Toyota pickups do last longer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Check out this post of a person with a 2000 Tundra with 400,000 miles on the odometer. To be considered worthy of being in the high mileage club with a Toyota one needs to have driven it for at least 300,000 miles.

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
There is a local yota dealer bought one back from original owner with 750k. Last longer sure (so does plastic ****). But just as most women prefer a real D I'll stick with a real truck.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6920 using Tapatalk

bigdodge

Reaction score
Pretty sure we have a member who retired his truck at about 450k. Still drives it but doesn't haul with it anymore.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is a local yota dealer bought one back from original owner with 750k. Last longer sure (so does plastic ****). But just as most women prefer a real D I'll stick with a real truck.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6920 using Tapatalk

Hell ya, wait?................what? :think:

:lol:

Plankton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This was good marketing for the brand some years back:

I do realize there's a bit of sensationalizing and post editing, but after watching that episode years ago, I had a lot of respect for...

...that mechanic. lol

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Long life is somewhat important; I mean it has to last at least 10 to 15 years for me (which Ram's can do without issue).

So given you drive the truck for years and years, and pretty much live in the thing to rack up that kind of mileage, I also want my truck to be comfortable, have update to date features, somewhat luxurious, good gas mileage, cheap to fix, and look like a truck instead of some girly goofy car lifted straight from scooby doo.

In other words, I'd rather drive a truck I love, rather than one that gets me by a little longer but fails to be competitive in every other metric.

I have nothing against Toyota, but they have ceased to have a competitive offering in this space for the last 8 to 10 years. When they come out with a redesign, and if I'm in the market at that point, I would probably give them a look.

NH RAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Tradesman 2500 Snow Chief
Engine
I have no desires to drive one for 4k miles, let alone 400,000 miles. I think that 2000 Toyota Tundra had the same tech as the 1978 Volvo 240 beater I drove in high school ;)
4 guys at my work had Toyota's (2 Tundras and 2 Tacos). One Tundra and one Taco converted to Ram 1500's this year. The second Tundra is going to probably be a Silverado very soon.

JWExperience

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Had my tundra for several trouble free years and traded it in at 8 years old for $18,5000.
I had manifold bolts break, window track break, two sets of rear brakes and one set of front brakes on the ram with 35k less miles(44k) and 4 years less time of ownership. Paint quality is garbage too, had to fix a couple spots on my ram and had zero flaws on my Tundra. Trade in last I checked on my ram was $20,000 and it has way more options than my Tundra. Only complaint with my tundra was gas mileage which is why I tried the ram, also liked the tech and ride but neither makes a difference if I can’t drive the thing. Good thing I got a work car recently so I can leave the ram in the garage more and feel like I’m getting my time in with a paid off vehicle before I have to trade it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SOKY_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have owned several Toyota's over the years. Every one I had was extremely reliable and left me with no major complaints. I switched to Ram when I started looking at buying a new Tacoma. Just didn't make sense to spend almost 40k on a compact truck when I could get a full size with a Hemi for less. Just looked at the local dealer and they have a new tacoma with an MSRP of 45k. Nuts!!!!

NH RAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had manifold bolts break, window track break, two sets of rear brakes and one set of front brakes on the ram with 35k less miles(44k) and 4 years less time of ownership. Paint quality is garbage too, had to fix a couple spots on my ram and had zero flaws on my Tundra.

That's a lot of drama in 44k miles. I didn't replace any brakes on my 2016 1500 during the 72,000 miles I owned it (traded in on my current 2500). I had a water pump replaced under warranty and that was it. I plowed (Fisher HT), carried a salt spreader, and towed my camper around like a champ. Sorry your Ram isn't doing what it should.

JWExperience

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's a lot of drama in 44k miles. I didn't replace any brakes on my 2016 1500 during the 72,000 miles I owned it (traded in on my current 2500). I had a water pump replaced under warranty and that was it. I plowed (Fisher HT), carried a salt spreader, and towed my camper around like a champ. Sorry your Ram isn't doing what it should.

Appreciate it. I tow a 6k lb boat once or twice a week in the summer but other than that I drive a decent amount of highway to work. No plowing or hauling otherwise. I have a heavy foot on the highway but not in stop and go traffic so I purposely don’t beat my brakes. Luckily I do all the repairs myself to save money.

NH RAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Appreciate it. I tow a 6k lb boat once or twice a week in the summer but other than that I drive a decent amount of highway to work. No plowing or hauling otherwise. I have a heavy foot on the highway but not in stop and go traffic so I purposely don’t beat my brakes. Luckily I do all the repairs myself to save money.

Are there issues with your trailer brake controller settings?

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, but it towed the Space Shuttle.....

View attachment 225122

Yeah, and the electric f one-fitty pulled a set of train cars....lol. I don’t know what that space shuttle weighs but you drop that yoda down into low range while being on asphalt, pulling it ain’t all that difficult so it’s no big feat.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, and the electric f one-fitty pulled a set of train cars....lol. I don’t know what that space shuttle weighs but you drop that yoda down into low range while being on asphalt, pulling it ain’t all that difficult so it’s no big feat.

Toyota can tow a Space Shuttle but can't haul this...… come on man!!!!

svq5g.jpg

Firetruck41

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 Mega Cab Hemi 5.7
Check out this post of a person with a 2000 Tundra with 400,000 miles on the odometer. To be considered worthy of being in the high mileage club with a Toyota one needs to have driven it for at least 300,000 miles.
Are you supposed to be quoting another post? Is there a missing link?

The title of the post is not at all addressed in the content of the post, that I can see. Toyota's last longer than what?

I have loved my high mileage Toyota trucks. I've got no complaints about them. My Ram has 186k and other than some brake and suspension work after I got it last year, seems to be doing OK. I have no need to bash one over the other.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I think Toyota puts a lot of time and effort into making sure their powertrains last a long time. They sacrifice fuel economy for longevity. The problem is, Toyotas rust out just as quick as anything else if you live in the rust belt.

In the early 2000s my FIL's company switched from Chevys to Tundras and Tacomas for fleet vehicles. The only complaints were high purchase cost for the amount of truck you got and terrible fuel economy. Other than that, they lasted 300K miles w/out issue. They had switched to Nissan Frontier pickups the last 6yrs or so he was there. No issues with those either.

I find Tundras nice to drive and be in. Just Toyota ugly. Tacomas I don't get. Not comfortable, small and fuel thirsty.