2015 Ram Sport LED and Alfa Settings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TomV73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Replaced my low beam halogens with some Sealight LED's. They work for a while then blink a couple of times then go out. The dash then says that I have a headlight out. I have changed the settings using AlfaODB for LED Low Beam Lamps Present to yes. This change did not have any affect. Is there anything else that needs to be changed?

Sealight sent me a "decoder" which I suppose really means resistor. I am hesitant to use these because of the heat that would be generated and afraid of it melting something since it would be inside the headlight housing.

Edit: I finally found a youtube video on a 2016 model that said setting HID headlights to yes in AlfaODB is needed. Once I set this everything works now. No idea why this would be needed since bulbs I have are LED.

Options to set:
CBC Features: LED Low Beam Lamps Present - set to yes
VehConfig 3: High Intensity Discharge Headlamps - set to yes

Not sure if it made any difference but I went ahead and changed the voltages too. On my 2015 it was set to 13.0 V.

CBC Extern.Light.Calibr.: Right Low Beam Voltage Regulation - set to 12.0V
CBC Extern.Light.Calibr.: Left Low Beam Voltage Regulation - set to 12.0V

Last edited:

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The canbus compatibility is a huge issue. I believe that is some circuitry, not just a resistor. Mine had the modules molded on the power cord. They must state that they are 100% compatible with the Ram.

I did the low, high beam and fog light LED's in my '16 sport (projectors) and changed everything on AlfaOBD and have had no problems.

Oddly enough, I got mine off Amazon. I went cheap because I wanted to see if they would work, or if I had to go to HID's. They worked great with a perfect razor edge cutoff line when aimed. So much better than the 9005 bulbs.

I would also pickup a pair of light housing extended covers, as the LED's with the heat sink on the back could benefit from the additional air flow space.

Last edited:

ebirotedu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8
FWIW, I have a 2015 Ram 1500 Sport 4x4 Crew with the projector headlamps built in July of 2015. Just replaced all the halogen lighting up front (9012 low-beams, 9005 high beam/bright, and the 9006 fog lights) with Auxito LEDs. Very happy with the result thus far.

It was indicated at time of purchase (Amazon) that I might need a ballast for the LEDs, and to contact the vendor if required. I did notice some pretty minor flickering from the high beam when testing it in park and at idle, but not when I was driving. I did request the ballasts for both high & lows and stashed them in the truck for future use if needed, but don't plan to install them unless I have an issue - the high beam flicker is really minor and I only noticed it that one time at install when I was looking for it. Been driving with these for a few weeks now, including probably 10 hours in the dark on multiple trips on the lows, including a couple that lasted more than an hour, and am not seeing any issues. I don't have all the part #s handy, but I have the Auxito's M3 9012 LED. No problems fitting any of the LEDs into the stock projector lamps either.

The one Ram TSB I can find relating to headlamps indicates that there was an acknowledgement that the TIPM code needed to be updated in some 2015 models to increase voltage to the lights, and the bulletin was issued close to 3 months before my build date. Not sure if my 1500 came off the line with this updated code, or if the TIPM was updated when the dealer was trying to troubleshoot an intermittent short in my electrical due to a water leak a couple years ago.

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
FWIW, I have a 2015 Ram 1500 Sport 4x4 Crew with the projector headlamps built in July of 2015. Just replaced all the halogen lighting up front (9012 low-beams, 9005 high beam/bright, and the 9006 fog lights) with Auxito LEDs. Very happy with the result thus far.

It was indicated at time of purchase (Amazon) that I might need a ballast for the LEDs, and to contact the vendor if required. I did notice some pretty minor flickering from the high beam when testing it in park and at idle, but not when I was driving. I did request the ballasts for both high & lows and stashed them in the truck for future use if needed, but don't plan to install them unless I have an issue - the high beam flicker is really minor and I only noticed it that one time at install when I was looking for it. Been driving with these for a few weeks now, including probably 10 hours in the dark on multiple trips on the lows, including a couple that lasted more than an hour, and am not seeing any issues. I don't have all the part #s handy, but I have the Auxito's M3 9012 LED. No problems fitting any of the LEDs into the stock projector lamps either.

The one Ram TSB I can find relating to headlamps indicates that there was an acknowledgement that the TIPM code needed to be updated in some 2015 models to increase voltage to the lights, and the bulletin was issued close to 3 months before my build date. Not sure if my 1500 came off the line with this updated code, or if the TIPM was updated when the dealer was trying to troubleshoot an intermittent short in my electrical due to a water leak a couple years ago.
What did the TSB say the voltage should be raised to? I will check my body computer log to see where mine is set (that setting is in BCM and can be changed with AlfaOBD). The BCM also has the changes for Halogen, HID and LED.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
What did the TSB say the voltage should be raised to? I will check my body computer log to see where mine is set (that setting is in BCM and can be changed with AlfaOBD). The BCM also has the changes for Halogen, HID and LED.
Have you verified that the AlfaOBD change changes the voltage going to the headlamp?

A few years ago I replaced my headlamp halogens with HIDs in the projectors and LEDs for the high beams. I was unable to get the BCM to work with the new lighting. At the time, others were attempting the same and had the same issues as I did. Parameter changes to the BCM didn't seem to make a change to the behavior.

My 2015 was built in April of 2015. As many times the truck was at the dealer for recalls (3500 Cummins), there was never a mention of updating the BCM, just about every other module had an update.

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here is a snippet of the BCM concerning voltages. They are adjustable:

CBC Extern.Light Calibr.:
Auto Headlamp On Threshold (0‐5 V): 3.314 V
Auto Headlamp Off Threshold (0‐5 V): 2.549 V
Left Side DRL Voltage Target: 7.4 V