Tradesman led light bar add on anyone?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ADUBIS

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I’m sure many of you have led light bars installed. I ran into a set of 6 inch leds that fit where the tow hooks come through the front bumper. My intent is to use them to supplement my headlamps or act as fog lights if you will.
Most of these kits come with a power switch but in my state, to pass safety inspection they have to automatically turn off when the headlight high beam is on. They also have to be able to be manually turned off and on when the headlight low beam is on.
Any thoughts on how this might be accomplished would be greatly appreciated.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I ran my trigger for my relay from my high-beam wire through a switch to the relay. This gives me the option of running high beams with or without the light bar. I can't run the light bars, (the bigger ones anyway) without both the switch and the high beams being on. killing the high beams also kills the circuit.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I’m sure many of you have led light bars installed. I ran into a set of 6 inch leds that fit where the tow hooks come through the front bumper. My intent is to use them to supplement my headlamps or act as fog lights if you will.
Most of these kits come with a power switch but in my state, to pass safety inspection they have to automatically turn off when the headlight high beam is on. They also have to be able to be manually turned off and on when the headlight low beam is on.
Any thoughts on how this might be accomplished would be greatly appreciated.
You would need to do the opposite of what sbarron did- run your 6” lights all by themselves on a switch like you normally would. Then, somewhere just before the lights, add a relay that uses the high beam wire to trigger the open circuit on the relay. OR...if you don’t have factory fogs already, if you use your 6” lights on the fog light circuit and headlight switch with the fog light button, you’ll get the same behavior you’re describing. You would need to enable the fog light circuit for that method.