Trailer Brakes making a very faint ticking sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2019RamInSC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All four trailer brakes make a barely audible ticking, tapping not quite knocking noise. When connected to tow vehicle and the engine is running or the lites are on.

No, it is not the normal trailer brake activation noise. That is more like a electronic solenoid noise. I am familiar with that noise.

This ticking happens at about 2-3 times per second. Only reason I noticed it was that I was placing the wheel chocks after moving the trailer.

Is this normal?? Never heard it before.
Or is this a new 5th Gen Feature:33:

Thanks

New Truck 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie.
New Trailer 2020 Luxury Surveyor 267RBSS

OP
OP
2019RamInSC

2019RamInSC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, someone from the Surveyor Trailer Forum thought it might be the RAM sending a "pulse" to check to see if a trailer is connected??

Any thoughts??

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I think it is the pulse to check for brake connection. It is in time with the light flashing on my break-away switch. The light is very faint so I only noticed it a night.

OP
OP
2019RamInSC

2019RamInSC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think it is the pulse to check for brake connection. It is in time with the light flashing on my break-away switch. The light is very faint so I only noticed it a night.

Thanks, I have read a few posts on here and Forest River Forum that seems to agree with you. Although have not seen the part about the a lite on the break away switch. Not sure if mine has a light. I will check tomorrow.

I am going to assume the clicking is normal.

Thanks again.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I like the Hopkins HM20060 break away switches because they have the LED for testing the switch. I think it is normal.