Trailer brake controller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rcmedic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine
I am sooo totally unhappy. I took my 2015 Ram 2500 with 6.7 Turbo Diesel to the local dealership that just changed ownership which I believe is part of the problem. The short story is that my trailer brake controller even when set on MAX gain would not even hold the truck at dead idle on flat level ground. While the dealer was supposedly repairing a couple of recalls, I asked them to check the trailer brake controller that was clearly not functioning properly. They did, and subsequently "Reflashed/Reprogrammed" the trailer brake controller. My issue is that they charged me $76 to do it. How is it that they think it reasonable to charge me anything at all to fix something that was apparently wrong on the day the vehicle left the manufacturing plant, especially given that it is a safety concern. Adding insult to injury the labor involves plugging in the computer (5 seconds) reprogramming the unit (<5 minutes). Including the repair of Recalls that was quoted to take less than 1 hour, they kept my truck for the entire 8 hour day, in spite of the fact that I was the First customer of the day AND scheduled 2 weeks in advance. I am definately NOT happy with this dealership at all. The shame is that the prior owners were nothing short of exceptional in the service. Is this something worth kicking up to FCA?

Jakebrake12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Kind of an unrelated question for you. Do you know if all late model 2500 and 3500 pick ups have the integrated trailer brake module incorporated as standard equipment?

OP
OP
rcmedic

rcmedic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine
No warranty and still having similar issues today. 12-14-2022

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Okay so I'll ask since no one else has - I presume you're saying it won't hold you still when you are connected to a trailer?

What kind of trailer are you hooked up to? With a light trailer such as a flatbed, it's likely that the Cummins is simply overpowering the brakes/tires on the trailer.

It could also be an issue with your trailer's brakes - they may be worn or out of adjustment. Have you tried hooking the trailer to a different truck?

I know on my '17 I can select light electric or heavy electric brakes - if you have them set to the wrong one for the trailer you're using, it will send the wrong voltage to the brakes.