Traded in my 2017 6.4 Hemi for a new 3500 Cummins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

odinjunior

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My truck was worth more than I thought so I took advantage. I wouldn't say I got a killer deal but I'm happy.
My last Cummins/Ram was a 2009 so I'm going to have to cruise the forum to see whats new.
Old on the left, new on the right.

New_truck_1.jpg

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’ve noticed often that guys who get stupid good deals never disclose any actual numbers. That could be because “stupid good” is not a standard unit of measure.

If you think you’ve outsmarted a multi billion dollar corporation, with teams of lawyers and accountants, or the banks with with their team of financial experts, good for you. Lol.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
@Firebird - awesome looking machine. Why'd you go with diesel? How many miles were on your 2017?

OP
OP
odinjunior

odinjunior

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Firebird I went with Diesel because we bought a 30Ft toy hauler. We took the RV behind the 2017 from AZ to PA and back about 5,500 Miles. Truck did it but it complained the whole way. Fuel Mileage went from a low of 5.8 to a High of 8.5.

Old truck had 21K on the odometer and 410 gears

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
@Firebird - awesome looking machine. Why'd you go with diesel? How many miles were on your 2017?
My 6.4 was a 2019, but the dealer really wanted it. I put 20,000 miles on it, and ended up getting $4K more than I paid for it new. I went diesel because there was no need to trade out to another 6.4 (I already loved mine) and we are considering jumping up to a larger 5th wheel.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They make money from the LOAN, not the vehicle.

If you financed your last vehicle, and rolled your payments over to the new vehicle, I guarentee, they got cha.

They'll tell you on paper how they're giving you more for your old vehicle. Did you figure in on how much interest you paid on the last truck? Did you figure how much interest you're going to be paying on the new one? Extended warranty? <That's pure profit 85% of the time.

Remember Sears stores? Craftsman tools? Sears was a credit card company that sold tools.

You like your new truck? Cool. I love new vehicles. You didn't come out a head on that deal, I'd bet my next paycheck on that.

OP
OP
odinjunior

odinjunior

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They make money from the LOAN, not the vehicle.

If you financed your last vehicle, and rolled your payments over to the new vehicle, I guarentee, they got cha.

They'll tell you on paper how they're giving you more for your old vehicle. Did you figure in on how much interest you paid on the last truck? Did you figure how much interest you're going to be paying on the new one? Extended warranty? <That's pure profit 85% of the time.

Remember Sears stores? Craftsman tools? Sears was a credit card company that sold tools.

You like your new truck? Cool. I love new vehicles. You didn't come out a head on that deal, I'd bet my next paycheck on that.
Well then I guess they lost money on my deal because I paid cash for both trucks. Please forward your next paycheck.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Congrats to both of y'all. Both very nice trucks.
Details on the deal don't matter as long as your happy and satisfied with it, that's all that matters.

My 2017 has about 15,800 miles on it and I'm sure the local dealers would love to have it, but I'm happy with it. No desire for anything else right now (except a new TT which we do need...but prices are too inflated at the moment)

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you really did pay cash, congratulations on being weird. Seriously. About 80% of new trucks are financed.

Your dealership made money. Guaranteed. If they didn't make much off of the truck you bought, they made money off the vehicle you traded in. But they made money off the deal somewhere.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Never pay cash on a vehicle (or any expensive purchase) if you can get a loan for lass than 4%. Why? Because you will generally make 6% more investing that money.

OP, I paid cash on 5 acres of land for in a new undeveloped subdivision for $55k, sat on it for 5 years paying $6k in taxes, and sold it for $85k leaving me with $24k profit. That is a lot more than the measly $2,600(1.9% interest) I paid to finance my truck.

Last edited:

Moose2

Military
Reaction score
I’ve noticed often that guys who get stupid good deals never disclose any actual numbers. That could be because “stupid good” is not a standard unit of measure.

If you think you’ve outsmarted a multi billion dollar corporation, with teams of lawyers and accountants, or the banks with with their team of financial experts, good for you. Lol.
“Deals” are relative, are they not? A good deal around here is a lot different than a “good deal” in commifornia, new pork, etc. If buyer is happy, that’s what counts.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
If you really did pay cash, congratulations on being weird. Seriously. About 80% of new trucks are financed.

Your dealership made money. Guaranteed. If they didn't make much off of the truck you bought, they made money off the vehicle you traded in. But they made money off the deal somewhere.
Of course they made money, they are in business to make money, not lose it. Just like me, I'm in business to make money. It all boils down to it being a good deal for both parties