Traction control questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eagle2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Tradesman
Engine
Hemi 5.4
Hey,

So I’m sitting at the dealership for my oil change and I spoke to the shop manager about my traction control. So this has happened to me twice since I’ve had the truck once last year and once this year. It’s a 2019 Dodge Ram 1500 with the tow package and 4x4. What happens is that I was backing out of my spot on the acreage that was very icy (both instances have been on ice) so obviously slow rate of speed in reverse. Tires are just spinning on the ice and I’m not going anywhere in 2 wheel drive. So I put my foot on the brake but here’s the thing. There’s no forward or backward motion. I’m already stopped. My foot is on the brake. But the tires won’t stop spinning. I believe the traction control is designed so that my tires don’t lock up, right? But, I need 4 when drive to continue. But the tires won’t stop! The traction control is showing on the dash. But I don’t know what to do at this point. Obviously I don’t want to put the truck into park. But even with my foot on the brake I can’t get the tires to stop spinning. I also don’t think it would be a good idea to just throw it into four wheel drive at that point either. The shop
Manager says that pushing the traction control off button wouldn’t do anything either but what I did was I turned the truck off. Which was probably just as bad an idea? I don’t really know. It gave me warning on the dash when I shut the truck off about too high a speed or whatnot. Can someone tell me what I should and should not do in this situation should it happen again? They don’t know at the dealership. Is this a malfunction? Or is the traction control doing what it’s supposed to do in that situation and I can do something to stop the tires spinning? Thanks

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
Sounds a bit strange. but who knows with the way traction control is integrated into everything these days.

If this happens again to you. just put the truck in neutral, with your foot on the brake.

Once the power is cut to the driveline the wheels WILL stop spinning..

OP
OP
E

Eagle2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Tradesman
Engine
Hemi 5.4
Sounds a bit strange. but who knows with the way traction control is integrated into everything these days.

If this happens again to you. just put the truck in neutral, with your foot on the brake.

Once the power is cut to the driveline the wheels WILL stop spinning..
Thanks! Yeah, I felt a little dumb for not thinking of that in the moment lol I’ll see if I can find some ice to try it out again.

Quint

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Big Horn 1500
Engine
5.7L v8 eTorque
Yup, throw it into neutral or 4x4. You can switch into 4x4-High or 4x4-Auto (if equipped) while on the move. It's only for 4-Low that you need to be in neutral with the wheels stopped.

I've experienced this phenomenon before as well. I just threw it into 4x4-High and took my foot off of the brake. One other experiment is that you can try turning off the Electronic Stability Control by holding down the Traction Control button for 8-10 seconds. Theoretically I'm not sure that it would help, but with how interconnected everything is it may be worth the experiment.

OP
OP
E

Eagle2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Tradesman
Engine
Hemi 5.4
Th
Yup, throw it into neutral or 4x4. You can switch into 4x4-High or 4x4-Auto (if equipped) while on the move. It's only for 4-Low that you need to be in neutral with the wheels stopped.

I've experienced this phenomenon before as well. I just threw it into 4x4-High and took my foot off of the brake. One other experiment is that you can try turning off the Electronic Stability Control by holding down the Traction Control button for 8-10 seconds. Theoretically I'm not sure that it would help, but with how interconnected everything is it may be worth the experiment.
Thanks- I actually did not know about stability control and I’ve just read up on it. Interesting to know. I don't think I’d bother to turn it off as long as turning off the traction control would help in this situation. I’d always been told not to switch to 4x4 high when accelerating which was why i wasnt sure if i could in this situation either. Whether or not that’s true advice, I don’t know. Thanks again! Im glad this has happened to someone else. The mechanics never seem to know wht I’m talking about.

marine6212

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I would have the dealership look at the rear brake pads and adjust them . There should be a 60/40 split between the front and rear brakes. At idle with back wheels off the ground you should be able to stop the rear wheels from spinning.

OP
OP
E

Eagle2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Tradesman
Engine
Hemi 5.4
I would have the dealership look at the rear brake pads and adjust them . There should be a 60/40 split between the front and rear brakes. At idle with back wheels off the ground you should be able to stop the rear wheels from spinning.
Thank-you, i’ll ask the next time I have it in. I told the mechanic that i had my foot on the brake and he told me to just push harder. ‍♀️ he had no idea I'm pretty sure.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Thank-you, i’ll ask the next time I have it in. I told the mechanic that i had my foot on the brake and he told me to just push harder. ‍
Your mechanic is either right or there is a problem with your brakes that should to be looked at.
The brakes should stop the wheels completely.

Quint

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Big Horn 1500
Engine
5.7L v8 eTorque
I’d always been told not to switch to 4x4 high when accelerating which was why i wasnt sure if i could in this situation either. Whether or not that’s true advice, I don’t know.
You can absolutely shift into 4x4 Auto or 4x4 High while moving, just not 4x4 Low.

I did learn something new from looking in my owner's manual (which is a 2021 Bighorn). Check yours since it is a Tradesman. However, it says not to shift while only one set of wheels is spinning, which sounds like it applies to your situation.

p.174 - Four Wheel Drive Operation
upload_2021-3-29_16-51-9.png

p.421 - Freeing A Stuck Vehicle
upload_2021-3-29_17-2-58.png

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
you can shift in and out of 4x anytime just not 4x low. I have had many and in the early days I was told to just take my foot off the gas when switching around, but I doubt if it makes any difference. I use 4 auto when driving in the rain or on snowy roads.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Eagle,
I don't know why your wheels keep spinning in the situations you describe.
Att is my data on Traction Control, it may help you understand the system.

Attachments

• 21a-ESC & TCS Description - JFJ.pdf
    63.6 KB · Views: 5