Trailer Running Lights INOP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MoparDriver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello,
I have read through the other posts on this and not found my resolve. Please read.

I have a 2012 Big Horn 5.7 4x4 with Trailer Tow Lights connector mounted to the bumper

I am the Second owner and assume it is factory. the Truck lights work perfect. Having towed many vehicles and boats with no trouble I was surprised to find out that I had no Trailer Running Lights. I hooked two different trailers that I own and all had the same problem, I also hook them up to my other vehicle, no problem - so the problem is in my truck.

I have a four way tester, which confirms the problem.

I disconnected the Hopkins connector (see illustration) mounted at my bumper and found power to each of the Left right and Running Light pins on the Truck side of the connector, so the problem is the connector right? (removeable piece mounted to the bumper).

I replaced the connector unit with new, to no resolve.

This has to be a ground issue. any thoughts? - Dan

UPDATE - I hanged the J14 20A fuse (see diagram) all is good now.
thank you all for your help - D

Attachments

• 4wire tester.JPG
    4wire tester.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Dormon connector.JPG
    Dormon connector.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 5
  • Hopkins connector Truck connector side.JPG
    Hopkins connector Truck connector side.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 2012 Ram 1500 fuse box_LI.jpg
    2012 Ram 1500 fuse box_LI.jpg
    914.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
Trailer lights have a separate fuse. I’ve worked for U-Haul for 14 years. Customers always blaming our trailers. It’s rarely our trailers. 99% of the time it’s just a fuse. Check your fuses.

FYI: for future reference. The left and right turn signals are fused separately also. Some trucks the brake lights are too. Meaning, some vehicles have up to 4 fuses for the trailer connection. More if your running electric brakes, a hot wire or trailer back up lights.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MoparDriver

MoparDriver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you. I will check the fuses. Seems strange to me that I have Running Light Power in my Hardwired connector (with Hopkins connector removed), with the running lights on but no power at the pin on the Trailer Side of the connector with it installed.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you. I will check the fuses. Seems strange to me that I have Running Light Power in my Hardwired connector (with Hopkins connector removed), with the running lights on but no power at the pin on the Trailer Side of the connector with it installed.
If the trailer lights work with different vehicles and if you're not getting power on the trailer side but the truck side has power then there seems to be a connection issue. With the trailer wire plugged into the truck wiggle the connector and see if the lights work. I ran into a similar problem with my 7x11 enclosed trailer. It had no running lights. It wound up being the ground on the trailer side but I replaced the connector anyway

OP
OP
MoparDriver

MoparDriver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good Moring Rlaf75, thank you for your comment. Even with the Trailer disconnected, and the four Wire tester pugged in the Running lights do not work 100% of the time. As you suggested I have wiggled the plug, the back side of the connector to no avial. I am going to look for fuses. - D

BudsRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
I know that this is an old thread but the J14 fuse doesn't exist in my 2015 Ram 1500 3.6l. I would really like to fix this trailer running lights issue. Is there a a fuse comparable to this J14 fuse in my truck or have I been tricked?
Any info is appreciated

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Owners manual is your friend.