TR 6060 or Magnum T56 Transmission in a First Gen?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jonathanhudaon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I’m looking to throw a modern Gen 3 Hemi in my first Gen truck, basically it’s going to be a retromod street/strip type of truck. My issue is the transmission, can’t get much info on guys that have swapped in a transmission though or any write ups on it or anything. I’m interested in a manual trans for the truck, most of my info says you can got the tr 6060/ it’s aftermarket counter part the magnum T56 or the Passon Performance. A-885. Herd the A-885 has a crazy wait line and it’s more expensive. So I’m leaning toward the Tremec ones. Any help at all is much appreciated

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
So I’m looking to throw a modern Gen 3 Hemi in my first Gen truck, basically it’s going to be a retromod street/strip type of truck. My issue is the transmission, can’t get much info on guys that have swapped in a transmission though or any write ups on it or anything. I’m interested in a manual trans for the truck, most of my info says you can got the tr 6060/ it’s aftermarket counter part the magnum T56 or the Passon Performance. A-885. Herd the A-885 has a crazy wait line and it’s more expensive. So I’m leaning toward the Tremec ones. Any help at all is much appreciated

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My choice would be the T-56 Magnum. The Magnum has alot more
builder-friendly options when you are fabricating a new setup.

First is the bellhousing. The TR-6060 has an integral bellhousing that is engine family specific like one for the LS or the Viper or Gen 3 HEMI. With the T-56 Magnum you can choose from a number of different bellhousings and if you need an SFI approved bellhousing these are available too.

Second is the option of having three different shifter mounting locations. On the TR-6060 there is only one place to put the shifter. On the Magnum you have three to choose from when deciding on a shifter and its final location.

Third, the T-56 Magnum has provisions to use a mechanical speedometer or an electronic speedometer which the TR-6060 only has provisions nfor an electronic speedometer because it was designed to be used in the modern muscle era.

One of the best things about the T-56 Magnum is the multi-faceted transmission mount that can be used with common GM and Ford crossmembers and can easily adapted to work with a Dodge crossmember.

The TR-6060 is also about 40lbs. heavier than the T-56 Magnum. Also, if you were going to go with face-plated gears in the T-56 Magnum it is quite a bit cheaper to do versus the TR-6060. You can have the T-56 face-plated for about $850 and the TR-6060 is between $3,000-$3,500.

This is about all I can think of right now. If I remember anything else I'll post it for you.

OP
OP
jonathanhudaon

jonathanhudaon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My choice would be the T-56 Magnum. The Magnum has alot more
builder-friendly options when you are fabricating a new setup.

First is the bellhousing. The TR-6060 has an integral bellhousing that is engine family specific like one for the LS or the Viper or Gen 3 HEMI. With the T-56 Magnum you can choose from a number of different bellhousings and if you need an SFI approved bellhousing these are available too.

Second is the option of having three different shifter mounting locations. On the TR-6060 there is only one place to put the shifter. On the Magnum you have three to choose from when deciding on a shifter and its final location.

Third, the T-56 Magnum has provisions to use a mechanical speedometer or an electronic speedometer which the TR-6060 only has provisions nfor an electronic speedometer because it was designed to be used in the modern muscle era.

One of the best things about the T-56 Magnum is the multi-faceted transmission mount that can be used with common GM and Ford crossmembers and can easily adapted to work with a Dodge crossmember.

The TR-6060 is also about 40lbs. heavier than the T-56 Magnum. Also, if you were going to go with face-plated gears in the T-56 Magnum it is quite a bit cheaper to do versus the TR-6060. You can have the T-56 face-plated for about $850 and the TR-6060 is between $3,000-$3,500.

This is about all I can think of right now. If I remember anything else I'll post it for you.

Thanks man! Lots of great info and from everything I see here sounds like it’s hard not to go with T56. Hopefully get my hands on one used. I’m just wonder how big of a job it’s gonna be to put into one of these old trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Thanks man! Lots of great info and from everything I see here sounds like it’s hard not to go with T56. Hopefully get my hands on one used. I’m just wonder how big of a job it’s gonna be to put into one of these old trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I always recommend the T-56 Magnum for almost every single restomod style car or truck. The only time I recommend the TR-6060 is when it is going into a vehicle or engine specific application that simplifies the installation. Most of the time the T-56 is the simpler install.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963