TPMS issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zinnmaster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Quick back story. So I bought my 2012 Ram 1500 about 4 months. It was a slightly neglected truck. But I got a heck of a deal. When I bought it the TPMS light was on and all 4 wheels show the 2 dashes on the instrument cluster. The truck had 3 different wheels and none of the tires matched. I assumed the wheels sensors were gone.

Fast forward to yesterday. Took the truck to discount tire to get 4 new tires and 4 used but matching wheels installed. I was gonna pay discount to put in new sensors for me. As we were walking the truck I asked the guy to just scan and see if any wheel sensors were working so I didnt have to buy 4 new sensors if I didnt need to. He scanned all 4 wheels and all 4 sensors are transmitting with the correct PSI and he said that they are the correct frequency for my truck.

So the truck is not reading the sensors. The TPMS light comes on. Flashes for a while then stays solid on all the time. Still has the 2 dashes on the cluster.

Where do I start the diagnose this rabbit hole I'm about to get myself into?

Thanks in advance for yalls help.

Midknight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Without going into a long story, I’ve only had the OEM sensors work for me. Everyone always claims they have the right frequency but yet it’s stated differently from various sources. Maybe slight change over the years. I’ve seen sensors advertised as one thing and then the image shows 1Hz different printed on the sensor. I gave up and just bought them from the dealer and worked first time.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
There is a TPMS receiver on the truck and if the sensors are transmitting then I expect the problem will be at the receiver end.

It could be a harness connection, a frayed wire or a bad receiver. I am not certain but I believe the receiver is behind the front fascia on the driver's side of the vehicle.

OP
OP
Zinnmaster

Zinnmaster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the info. Found the clip is broken and a 4 wires have been broken also. Looks like something smashed it or it got hit.
Seems like a stupid place to mount the module.