Trade in 2020 5.7 Hemi E Torque into Gen 3 Eco Diesel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robinson98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi E Torque
I have a 2020 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab with the 5.7 Hemi E Torque. when I bought the truck I wasn’t driving a ton of miles. I switched jobs a year ago and I am driving at least 3 to 4 days a week 150 miles round trip. I have some equity in my truck since I had a nice chunk to put down from my trade in that was nearly paid off. Thinking of trading in for the 2022 Gen 3 Eco Diesel but looking for feedback if it would actually be worth it? What kind of MPG is everyone getting on the Gen 3 Eco Diesel?

Thanks

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
I’m getting 23 mpg hand calculated in mixed (70% city / 30% highway) driving. This is more than double the 11 mpg is was getting out of my 2020 2500 with the 6.4L.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
get ready to be flamed with how much diesel cost to operate, mostly from people who've never owned one and then the financial "experts" that will guestimate that you'll never recoup the cost in fuel savings.
Most of the reported fuel economy numbers for Gen3 EcoDiesel are in the mid to high twenties. Buy it if you like how the EcoD drives. I usually tell people to buy the Hemi if they really like the fun pedal, but the EcoD will pass the Hemi while it's refueling at the gas station.

AJNY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the 21 1500 E Torque and I hate it. I had the 2018 Ram 1500 and traded it in for the 2021. Had lifter noise issues.
My friend has the Eco Diesel and he loves it. Has close to 100 k no issues. Says it has great gas mileage. I drove the truck and the power is presentable. The only thing I hate is you have to add DIF. That is a pain in the ass.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The only thing I hate is you have to add DIF. That is a pain in the ass.
Not sure why you say it's a PITA? Depending on if your driving or towing the DEF "mpg" is usually over 800 miles, more like 1000. The DEF tank on the DT bodies is 5 gallons so there is at least a 4000 mile range, you'll have stopped at the gas station at least 4 times. The filler is in the fuel door and is simple as adding windshield wiper fluid, even easier if you go to a DEF pump.

AJNY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not sure why you say it's a PITA? Depending on if your driving or towing the DEF "mpg" is usually over 800 miles, more like 1000. The DEF tank on the DT bodies is 5 gallons so there is at least a 4000 mile range, you'll have stopped at the gas station at least 4 times. The filler is in the fuel door and is simple as adding windshield wiper fluid, even easier if you go to a DEF pump.
I drove diesel trucks for 50 years. Over the road and heavy duty tow trucks. I can’t stand the DIF concept. It’s just nonsense to me.

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
12.5k on my 2021 EcoDiesel and zero issues. If you can find one for a reasonable price, go for it.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
the trick would be finding one. I dont see but a few on the lots here in DFW area and I have only seen one 4x4 but it has 3.21 rear end. If i bought one I would want 4x4 3.92 gears and 33 gal tank..like I have now.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
12.5k on my 2021 EcoDiesel and zero issues. If you can find one for a reasonable price, go for it.
Where in North Texas did you find yours? Currently thinking about upgrading. I am driving a lot of miles as well and would like to see better then 14-15 mpg. After watching a few videos of exhaust changes etc, I am really considering it. I have checked automation, grapevine dodge, and Don Davis. I prefer grapevine dodge, but they have almost nothing on the lot.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
the trick would be finding one. I dont see but a few on the lots here in DFW area and I have only seen one 4x4 but it has 3.21 rear end. If i bought one I would want 4x4 3.92 gears and 33 gal tank..like I have now.
My exact current issue. Nothing. The Lonestar editions with a V6 are going for 50-55k...

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
I found mine at Dodge City in McKinney. These are hard to find lately.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
how do you like it so far. do you tow anything with it.

Tuflehundon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Don't have one yet, researching before purchase
Engine
Don't have one yet, researching before purchase
The power on the Ecodiesel isn't pretty decent. My nephew has one and I have driven it on several long road trips. (He hates driving that far). I have a pretty serious lead foot and still averaged 28mpg. Never relay felt like it was down on power either, even when passing. My current truck has 100hp on his, but his still felt like it had plenty of power on the highway.

I will likely be trading my current V8 F150 for a EDiesel soon.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Rebel GT
Engine
Hemi e-torque
I have the 21 1500 E Torque and I hate it. I had the 2018 Ram 1500 and traded it in for the 2021. Had lifter noise issues.
My friend has the Eco Diesel and he loves it. Has close to 100 k no issues. Says it has great gas mileage. I drove the truck and the power is presentable. The only thing I hate is you have to add DIF. That is a pain in the ass.
Why do you hate the e torque? Mine is butter smooth and sounds fantastic. Can't tell it is an e torque but it pulls smoothly from a stop and shifts are imperceivable. It a GT. Rest of the time is sounds like a Hemi with a Cat Back exhaust.

AJNY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Why do you hate the e torque? Mine is butter smooth and sounds fantastic. Can't tell it is an e torque but it pulls smoothly from a stop and shifts are imperceivable. It a GT. Rest of the time is sounds like a Hemi with a Cat Back exhaust.
I don’t like the truck shuts off when you stop. My 2018 didn’t do that.
The dealer ordered all of his 1500’s with e-Torque. I rather have just had the Hemi. But the truck sounds good with great power towing. I had a 2018 Rebel which I loved but traded it due to the lifter noise. Had 17k on her. Low and behold 900 miles lifter noise.
I heard Chevy has the same problems with lifters. A guy on here told me his Toyota has lifter issues.
Who knows anymore.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Rebel GT
Engine
Hemi e-torque
The truck has the OPTION to shut off when you stop. I NEVER let that happen. Push the start button and immediately push the button to disable the auto off. Its that simple. My BMW has the same nonsense, and I push the button to disable that auto off too.

Have you driven a Hemi with E-torque for any length of time? its impressive.
Don't let the silly auto off stop you

drmoreau

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
You guys who are commuting in trucks with crap mileage: Get a basic passenger car. Or a motorcycle. Trucks are for hauling stuff around. Or towing. I do both. Otherwise I drive something with at least 35 mpg.

My wife has a Subaru Crosstrek that gets about 35 mpg, and we are on the list for the new Subaru Solterra electric car. If you can use a computer and cell phone you can certainly see the future, and it is electric. FWIW, Subaru has the best all weather road holding of anything you can buy affordably. You want to drive the Rubicon Trail, then use your Jeep.

That said, I am looking at a lightly used oil burner because I can fuel up with Renewable Diesel. I can mostly kick the fossil diesel to the curb. As someone who worked in the oil patch, I can tell you that the petroleum industry is no friend of Mother Earth. Right now we only have one planet, so why **** where we sleep?

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
If you can't find an Eco-Diesel, order yourself one! Get a truck that's made exactly as you want it. Every time I've ordered a car with just the options I wanted, I've loved the car. You pay only for the stuff you want and MOST dealers are more than happy to give you a good price on a vehicle they don't have to carry or finance.