Trailer brake choices have changed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MFSNanaimo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are 4 choices for trailer brakes. They should be
  1. Light electric
  2. Heavy electric
  3. Light electric over hydraulic
  4. heavy electric over hydraulic
I know those were the settings last fall, but now I lost the LOH and have 2 of the light electric settings.

Has anyone seen this before and is there a way to get it back?

Last edited:

jvbuttex

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I-6
funny you bring this up, I was just switching the truck for DST and noticed the trailer brake selection. I opened it, same settings as you have, bummer is the LIGHT is not very light, recently I had a dual axle box trailer with elec brakes on. When it was empty, I really had to feather the brakes to keep it from locking up the wheels... I wish the lighter was lighter setting.

Goram17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7hemi
Even choosing light or heavy you can adjust with +or-. And you can name trailer and keep mileage on it it'll remember settings because I haul to Georgia heavy and lighter on way back I have to adjust it

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Even choosing light or heavy you can adjust with +or-. And you can name trailer and keep mileage on it it'll remember settings because I haul to Georgia heavy and lighter on way back I have to adjust it

This.

Adjust the gain down to where it won't lock the trailer brakes.

Typically to adjust trailer brakes you drive about 15 mph or so and apply full trailer brake only via the manual slider switch. You adjust the gain until the brakes lock up, then back down the gain just until they don't and your set.

Give that a shot and see how they are. Good luck

jvbuttex

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I-6
Thanks i'll go look for that gain setting.

jvbuttex

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I-6
This.

Adjust the gain down to where it won't lock the trailer brakes.
Yesterday I was in the truck, i looked through the options for brake controller, could not find any place to adjust the gain. I assume its a software +/- button on the screen for that particular trailer option.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
On the manual slider, do you have + and - buttons? That's how I adjust mine.