Trailer brake ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ILLXJ

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Running brakes on one axle, which do you recommend front or rear?

Thanks,
JIM.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
^^^this
with as inexpensive as entire brake assemblies can be bought on eTrailer it's sorta a no brainier to have brakes on both axles.

OP
OP
ILLXJ

ILLXJ

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I thought that would be the response. I bought the trailer in 97 with no brakes. Swapped in an axles with larger hubs & brakes on the one. Only towed within 250 miles for a lot of years. Couple of years ago took the Jeep to Moab, planning on going again in a year or two, going through the mountains I thought the braking could be better. It will have brakes on both axles before the next trip.

JIM.

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Aside from the obvious better solution to have brakes on both axles, I'd put the brakes on the front axle simply because trailers are heavier towards the front to achieve tongue weight.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Aside from the obvious better solution to have brakes on both axles, I'd put the brakes on the front axle simply because trailers are heavier towards the front to achieve tongue weight.

Many people have the same perception, however almost every multiple axle trailer has an equalizer between the axles, which does exactly what it’s named; equalize the load. There are exceptions such as horse trailers, Airstreams, or other upmarket trailers equipped with torsion axles.

Last edited:

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I thought that would be the response. I bought the trailer in 97 with no brakes. Swapped in an axles with larger hubs & brakes on the one. Only towed within 250 miles for a lot of years. Couple of years ago took the Jeep to Moab, planning on going again in a year or two, going through the mountains I thought the braking could be better. It will have brakes on both axles before the next trip.

JIM.

A lot of older flatbed-style trailers only have brakes on one axle, generally the front axle for some reason. I know this because I used to have one, it was I think a 8k trailer? It's been a while since I got rid of it, flat tires and all, so I really don't remember, but I know I hauled a 2500 Chevy on it once that it didn't care for.

Most double-axle trailers now have brakes on both axles. My current 7k flatbed has brakes on both axles.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's very common for the tandem 3500 lb. axle trailers (7k total GVW) to only have one braking axle when you go look at them on the lot. The second braking axle is typically an option. In my experience it's almost rare to find dual brakes until you get into the 5,200 lb. axle class on the lot. Out of curiosity I pulled up the website to our local large trailer dealer and did a quick glance and every tandem axle 7,000 GVW flatbed/car hauler they had was just one axle.