy's are just that.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
I OWNED THREE TOYOTA TRUCKS
an 86 a 99 and a 09

I WORKED FOR A TOYOTA DEALERSHIP
they have zero customer loyalty
parts are obsolete status in less than 5 years But they make millions of trucks and other vehicles that share similar parts along with other Japanese auto makers Used parts are available

THEIR ENGINE TECHNOLOGY SUCKS
the last truck I bought from them held it’s value pretty well because the history of brand reliably but the new technology is engineered to obsolesce My engine block was all aluminum but it was sleeved the sleeves couldn’t be replaced because of a designed flaw with Pinnacles in the aluminum casting of the cylinder bores
to hold the iron sleeves in place

I STOPPED BUYING TOYOTA TRUCKS
because they just weren’t as dependable anymore I saw 23 recalls on my 09 and some of the similar models of SUV’s with the same exact problems were left to grovel in the dark without the recalls because fewer owners of those vehicle models were available or knew enough to network their problems to complain.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Last longer?
Seems nobody remembers horrible frame rust issue Toyota had for years with their pickups, Was not uncommon for trucks to break in half driving down the road. :eek:
TOYOTA WAS FORCED INTO BUY BACK IF YOU HAD THE MODEL RANGE SPECIFIC TO THE BUY BACK YOU WERE GUARANTEED 10,000 on a trade in or cash rust was horrible on my 99 it was like it had been painted with water base paint and then dipped in saltwater

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
As far as the "Toyotas are outdated, simpler technology" argument is concerned, it's not based in reality. In 1982, Toyota put out a fuel injected 22RE in their small trucks. That's a fuel injected overhead cam engine. Ford got around to this in 1990, Chevy brought over a SOHC engine from Isuzu around 1985, and Dodge similarly in 1995. Who is copying who?

MY 86 TOYOTA TRUCK
I bought new is was the first year of the independent front axel and the last year you could order the 22r with at conventional throttle body at the time

DAIMLER TRUCKS
https://media.daimler.com/marsMedia...-the-OB-2-prechamber-diesel.xhtml?oid=9913723
Trucks have been using Diesel injection systems since the late 1920’s

RAMBLER
https://www.hemmings.com/stories/20...ebels-fuel-injection-the-dream-and-the-legend

CHRYSLER
https://www.allpar.com/cars/stories/fuel-injection.php
Chrysler had a 58 desoto with electronic fuel injection

GM BY 1982
GM had already been making 1976 Seville’s with electronic Bendix / Bosch fuel injection for 6 years on a 350 5.7 V8

AS FAR AS COPYING
Mitsubishi and other Japanese industries captured and copied bolt for bolt the ******* military jeep in WW2
After the reconstruction of Japan they were given contracts by Chrysler and Jeep to make them and you can still find non metric bolts for things like drain plugs on Japanese brand Heavy duty vehicles

audiowize

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 Magnum
THEIR ENGINE TECHNOLOGY SUCKS
the last truck I bought from them held it’s value pretty well because the history of brand reliably but the new technology is engineered to obsolesce My engine block was all aluminum but it was sleeved the sleeves couldn’t be replaced because of a designed flaw with Pinnacles in the aluminum casting of the cylinder bores
to hold the iron sleeves in place
Are you really going to want to re-sleeve an engine after 400,000+ miles? Nikasil works when properly applied. The 4Runner I have has a sleeved aluminum block with sleeves that can't be replaced. There are used pulls available all day long, and the price looks to be about $2,000. The fact of the matter is that the engines fail more slowly than people are totaling these cars. The same goes for the transmission, I can buy a working pull for less than $500 because the supply from wrecks exceeds the demand from failures.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Are you really going to want to re-sleeve an engine after 400,000+ miles?

That was my thoughts on that as well. There's so many aluminum blocked engines out there today.. I don't think I've ever heard of one being, or needing to be re-sleeved? Worst case scenario, the whole engine is replaced.

audiowize

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 Magnum
My boss actually just paid for resleeving an old Honda motorcycle engine, but it's just an iron sleeve in an aluminum block. I tried to talk him into nikasil plating but I'm not sure he opted for that. My experience with these bores is that they tend to wear out the rings very slowly over time, so refreshing an engine may ultimately be a matter of fitting fresh rings and continuing to use what's there.

davesrubyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm no Toyota fan.

I bought an 07 Tundra used..88k miles.

Toyota had a tsb on emission air pumps that would fail sure to water intrusion. The did extend the warranty on them as a response. The things were several thousand dollars to replace and wet placed under the left fender liner area where there were very likely to get wet.. especially in a 4x4 truck.

My truck was fine until the rear axle started making nose. This was around 120k or 150k miles. Was told it shouldn't be repaired and needed a replacement - around $1500-$2000. A little more than a year goes by any there replacement started making noise. Another approximately $3000.

A bit more than a year goes by and the trans started acting up and the rear end starts making noise again.. Only solution is to replace trans or rebuild - $5k to 7k for trans. By this time the truck had over 200k miles and was 12 years old.

So that replaced the rear end said it was a common repair.

Research told me that the rear end issue was known by toyota and cured in later models.

Truth is, all new or used vehicle purchases are a crap shoot. Sometimes you get a good one sometimes not. They all have known and unknown issues. Sometimes the mfg will take care of the issues, sometimes not. Not saying it should be that way, it just is.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Did Toyota need to place a defeatist technology into it’s manufactured production ? (the v6 was actually designed by Suzuki) Probably but that’s the nature of the Japanese market
And it doesn’t need to be but that’s what’s starting to show

I like cooking my own steak and tying my own shoes I appreciate products more than ever now that are made in the USA

You’ll probably see me crying on the forums sometime in the future about a Chinese sourced part in the fuel system or how I have to buy aftermarket bearings for my crank but I don’t want to wait for some special order only available from Japan part that they don’t even make anymore and have someone Suggest “Just replace the whole thing”

Used Parts are fine for somebody else’s truck just not mine.

But again I’ll rescind that statement regarding transmissions and buy a used one over a rebuilt one the same with electronics like ECU’s

I’m not a diehard purest but I’m not a
Japanophile either anymore.

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Yeah, but it towed the Space Shuttle.....

View attachment 225122

Pretty much any vehicle can tow anything big as long as it has wheels.

I watched a guy tow a 747 with a ****** economy car on youtube, think it was something from top gear, really can’t remember.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pretty much any vehicle can tow anything big as long as it has wheels.

I watched a guy tow a 747 with a ****** economy car on youtube, think it was something from top gear, really can’t remember.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, they did that on Top Gear, love that show!!!

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Toyota can tow a Space Shuttle but can't haul this...… come on man!!!!

View attachment 225146

Dang man! Did you have to do that? That image is going to be burned into my mind now for awhile and hard to get out...hahahahahah lol! Too funny!

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
I had a 2003 Toyota 4Runner. It was a real nice 4x4 and towed our boat and camper really well. We bought it to be the primary tow vehicle, but we still owned our '94 Jeep, which had close to 200,000 miles. At about 35,000 miles the 4Runner transmission blew. Toyota installed a new one, which also died. Then the catalytic converter. Turned out the car's computer was the real problem. The car spent a total of two months in Toyota dealership hell while they tried to figure out what was going on. After the catalyst was replaced, I drove it straight off the lot, down the street into a Chrysler dealer. Traded it for a 2005 Durango with a Hemi V8. Problem solved.

Two years later, my wife wants a convertible. Our '94 Jeep Cherokee is still working fine, but it now has 200,000 miles and she's tired of it. I want the Mustang but she falls in love with a 2008 Toyota Solara Convertible. Having not learned our lesson the first time, we bought the Toy. What a couple of idiots. Not more than 2 years go by and it's me who is left on the side of the road with another Toyota with a crapped out electronically controlled transmission. 360 miles from home. I was so pissssed that I immediatly called Toyota to get them to pay for the rental, the hotel, the new transmission. They did pay up eventually.

When it came time to upgrade from my little Frontier, do you think I even test drove a Tundra or the Tacoma?

bobeast

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 2017
Engine
Hemi 6.4, 5.7
I had a tundra for several years and sold it at 100k miles. Never gave me a moment's trouble. Bought a Prius new, and sold it after 150k trouble free miles. Say what you will about Toyotas but they are nothing if not reliable. Sure there are some who have not had such luck. So it goes with any brand. I moved into a Ram, because the technology in the tundra was dated even when it was new and was nowhere near as comfortable as my Ram.

And yes, they actually did tow the Space Shuttle with one. Mine only had to tow two horses, but it did just fine.

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
As noted above, I've had two Toys with major problems. Toyota is no better than anyone else. As product cycles have speeded up, they have taken more risk. What is interesting to me is the Consumer Reports data on reliability and owner satisfaction for full size 2020 and 21 trucks. The 2020 Toyota Tundra is the most reliable. But that's the only thing that's good about it. It gets a horrible review. It sucks gas, it rides like crap. Its dated inside.

Guess which truck comes in second in reliability and best overall: Its the 2020 Ram 1500 Classic. It also ranks second on the road test to only the newbody Ram 1500. By CR's criteria the Ram Classic 1500 is the best overall truck on the market. The bad news: the newbody Ram 1500 is one of the least reliable, and as a result its overall score is lower (in the middle of the pack). Otherwise the new body Ram 1500 gets a fantastic review, the ecodiesel especially so. It's the highest scoring full size truck on their road test that they've ever had. FYI: Both Chevy and Ford scores worse.

So, even Consumer Reports thinks the new Toyota Tundra is hard to live with, despite its supposedly high reliability. And given my own experience with Toys, I am kind of skeptical of their reliability. So I bought a newbody Ram 1500.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joey93