Trailer Brakes Won't disengage to backup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spahrs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2020 1500 Ram. Just got a new boat trailer with surge brakes and a flat 5 pin plug. I am not getting any power to that fifth pin (blue wire on trailer) to disengage the brakes to back up. I have to manually go put the key in on the trailer to back up. Everything works fine on my friends truck - so trailer isn't the problem. DId some basic wire testign and am getting no power on that pin from the truck side. Everything else works - stop lights, turn signals, etc... I have been searching the fuse panels but can't find anything blown out unless I am missing something. Is there something not hooked up right on the harness on the truck or is there a specific fuse I should be looking at or adding? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SOKY_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just making sure. You are testing that pin with the truck in reverse right? That pin should be hot while your backup lights are on.

OP
OP
S

spahrs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, I have the truck running and in reverse (with a friend helping me). The reverse lights come on, but no power to that pin. I am using an adapter to go from 5 pin to the round 7. That adapter works on my friends truck.

SOKY_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would test the center pin on your 7 way (no adapter) with your reverse lights on. If it doesn't show power let the dealer figure that out since your truck is brand new.

ToyHaulin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L v8 Hemi® MDS VVT
I bought a Curtis tester to make sure the reverse signal was working on my previous vehicle. My boat trailer has UFP a60 actuator which uses a solenoid valve. I believe the valve recirculates brake fluid to the reservoir, allowing the actuator to compress without sending pressure to the trailer brakes. I keep a lockout pin with the trailer in case this mechanism fails on the road.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
All 6 powered pins of the 7 pin trailer plug are individually fused. Look for a fuse referencing something like Trailer Tow reverse.